Tire and rim question

stewwalker

Observer
Some one told me that it is not a good idea to run 12.5" wide tires on a 12" wide rim.

My problem is that I just got 4 new rims mounted on my truck that are supposed to be 15x10 but after measuring the rims they are more like 15x12.
Any thoughts?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
15x12 wheels are not easy to find,

X2.

Remember, they measure the 'width' at the inside of the lip. The outside edges will measure a bit larger.

index.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
To answer the original question, you should be fine.

Just remember, with the rim virtually as wide as the tire, the tire (sidewall) is not going to offer any protection to the rim, so you will end up more abrasions (from rocks and curbs) on the wheel than you may be used to.

Also, the vehicle's ride will probably be a little stiffer, due to the sidewall positioning (vertical vs. leaning in.)

LR Max

Local Oaf
15x12 rims can be had but are uncommon, to say the least. If you had a tire shop package them for you, then they will go with manufacturer recommendation which is most likely 15x10.

You should be fine but be cautious when airing down. A rim that wide on that tire can probably lose a bead very quickly. It seems like the jeep fellas have very good luck running 7 or 8" wide rims with 12.5" wide tires. Cheap and common wheel and keeps the tires on the wheels when aired down fairly well.

Also I recommend doing the chalk test to find our air pressure you should run. Messing around with rim sizes seems to require this extra attention. Also helps your tires wear evenly and make them last a long time :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier