661 Veggie Knee wrap???

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey!

I had my left knee replaced 6 weeks ago, and have been cleared to ride again. I'm really looking forward to riding easy trails again! It's been many years since I've taken a bike off the pavement, and it's one of my goals after completing my PT/rehab.

With a total knee, I need to protect the joint from damage - even a minor wound can cause infection. Since the body doesn't recognize the implants, the chances for serious infection are greatly increased. Heck, I have to take antibiotics to get my teeth cleaned!

After talking to several of the local bike shops I've settled on the 661 Veggie Knee Wrap.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...&product=0c3a5548-562b-47af-bc23-350f81b51639

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Mark

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have a similar neoprene brace with an internal metal frame for ROM control for use on my left knee. I've had 2 surgeries on it and will someday have to do the replacement like you just did. All the styles are similar and to me the most important thing was getting one large enough for a comfortable fit because my biggest complaints on hikes is my quad pushing the sleeve down and then the fact that they are hot and not all that comfortable. Just get used to it and try to make it part of your routine. Good luck and glad to hear that you're recovering. :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hey Mark,

I have a suggestion. Before you buy anything, you might talk to a couple of our local PTs. Rick Cimaglia at the Center for Physical Excellence is a former team mate of mine and a pretty phenominal rider. He's actually a world class rider. He understands the dynamic behind pedaling forces and would be a great resource. There's another PT in town....Phillip. I think he works at the hospital. He's an extremely avid triathlete. Same deal. he would understand what you're after. Finding someone who understands the medical aspect and the cycling aspect is really critical here.

Most of these knee devices are for impact protection and little more. See if you can get in touch with Rick. He's been a PT for ions and there's no one I'd trust more if I had a cycling related question of this sort.

Cheers,

Christophe

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the replies!

Impact protection and avoiding abrasions is my main concern. I had a chat with my PT guy tonight, Vernon at Mountain Valley Rehab (who's also a road bike guy - he rides from west Prescott to PV every day via 89A). He felt the 661 veggie wrap should work OK for my limited biking. I doubt if I'll be doing much more than ten miles or so - I was doing 6 or 7 miles prior to the surgery on pavement, and if I get back to riding 10 or 12 on dirt, I'll be real pleased! I used like to ride up in Williams, AZ., on the FS roads and trails, and rarely exceeded 2 or 3 hours of pedaling.

Christophe, if it is too uncomfortable, I'll definately contact your recommended guy's!

Spent an hour in the rehab pool this afternoon (Vernon damn near killed me), and I expect to be released from formal rehab either Mon or Wed. I'm at 118 degs of free motion, and should hit 120 by then. Then it up to me to continue to gain strength and flexability. They've given me the tools, and I'll keep working hard. It's been a fast 6 weeks!

Mark

Mark

Twenty-niner

Mark,

With your desire to be well-informed and a committment to taking your recuperation slowly, you'll be back at it in no time.

I find the idea of a knee replacement fascinating. Do you happen to have any photos of the procedure or of your knee now?

Re: Christophe's advice... speak with Rick Cimaglia, but do not ride with the man. It's an extremely painful experience.

Greg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The knee still swells up after a few hours at work - it looks better first thing in the morning. My surgeon did a nice job connecting all my other scars...

I'll post one from the day I got home from surgery when I get home.

I was under conscience sedation for the operation, but don't remember it. I had a Stryker Triathlon joint installed via a computer assisted technique.

http://www.aboutstryker.com/knee/treatment/triathlon.php

http://www.aboutstryker.com/shared/treatment/navigation.php?type=knee

Last edited:

Twenty-niner

Fascinating that they can do that. I wish they had a photo of that contraption on their website. I'd like to see what a faux knee looks like.

You're bionic now! What's the pricetag like on something like that?

thecriscokid

Explorer
RE: Veggie wrap

I do have some experience with the 661 products and I wear the Kyle Strait Knee Guard and highly recommend them over the Veggie Wrap. The KS Knee guard is slightly bulkier at first but break in really well and are flexible enough to pedal comfortably. I wear my KS's for some trail rides as well as snowmobile skiing. I will also highly recommend the the 661 D30 Knee guards. Though I have not worn them yet, I have tried them on and the d3o and they do fit slightly larger than the KS's. The d30 insert is also removable for a Veggie wrap style pad.
Best

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey thecriscokid!

Welcome to the crew! Road a mile and a half Sat with the veggie on, it was reasonably comfortable and should give me the peace of mind I need for the time being. Thanks for the advice on the other products!

Mark

Twenty-niner said:
Fascinating that they can do that. I wish they had a photo of that contraption on their website. I'd like to see what a faux knee looks like.

You're bionic now! What's the pricetag like on something like that?

It's right around 70K including the pre-surgical testing, hospital, Doc, and anesthesiologist...they used $12,800.00 in sterile supplies in surgery!

There should be a couple photos of the Triathlon Knee system in the links above.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior