Securing a Propane Tank to the Outside of a Trailer

Hafwit

Adventurer
Gabe,
It looks like you might have some business coming your way. You didn't provide your contact information in your post, so I would start by giving that. While I like the Powertank/Military bracket design more than what you have pictured, I'll bet yours would be much cheaper. Can you make it so it will accept a lock? Are the straps stainless steel? Can you make just the straps alone without the bracket? If there is much interest, would you set up a group buy?

Thanks,
Greg

Securing a Propane Tank to the Outside of a Trailer - Solution for Lite Cylinder

I use the 10# fiberglass Lite Cylinder in my trailer
http://www.litecylinder.com/Portals/litecylinder/Products/specs/10_lb_spec_.pdf

The 10# Lite Cylinder is 9.6 " in Diameter
I found that this cylinder fits very snugly into the American Van TK-3 30-lb. Freon Tank Holder. The TK-3 holder has a inside diameter of 9 3/4 ". The frame holder has a three point mount scheme to the floor

http://www.americanvan.com/steel-tank-holders.html

It is meant to be floor mounted - and I have it mounted to a removable cooler tray that sits on the trailer tongue. I think all I need is a small bungee over the top for extreme drops. The set-up is very versatile, pull two pins and the whole tray pulls from the tongue, three wing nuts and the TK-3 holder is off of the tray - I like versatility. The tray can also be used on the bike when not towing the trailer to haul additional gear.

Remember - I am pulling behind a motorcycle so weight, and versatility, are paramont. Every pound should solve multiple issues, Every pound I use to solve this problem - is a pound I cannot use to solve that problem (or another beer I cannot haul).
Anyway - one looks good, and is a keeper for awhile - until inspiration strikes again.
Tom

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
The black "Military" bracket pictured in this thread should be available at any fire extinguisher store. I picked one up locally for my 10# tank for $45. Just call and tell them your tank diameter and height and they should be able to hook you up.

I'll snap a picture when I walk outside this afternoon.

ab1985

Explorer
2011-10-12_15-02-22_721.jpg

jim65wagon

They're not brackets, really, but we solved our problem by building these propane lockers similar to what you would find in ocean-going vessels. Fun project that turned out great!

6278143584_d95a274776.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
I thought I'd add to this that I went with the Powertank mount for an 11# tank. It's quality made, and made in the USA.

After much thought, I went ahead and mounted the tank centered on the tongue.

wxx5b.jpg

gij0c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier