Securing a Propane Tank to the Outside of a Trailer

jim65wagon

something along the lines of the old style Powertank CO2 tank brackets. These are very similar to a military fire extinguisher bracket that I also have. I will be sending him pictures of these two items for his review.
Cheers,
Greg

Can you post a pic of these just so I know what I'm getting into. I want simple, lockable, sturdy and nice looking all at the same time....

my tanks are roughly 10 inches in diameter

Yes, we know that they and several other vendors carry bracketry for a 5 lb tank....doesn't really help much when we are looking for 10lb stuff or a 20 lb as the above post is asking.....thanks anyway

Oops.. Did not catch the tank size in the OP, reading posts on the iPhone has its drawbacks. No need to get snippy Jim.

I can order a set for my 20 pounder if it helps bring the cost down... PM on the way

Hafwit

Adventurer
The two locking and durable brackets I am familiar with are the military fire extinguisher bracket (the tan one) and the old style Powertank CO2 tank bracket (the black one). I am forwarding these two examples to my fabricator to see what he can come up with.

Attachments

• IMGP1277.JPG
    IMGP1277.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • IMGP1280.JPG
    IMGP1280.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 132

jim65wagon

Oops.. Did not catch the tank size in the OP, reading posts on the iPhone has its drawbacks. No need to get snippy Jim.

I can order a set for my 20 pounder if it helps bring the cost down... PM on the way

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out as snippy. I was just trying to reiterate the point that was missed by most of the respondents in the OPs question.
Hafwit: Those look like something I could put on my as yet unbuilt trailer. Keep us posted on the fabrication, please.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
The above pictured mount works for an 8 inch diameter tank such as the CO2 tank pictured. My measurements for the tanks I have are larger and therefore the above set-up wouldn't work for my purposes.

Cheers,
Greg

Whoops! The mount I have looks very similar but is for a 20lb propane tank. I tried doing a search on Amazon, where I bought it, but can't find it anymore.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I would say the 4B's brackets look like a reasonable choice. The others on the prior post are not locking brackets and therefore I would be worried about somebody running off with my expensive tanks. I still want to see what my fabricator comes up with as I think he might be able to make something better.

Cheers,
Greg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I fabbed a locking bracket for my 6lb Worthington propane tank. It was a relatively easy and affordable project. Especially considering there isn't anything out there pre-made that suited me.

Get yourself some 1.5" x 1/8" flat stock, cold work it around the tank circumference (or have a metal shop roll it to the proper diameter), grab a stainless steel locking clasp like this ("D", "E") http://www.mcmaster.com/#adjustable-draw-latches/=e361lu , fab a suitable bracket to mount to your trailer, a little TIG work and you're there :)

I have a new (to me) Aspen camper and am also looking for a method of transporting my 10 # Lite Cylinder Propane tank
The 10# Lite Cylinder is 9.6 " in Diameter
http://www.litecylinder.com/Portals/litecylinder/Products/specs/10_lb_spec_.pdf

The following holder TK-3 has a inside diameter of 9 3/4 " which sounds like a fit to me
TK-3 30-lb. Freon Tank Holder (inside dia. 9 3/4")
http://www.americanvan.com/van-organizers/holders/steel-tank-holders.html

It is meant to be floor mounted - but it is getting close
As my trailer has a tounge that splits to center, left and right sides - I should be able to (easily) mount any three legged item to the tounge

I really liked the Adventure Trailers unit - but it is only an eight inch diameter unit ( soooo close)

loren85022

Explorer
I bet it's safe where most of us live. But for traveling to remote areas, a propane tank might be quite a commodity. I'm mostly concerned with a mount that can't bounce free.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I do not have a great fear of people stealing my propane tanks; however if I am out traveling, my concern is that if somebody decided to do so, it would potentially ruin my trip. I also have Lite Cylinders that are more expensive and perhaps more desirable than the typical 20lb metal tanks.

Cheers,
Greg

gabepari

Explorer
Custom LP Brackets

We make custom brackets in-house. Any competent fabricator should be able to whip one out for you. Give us a call if you need any help.

Gabe

69_lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior