Upgrading Radiator and Trans. cooler...

Adventurer
I'm interested in upgrading the Radiator in my truck to an aluminum GM unit from Jegs. They have the inlet/outlet in the same locations and come in different sizes..one of which comes very close, if not exact, to a Rover rad. With it would go a dual 12" electric fan set-up to replace the pulley driven fan. The fans located infront of the condensor would also be replaced since they currently dont work.

In addition, I'd like to upgrade my somewhat beat-up trans. cooler while doing the flush. This one would be mounted DIRECTLY behind the grill with its own fan as well ( I WILL make it all fit! ) The pipes would also be replaced with Stainless Steel lines.

Just curious to know if anyone on here has done anything similar with their 4.0/ZF combo Rover and what the results were.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Looking forward to your retrofit! I ended up going with a new stock radiator two years ago as I didn't have the time to figure out remotely mounting the trans and oil coolers that are built into the stock radiator. I've always felt that the stock radiator is right on the edge of its capacity, escpecially when running in the desert in the summer!

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
01001010 said:
I'm interested in upgrading the Radiator in my truck to an aluminum GM unit from Jegs.... With it would go a dual 12" electric fan set-up to replace the pulley driven fan. The fans located infront of the condensor would also be replaced since they currently dont work.

In addition, I'd like to upgrade my somewhat beat-up trans. cooler while doing the flush. This one would be mounted DIRECTLY behind the grill with its own fan as well ( I WILL make it all fit! ) The pipes would also be replaced with Stainless Steel lines.

Just curious to know if anyone on here has done anything similar with their 4.0/ZF combo Rover and what the results were.

I've done some of what you describe, at the same time I upgraded my '97 D-90 4.0 to a 4.6 short block. The radiator is aluminum and was built by a local racing shop, coordinated by Eddie Bostock at West Coast Rovers. A new trans cooler was relocated to behind my steering skid plate, and includes an electric fan. I'm still running the stock viscous-coupled radiator fan. I have the a/c condensor fan wired so I can manually activate it.

I did all this to address long-standing overheating issues, which began before the engine upgrade. The new cooling system is an improvement, although my transmission still runs hotter than I'd like when towing.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Does the 4.6 run hotter than the 4.0, don't think so but thought I'd ask? Also, did the remote Tranny cooler help at all over running it through the stock radiator? I get my auto tranny warmed up too much when I'm towing the AT on grades so was considering a remote tranny cooler in line with the stock. Also, did you bypass the oil cooling system?

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Andrew Walcker said:
Does the 4.6 run hotter than the 4.0, don't think so but thought I'd ask? Also, did the remote Tranny cooler help at all over running it through the stock radiator? I get my auto tranny warmed up too much when I'm towing the AT on grades so was considering a remote tranny cooler in line with the stock. Also, did you bypass the oil cooling system?

With everything working properly, the 4.6 does not seem to run any hotter than the 4.0.

I added a transmission temp guage at the same time as the external cooler, so I really don't know what the temperatures were like before then. I just figure it has to be making some difference. (The original reason for the external tranny cooler was actually to address engine-coolant temps, not so much for the transmission's sake.)

I'm pulling a lot of weight--a perennially-overloaded D-90 and a similarly-stuffed CampaATT--and on grades, the transmission still runs much hotter than I'd like: virtually always over 220, often approaching 250 (which is where I'll pull over and cool down). I've just switched to full synthetic ATF, and am going to see if that makes any difference. I'll also probably either add a second inline cooler, or replace what I've got with something higher-capacity.

The new radiator doesn't incorporate an oil cooler, so that is now remote as well (mounted in front of the radiator, adjacent to the a/c fan).

Last edited:

Adventurer
Wow, so sorry for the delay! I've had quite a busy fall/winter and havent been able to touch my truck much.

Thank you so much for the info guys. I'm getting ready to tackle the Transmission flush soon and am now beginning to shop for all the parts.

Ganesha! Out of several forums I've posted on, you are finally the first I read of to have done the transmission cooler swap! Do you have a thread or pictures documenting this modification???

Last edited:

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
01001010 said:
Ganesha! Out of several forums I've posted on, you are finally the first I read of to have done the transmission cooler swap! Do you have a thread or pictures documenting this modification???

No, but I could take some pictures to show how things are currently set up. I've added a second 16-pass Derale Electra-Cool remote transmission radiator, with a 10" 650 CFM Tornado electric fan.

13700-large.jpg

They're both mounted just inboard of my steering-protector skid plate, with the fans pushing (rather than pulling) air through the coolers.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
This is an interesting thread. I have pondered a similar kind of set up for a long time using the Derales trans cooler. I am curious to see how you guys do/did the retrofit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke