M416 Build to go behind my CJ

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Ha Ha!
Post some pictures of the trailer with the Toyota.

Yeah very funny!

He uses it way more than I do but I am still not finished building on it. It needs bedliner, finish out of electrical box with more lights and power control, solar panel and upgrade of shower/kitchen water supply.

Here is his 2013 Taco TRD Sport 4x4:

Here it is with our trailer:

And our M416 campsite:

Note hammock stretched between truck tailgate and power box on trailer tongue!

These things are never finished.

BTW we are at Overland Expo 13. Third year in a row for us.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
After 3 years of debate, I have finally lost my battle to make the M416 go behind my CJ.

The CJ has finally been retired to car show status and show and shine events and is a Bad*ss Starbucks vehicle. Here she is today.
IMG_0133.jpg

A great vehicle that I have had a long time but really does not see much offroad anymore.

I have finally decided to "go in" with my son and use the 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 as our primary vehicle for offroad events. It has all the core features like AC and better than 8 mpg that my Jeep does not. So we decided to get serious about it. We added ARB locker, ARB air pump, spod power control, custom grill with LED light, rear springs and OME front coils and shocks to give it all a 3" lift. We powder coated all of the orginal rims to semi match the paint and replaced the trailer rims and tires with same rims and tires as Taco. New tires are 265/70R17 Duratracs. Here are a few pictures from today.

After about a year of no work on the trailer, we are back to putting together a list of mods for it. A never ending project that I thoroughly enjoy!!!

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Shoulda went with the original plan and the CJ, it's sweet!

I agree but the reality is the Jeep sits most of the time and the Taco doesn't. Ever tried driving without AC when it is 100+ outside!!! My better half keeps telling me that I am not as young as I think I am, and she is going to find me by the side of the road in the old Jeep.

I thought that was normal for old jeeps and old jeepsters!!!

SKT

Trailer looks great regardless of what's pulling it.

That CJ-7 deserves to be a show and shine only!

Appreciate the updates!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
This will be a long post since I have not posted since about 2014. For those that may remember I bought the M416 in 2010 and it was rough. My son and I started slowly and quickly found out how big a project we were starting. By 2014 we were pretty much finished, or so we thought.
The pics below show what we started with and what we ended up with. The detailed thread shows more about the process, the lid, the power box, etc. After that it was “let’s go camping”. Since about 2012 we have used it for everything from state & national parks to national lands all over the the western states as well as Overland Expo until about 2016.

In fall 2022 I was Leaving Great Sand Dunes National Forest primitive campsites and decided to take a shortcut over Medano Pass. At the top of the pass I misjudged the heavy rain, the angle of the primitive road, and how slippery the wet ground was and I am embarrassed to say, I rolled the M416! It was a perfect 360 roll thanks to the Pintle-lunette setup. (Old age sucks). With the help of 2 other overlanding vehicles that stopped to help, we got it back together, strapped the lid down and I went on the hike Mt. Massive and Mt Harvard and spend camping time in Colorado.

We only had minimal damage to the Tacoma (Tailgate scratch and tail light housing). The trailer was a different issue. The custom lid had significant damage as did the trailer fenders and the Harbor Freight tongue box. The trailer itself was slightly out of square but that is all. I started the very long assessment of everything for insurance. It was amusing to deal with the insurance company regarding a 1967 M416 and a custom lid from a company that no longer exist. I retired in January of 2023 so I started on the rebuild. Last month I had to have spinal surgery and was just released to light duty today. So now it is time to get serious.

I have already gone through the trailer axle and replaced all the bearings, seals, etc and reinstalled. The new lid has been reinstalled but needs tweaking as do the latches and new stronger hinges. We have learned a lot in 10-12 years of use. Below are the additional items that need to be completed:

- Repair/replace parts damaged on the ARB RTT
- Look at new hinges and latches for trailer lid
- Look at extending lunette to get trailer a little more away from rear of truck
- Replace trailer tail lights with LED assembly for original housing
- Reenforced welding on trailer fenders and powder coat same
- New Harbor Freight tongue box with:
* 2 100AH Li-ion batteries
* Victron 500W Phoenix inverter
* Victron Blue Smart 12v/25w shore power charger
* Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 Controller
* 3 12v general use sockets for misc power needs
* 1 dedicated 12v plug with inline DC-DC converter for heater
- Propex 2211 thermostatic-controlled propane external heater w/needed hoses
- Mission Solar MSE PERC 60 310W 24v Solar panel w/custom variable angle adjustment

I am sure I missed something and will probably need stuff that I have not thought of yet but let the process begin. I am pretty sure I enjoy the build as much as the use. More info to come and all suggestions, input, criticism, etc is welcome.

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    863.5 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member