post your Suburban pics

mkitchen

Explorer
Thank you.

Geez, that was fast. I was still editing my post and there it is. I have added ck5 to my favorites.
Thank you.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
So Larry, with two really nice choices of vehicles, how do you decide which one to drive. In fact which one will be at next years Expo? I am guessing the 78 since it has the camper? Love the barn door burbs though. It has to be a tough choice.
Larry can you steer me towards a good info source for older chevy trucks? I use Fordification a lot for my 71 F 250, but I am hoping to get my old 60 back and need to find some folks smarter than me to keep me going in the right direction.
Here's a shot of Buster

Mikey

Hey big Mike! Well, the Polar Bear Suburban will be more of a daily driver/day trip rig but it may follow the ’78 K10 on long runs if friends without rigs decide to tag along. You’re right, the ’78 will be the one I take back to Expo being it has a nice house on the back. :coffeedrink:

Like PMA4x4 mentioned, CK5 is the place to be for all things GM 4x4. Another great GM truck site is 67-72chevytrucks.com although the admins and mods have gotten pretty punchy lately with some rogue moderators (mainly one mod) that is doing a good job of chasing off long time paying senior members. Aside from that, the reality is that is still be the best place for ’60-’66 GM truck info as a lot of those guys with that era of info are not into 4x4’s and would not be the type to visit CK5. The 6066 GMC Guy is another good place for all things 60-66 related but it is more geared to GMC's rather than Chevy's. Back in those days there actually was pretty significant differences between GMC and Chevrolet but I bet there would still be some good info there for your Chevrolet.

I dig your old Burb. I remember you telling me about it when we chatted at the Expo. You’re old F250 is a sweet truck too!

bonedust

It's far from done...clearly, but here is the mid-stages of my lil burb build

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

It's got a divorced np273 that integrates Seemlessly into the oem controls. Still Alot to do...

Treybiz

Observer
It's far from done...clearly, but here is the mid-stages of my lil burb build

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

It's got a divorced np273 that integrates Seemlessly into the oem controls. Still Alot to do...

Uhhh.. What is going on with the 4 Links? Uppers Look Gigantic and some sort of mid-link radius arm something or other... I want details

bonedust

its really just a simple radium arm style suspension. it kept the whole belly of the truck available for giant oil pans, giant fuel tanks, giant exhausts, and whatnot. is it THE most effective link system? no. but for my purposes (mostly a hunting rig and toting machine guns around to remote shoots) it was a great solution. and yes, gigantic is an understatement. the main links are 3 1/2". its all build off of EMF's Frankenheim.

the rod end most people use inside the rod end most monster trucks use inside the rod end i used...
post-1-0-18895000-1295305473_thumb.jpg

critics along the way said it wouldnt flex...

BD3.jpg

BD2.jpg

but it seems to do fine. and yes, bigger tires are in route...

Treybiz

Observer
its really just a simple radium arm style suspension. it kept the whole belly of the truck available for giant oil pans, giant fuel tanks, giant exhausts, and whatnot. is it THE most effective link system? no. but for my purposes (mostly a hunting rig and toting machine guns around to remote shoots) it was a great solution. and yes, gigantic is an understatement. the main links are 3 1/2". its all build off of EMF's Frankenheim.

the rod end most people use inside the rod end most monster trucks use inside the rod end i used...

Awesome... I dig it. I was going to ask how you thought it would work without a front track bar and wondered why there was a rear but no front... Then I realized it was just buried behind the steering. Looks sweet.

bonedust

bonedust do you have a build thread, interested in more info on the drivers drop 273

i dont have one on this site. once i get a few more things done, ill get one started.

its a ford 273 with some massage work to get the chevy shift motor to fit on it. the real PITA was getting the computer to recognize it wasnt an autotrac case.

elee

Observer

post-1-0-18895000-1295305473_thumb.jpg

critics along the way said it wouldnt flex...

BD3.jpg

BD2.jpg

I am in AWE of those ends!:Wow1: I love NBS Burbs, well done!

kfgk14

Adventurer
Holy small tires Batman! That needs 37's and it's not even funny!

Very nice suspension build. I think you should probably carry a few spare rod ends in case, you know, you're nuked on the way home from the machine gun shoot!

BTW, pics of the machine guns? I'm fascinated by NFA stuff, just wish the wallet understood...

DMT

K7DMT
My Burban - Kid hauler and more

DSCF5732.jpgDSCF5752.jpgDSCF5711.jpg

My family was growing and my wife started talking about minivans, so I countered with the Suburban idea. I wanted to find a clean 6.5 diesel 3/4 ton, preferably with leather, and used crazedlist.com to search craigslist ads all up and down the west coast, rocky mountain states and Texas, where I was spending a lot of time on business. After a few months I found this 94 in Washington for a decent price, about a four hour drive away. I took my wife. She drove it in the pouring rain and liked it, felt that it seemed stable, safe and secure. I think the front IFS had something to do with it, maybe the grippy Toyos, and the ride height didn't hurt either. So it is now our kid hauler and vacation/camping/towing/hunting wagon. Above are pics from a recent deer hunting trip with my seven year old. All the kids love it and call it the Burban. It has become so popular with the kids, I had to add a fourth row bench so that their cousins could join them. We pile the kids in and take them to drive-ins, airshows, parades, camping etc -- far more useful than a mini-van, a point my wife now concedes.

Spargman

Adventurer
i dont have one on this site. once i get a few more things done, ill get one started.

its a ford 273 with some massage work to get the chevy shift motor to fit on it. the real PITA was getting the computer to recognize it wasnt an autotrac case.

I too am very interested to hear about this. Why did you choose the 273 over some of the older tcases?

By the way, i love the links you used on that truck...great build, can't wait to see more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier