My M416 Expedition Build Thread

fxk142

Observer
Well guys after searching for months, and monitoring craigslist daily, I have found a decent M416 trailer which I was able to pick up on the cheap ($225!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I purchased it from a Vietnam vet who showed us his machine gun, Bazooka and grenade collection before we left! Pretty cool guy. I went and picked it up yesterday and towed it home on a landscape trailer to my shop where the build will begin. The bed is solid, no rust through holes that I can see. Frame looks good too, nothing more than surface rust. And the rear tail was untouched and unmodified, no tailgate, so it's still water-tight.

No title came with the trailer. Coming from PA that is a problem, but I found out that I could register the trailer in Maine without being a resident, and without the need for a title. All I needed to provide was a Bill of Sale, pay the registration fee which in my case was $50 for 5 years, and pay a 5% Maine sales tax, which was $11.25. So for $61.25, it looks like problem solved. Try this site if you want to go through Maine: http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

Here are a few pics:

Trailer1.jpg

Trailer2.jpg

Trailer3.jpg

Trailer4.jpg

Building to match this:

SBS.jpg

The Lunette is gone, and was replaced by a 2" Ball hitch which I plan on removing.

Plans:
-Welding in a 2" reciever tube for a Max-Coupler
-I am going to blast the body and chassis
-Possibly poweder coat the frame
-Fab up new fenders to contain the bigger tires
-Either a SOA with a new 3500 lbs axle and new brakes or a custom trailing arm suspension with air bags. This will depend on how ambitious I am, and how well I do in the welding class I am currently taking
-Line-X the bed
-Aluminum Lid
-Tracks and Thule cross-bars for the lid to mount Kayaks, bikes, or RTT
-Box for the tongue to contain batteries
-Water tank
-Jerry-Can holders
-Propane tank and holder
-Rewire and put on new tail lights
-Matching 35x12.5x17 tires and wheels to my JKU (Mopar Winter Wheels like these)

Tires2.jpg

More to come.....:wings:

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Good luck with it!...awesome TV also....it should tow fine with that FJC....

:ylsmoke:

jk...lol..Jeep is beautiful!:smiley_drive:

Pat

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Where in Pa are you?
Very nice start, you sure you did not use his gun to steal this one?
$225.00 Nice!

fxk142

Observer
I just ordered a tongue plate from AT to convert my trailer to a 2" receiver tube to accept a Max-Coupler setup. Here is the link with instructions on what I will be doing: http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_project_12_pintle_hitch_conversion.htm

I still need to disassemble the trailer first and get it all blasted before the cutting, welding and grinding begins.

My brother is picking up an M-100 this weekend which we are getting for $300, but it is in a little rougher shape, needing a new floor. We will keep adding updates to the dual build process we will be performing over this winter.

fxk142

Observer
My Maine 5-year trailer tag and registration came in the mail today. Now I can take the thing on the road when all said and done. This sure beats dealing with the run around from the State of PA to get one of these things registered!

fxk142

Observer
All the schools around our area had off yesterday due to flooding issues. Our house was fine though. Central PA got nailed, I heard on the radio that the Susquehanna River was 18 feet above flood stage!

Yeah the PA process to title and register the trailer as a "Home Made" would have taken months, and would have cost about $300-350 after all said and done. With registration fees, title fees, inspection fees. The Maine process was painless, thankfully someone on the ih8mud trailer forum pointed me in that direction, otherwise I may not have purchased the trailer.

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Check out Midwest Military. They make replacement floors for both the M416 and the M100. They also have some of the hard to find parts. Good luck with the build.

fxk142

Observer
We just picked up my brother's trailer today, a little rougher than mine, but still a great deal for $300!

When we were getting gas at a Sheetz, a Vietnam vet was talking to my brother about the trailer. He said that he used to drive the Officers around in a M151 towing one of these trailers. He also said that the M100 and M416 were known as the beer trailers. They would fill the trailers with ice and then just pack tons of beers in, how awesome. What a great idea!

We plan on titling this one in Maine as well since there is no title once again.

Some pics of my brother's trailer:

M100pickup.jpg

m1005.jpg

m1004.jpg

M1003.jpg

M100.jpg

M1002.jpg

fxk142

Observer
We measured the width of my M416 vs. my brother's M100, and the M100 is about 3 inches narrower than the M416 at the rails and the bed. I never really realized this as they look almost identical besides the fender differences. His is a 1951 we think and mine is a 1967.

WCFJ

I welded in some braces before plasma cutting what was left of the floor.

I may need to do the same to the front panel, as the lower half is so far gone and there will not be much to weld to.

WCFJtrailer1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles