Bajataco's Baja trip report - Dec. 05

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Thanks KC and Robb

LOL! Yea, we had that tortilla bag open before I could even get the truck in reverse!

Actually, Sharon is the big Guinness fan :elkgrin: I like 'em too, but I prefer a little "sweeter". I'm a sucker for oatmeal stouts, porters and nut browns, among others.

(shhhh.. my liver might hear me! :xxrotflma )

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Chuck and Chris, thanks for the information on the books. I'll definitely pick up a copy of the Baja Almanac and go from there.

A few years ago for work I did a story on the lower Colorado River below the border and basically what is left (or isn't) of it. Travelled around a great deal on the Sonoran side, then went to San Felipe.

It was before I had a GPS, so I'm not sure where I camped on the eastern side of the Colorado near the Cienega de Santa Clara, but it was a great flat plain that once held water. About 20-feet below was the river. At night, the tidal bore came in - the great rush of water from the sea coming up the river as the tide came in- and it roared. I shined my spotlight on it and when all was said and done, the water was inches from coming over the edge. What a rush to see and experience. All night long I was a little worried about water lapping over the edge where we were camping.

Also paddled around in a boat in the man-made Cienega de Santa Clara, runoff water from American irrigation that is too low quality to put back into the river, but it has created an amazing birder's paradise.

We then headed over to San Felipe and hooked up with the boats to go to the clam beds. They were amazing, but it really enlightened me on how the damming of the Colorado is killing the Sea of Cortez. A hundred years ago, there were grizzly bears on the delta. It is amazing the power of man.

All this was in July - not the best time to visit Baja.

I'll dig up some of the photos and post them sometime if interested,

Can't wait to go on one of the Baja trips someday ...

Jeff

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jeff, excellent tales you are sharing with us! Hard to imagine steamers coming in from the Cortez, and traveling way up the Colorado to deliver supplies and people. Definitely share the pics if you have the time. That would be great. I have also read about the tidal bore there, and I can only imagine it - very cool that you got to experience that.

Grizzly's in the delta?? C'mon... could that be? It's all desert - have grizzlys ever inhabited lowland deserts? (other than to migrate?)

jeffryscott

BajaTaco said:
Jeff, excellent tales you are sharing with us! Hard to imagine steamers coming in from the Cortez, and traveling way up the Colorado to deliver supplies and people. Definitely share the pics if you have the time. That would be great. I have also read about the tidal bore there, and I can only imagine it - very cool that you got to experience that.

Grizzly's in the delta?? C'mon... could that be? It's all desert - have grizzlys ever inhabited lowland deserts? (other than to migrate?)

Ahhh, but it wasn't desert. It was once lush riparian from the mighty Colorado. Aldo Leopold described it in A Sand County Almanac.

"All this wealth of fowl and fish was not for our delectation alone. Often we came upon a bobcat, flattened to some half-immersed driftwood log, paw poised for mullet. Families of raccoons waded the shallows, munching water beetles. Coyotes watched us from inland knolls, waiting to resume their breakfast of mesquite beans, varied, I suppose, by an occasional crippled shore bird, duck, or quail. At every shallow burrow were tracks of burro deer. We always examined these deer trails, hoping to find signs of the despot of the Delta, the great jaguar, el tigre."

I can't find the reference ot the bears, or maybe the reporter told me that from his reading of its history, or I confused bears with beavers (I found reference to them) those few years ago. At any rate, it was once a mighty place that no expedition vehicle - except a boat or foot - could get through.

"On the map the Delta was bisected by the river, but in fact the river was nowhere and everywhere, for he could not decide which of a hundred green lagoons offered the most pleasant and least speedy path to the Gulf."
--Aldo Leopold, from A Sand County Almanac, describing the Colorado River Delta as it existed in 1922

blupaddler

Conspirator
Chris,
I know that Grizzly's were found in So Cal. I forget when exactly the last one was shot. But they roamed this land for a long time.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Oh, Chris...

I like the new tires!!! I assume they are working well?!?! I was checkin' them out in Baja. They look nice. My BFG's are starting to have some chunks and chips. Still holding up, but, hard drivng = hard wear.

:ylsmoke:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I don't doubt the lush riparian wilderness. And I don't doubt the bear used to live in SoCal, but I am skeptical of the grizz living at that altitude in that country. (mesquites?) I'm not disputing, just curious.

:lurk:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
blupaddler said:
Oh, Chris...

I like the new tires!!! I assume they are working well?!?! I was checkin' them out in Baja. They look nice. My BFG's are starting to have some chunks and chips. Still holding up, but, hard drivng = hard wear.

:ylsmoke:

Yea, I love em!! They survived the Baja trip very well. Now for some Arizona testing...

:jumping:

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Reference books

I've got a collection of over 70 books & 100 magazines & papers on Baja.

My 4 "must" books are:
The Baja Adventure Book by Walt Peterson.
The Baja Highway: Geology & Biology Field Guide by John Minch & Thomas Leslie.
Baja California Almanac.
Baja California Plant Field Guide by Norman Roberts.

Additional reference books:
Baja Hand Book by Joe Cummings.
There It Is: Baja by Mike McMahan.
Baja Legends by Greg Niemann.
Backroad Baja by Patti & Tom Higgenbotham.
The Cave Paintings of Baja California by Harry Crosby.
Los Misiones Antiguas The Spanish Missions of Baja California by Edward Vernon.

Chuck,
A couple of Books you will find interesting on Kayaking are:
Wind Water Sun by Ed Darack.
Kayaking The Vermillion Sea by Jonathon Waterman.

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
I've got a collection of over 70 books & 100 magazines & papers on Baja.

My 4 "must" books are:
The Baja Adventure Book by Walt Peterson.
The Baja Highway: Geology & Biology Field Guide by John Minch & Thomas Leslie.
Baja California Almanac.
Baja California Plant Field Guide by Norman Roberts.

Additional reference books:
Baja Hand Book by Joe Cummings.
There It Is: Baja by Mike McMahan.
Baja Legends by Greg Niemann.
Backroad Baja by Patti & Tom Higgenbotham.
The Cave Paintings of Baja California by Harry Crosby.
Los Misiones Antiguas The Spanish Missions of Baja California by Edward Vernon.

Chuck,
A couple of Books you will find interesting on Kayaking are:
Wind Water Sun by Ed Darack.
Kayaking The Vermillion Sea by Jonathon Waterman.

Thanks Al, I love buying books! :jump: I see several here I must get!

Darren

Adventurer
Chris, I finally took the time to read this. Glad I did! As mentioned, this is another wonderful report and sweet picture gallery to go along with it. A couple of those meals looked rather tasty--minus the tomatoes! Well done, sir!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Darren said:
Chris, I finally took the time to read this. Glad I did! As mentioned, this is another wonderful report and sweet picture gallery to go along with it. A couple of those meals looked rather tasty--minus the tomatoes! Well done, sir!

Thanks pal!

(note to self: next time camping with Darren, remember to leave the tomatoes at home) :p

jeffryscott

another shell island photo

Chris and anybody interested, here's a better shot of the shell islands north of San Felipe ...

Attachments

• delta shells 1.jpg
    delta shells 1.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94