Ever buy tires at Sam's Club?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
There are not many options for buying tires here. Sam's has some good prices but I have read they sell seconds and/or have name brand tires made, at a discount, for them that are different rubber compound or minus some feature to save costs. Anyone have first hand experience with them?

Errant

Explorer
I used to always purchase BFG AT/KO's from Sam's (until a few years ago when they would no longer install unless it was stock size/rating). Never had a problem with them :)

98roamer

Explorer
I used to always purchase BFG AT/KO's from Sam's (until a few years ago when they would no longer install unless it was stock size/rating). Never had a problem with them :)

I too bought my BFG AT/KO from Sam's had no issues with them at all.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
My BFG AT's purchased at Sam's have lost the Severe rating (mountain snow flake symbol) and hold gravel to the point of ridiculously unbalancing the ride. Discount says all of their BFG AT's have the rating and suggested Sam's may have had a special tooling as part of a special deal. I cannot see BFG diminishing a popular tire like that. A couple emails to BFG yielded no answers and a lot of run around.

jim65wagon

Not all the BFG ATs get the snowflake, I think it's dependent on load range and tire size. I'm not sure why, just noticed that some do some don't. The set I bought from Sams back in 03 were flaked.....(265/75/16s LR D)

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
I have always bought tires for all of the vehicles at Sam's. The tires they sell are the same as you will buy at any tire shop. No different. I have always had good luck with them. BTW. If you find the right Club, they will mount whatever size you want on your vehicle. Example. My 33x10.50 were mounted at sams on my rig. Not what vehicle calls for.

Doctor W

Adventurer
My tyres have an outline pic of mountains and it says "Premium Traction" over the drawing.........I haven't come across this before - anyone else???????

They are U.S. made - Wild Spirit TXR2 size LT 245/75x16" 120/116N Load Range E...... they are a pretty aggressive all-terrain with small "side biters", lots of sipes and take studs as well!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Sam's took good care of me today and refunded 100% of 2.5 month old purchase. The store manager looked at my 7 receipts from attempts to rebalance the tires and did not hesitate to make the refund. She told me they are seeing a lot of the AT KO's making customers unhappy. This is in a tiny town. BFG told me they do in fact manufacture 'club' tires in batches but declined to tell me which ones.

I scored a set of much narrower but slightly taller 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer AT's from a tire store for $500! They ride great and no shake at all.

If I buy the BFG AT's again (been a customer for over 15 years) I won't buy them through a 'club.'

Errant

Explorer
This is why I've always preferred to buy them there. The customer service was always great, and I've never had to pro-rate for road hazard damage. I'm still more inclined to believe the issue is with BFG, and not with where they are purchased.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I bought a set of GoodYear Wranglers about 12 years ago that were all apparently out of round. Customer service was good enough to replace all 4 tires...TWICE! after they were unable to get them balanced after about 5000 miles of travel.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have purchsed many sets of tires from sams. I have never had problem one and even if you have a problem there warrinted any where that sells the brand.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've found better price and selection at Discount Tire. However, I realize they may not be very common up there in the Last Frontier, so it may be worth paying a few more bucks to get something that can be replaced or warranteed at any Wal Mart (and I'm assuming a Sam's Club tire can be warranteed at Wal Mart since they're both part of the same company.)

Back when I had my Subaru and my Ford Ranger, I passed on Discount in favor of Wal Mart for that very reason: I lived in Wyoming at that time and Discount Tire had zero stores in the entire state. That may have changed by now (this would have been 2001-2003) but at the time it was a concern of mine.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
WOW great deal!!!

Where?

American Tire, Local Anchorage shop, had a set with about 5K miles on them. PO did not like the skinny look so he traded them in. No on ever asked for that size so they sat around and the shop (which is generally stupid over priced) was ready to make room for their winter stock and made the deal. Just bought a new one to rotate in for $240. Geez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne