Reverse light / camp light combo

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Looking for ideas for a powerful roof rack 12V light(s) that can switch on with the reverse lights as well as be switched on for camp / recovery work. Searching turns up one or the other but I haven't seen a combo yet. Suggestions?

zukrider

Explorer
there is no need for a combo. install a relay, that feeds the light directly from the battery. and switch it with the reverse switch wire, as well as a dash switch. or, under that pretense, since you would be powering independently, you could just put the shifter in reverse to light it up in camp. but that would require either a manual trans or a damn good ebrake.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Seconding the above info.

Just wire it hot all the time with a switched ground. You can switch the ground from an infinite number of sources in the same circuit without backfeeding it. If you switched the pos, you would run into problems if you had the light switched on and then also put the vehicle in reverse. If its the ground thats switched, you're only adding additional paths to ground in that scenario. No problemo

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Hella dual lamp worklight.

Its what I run powered by two SPST switches, one on dash, one on tailgate

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Use a Maxxima led light like AT has on thier trailers they are wired to do what you need them to do. You will have to do some wiring.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I was wanting to have a back up light for the trailer as well. I decided to place a HF light on the right side in the rear of the trailer and I am going to use a motorcycle battery for a wired power source and a switch. That way we can have an adjustable light when we need or want it. And not have to worry about cutting up any wires on my truck , avoiding messing up the truck warranty.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Box Rocket

I'm using a Hella Matador on my truck. It's nice because it can be aimed in virtually any direction. I currently only have it wired to a switch, but have considering tying it into my reverse lamps. It's just not that necessary for me, and if I need it on with the reverse lights I just hit the switch.

_MG_2138.jpg

bedrack9.jpg

Shawn686

Observer
You might also think about having it wired to your reverse lights. Especially if you use this vehicle in the city, I am sure the police and other drivers will not like it. I have mine on a separate switch and it works great.

Shawn

TWHuntFish

Check out the LED work lights at Northern Tool, very bright and the mounting brackets are stainless.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407598_200407598

I have two of those mounted on the back of my Callen Camper rack, plenty of light backing into a camp area, way more light than needed for a campsite. I would suggest wiring two of these lights with each one having a SPDT Center Off switch.
I have both controlled thru one switch, I will be changing to two switches.

A single pole, double throw switch with center off position.

The center terminal will go to the light, one of the outside terms to reverse light wire on that side, the other term will go to B+.....giving you 3 positions...light on when in reverse, center always off, light on by battery for camp/ recovery.

You can buy a round magnet and bolt it to the LED work light, and with a 12vdc power cord, it becomes a very handy vehicle light.

Eric

Doctor W

Adventurer
OK, it seems we really need two different lights. One for reversing -which is done while engine is running and thus power use/wattage is not an issue so we would choose a Quartz Halogen type spread beam, or even a fog light. For a rear light when camping, if you want it on for any lenght of time then a low power draw high output LED type lamp is the way to go. There's lots of choices for both types and lots of ways to wire them up.

You'll be best off with 2 different types of lights - sad but true!

bat

Explorer
I decided to use a remote switch for 1 sidelight and 1 back light. If need be because the backup lights are not enough I can turn 1 side or both sides with the remote. I like this idea for camping so I can control lighting away from the truck.

Attachments

• led 003.JPG
    led 003.JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 28
  • led 002.JPG
    led 002.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 20
  • led 001.JPG
    led 001.JPG
    633.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG