post your Suburban pics

ABCanuck

Adventurer
That's gotta be some of the most idiotic over legislation I've heard of. It's amazing how it gets completely out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBJR

Adventurer
It is worse in some states, but smog exempt is hard here.

I had a nice 77 GMC K15. I had a dana 60 rear, dana 44 front, TPI, Art carr 700r4x2+TCI (mistake), recarro buckets, custom everything and I was the original owner. Was supposed to be smag exempt up to 77, then they changed the law in 75 making that the last year!! Now they are redoing it again making 81 back smog exempt.

Same with my 06 DMax, was smog free when I bought it. Now I have to smog that. But once done the 91 (pre 97) will be be exempt.

justcuz

Explorer
The only way you can do the Caddy swap in California is to register it with the GM diesel. Then do the swap since it will no longer need inspection.
California regulations are real screwy now. Like needing to smog a vehicle that is as old as 1976.
I liked it better when it was on a 30 year sliding scale.
The only good thing is I was able to remove the smog pump off of my 68 Chevelle.

Edit: when does the 1981 and back go into effect? Is it going to be a sliding scale or fixed a 1981. Even a 35 year sliding scale will soon get them to 1986 when most cars became fuel injected.

Last edited:

FBJR

Adventurer
You have to watch putting other motors in diesels. DOT rides around with CHP now and look for things. In my county I have seen road side smog checks, yup random checks of any vehicle on the road. If you remove it, it is $5000 per item, the vehicle is towed and you can't get it back until it is legal.

Crazy, just do the pipe, if it passes, who cares??==$$$$$$$$

justcuz

Explorer
Yea I saw a couple roadside deals, but not many here in San Bernardino Co. which has some smog exempt areas.
Maybe register everything out of a P.O. Box in Goffs.

The 1981 smog law failed, but they have a new one now AB550, for 1976 and newer.
Get this, you fail twice, pay $200.00 and your on your way! Tell me that's not a blatant money grab!
The $200.00 goes to the State Abatement fund. What a rip off.

It is so easy to make an older engine run cleaner than original. Who cares what it looks like? If it passes the sniff test with original or less emissions, you get to drive it. If California Smog Regulations were really about clean air, the sniff test would be all they do.

I recently smogged an OBD2 2004 Chevy Tahoe my Daughter sold. They never even opened the hood! He just plugged the OBD2 port into a computer for several minutes and it was done.

FBJR

Adventurer
Yup, 2002 and newer simply relies on the ECM for everything now, no dyno. I have to look that up as I have a 86 elky and sami. Elky is getting a 5.3 and sami gets a 1.6 but I may sell it.

I am retired LEO, got out 2 years ago (now I chauffeur kids and play) I was raised in SOCal.

lt1fire

Adventurer
I have never seen a GMT400 (92-99) 1/2 ton diesel Suburban.

The 95 in my sig was one

The only difference with the GMT400 suburbans 1/2 ton and 3/4 was the rear axle was a semi float 14bolt, could get 3.42 gears and the leaf springs in the rear didn't have as many leafs.

Other than that it was same frame, same large front diff, same engine, same trans, etc.....

justcuz

Explorer
Does yours have 8 lug wheels?

I've seen the diesel full size Blazers, which surprisingly a 700 and a 6 lug, 10 bolt rear axle.

justcuz

Explorer
Yup, 2002 and newer simply relies on the ECM for everything now, no dyno. I have to look that up as I have a 86 elky and sami. Elky is getting a 5.3 and sami gets a 1.6 but I may sell it.

My smog guy told me that anything with OBD2 will just get the computer test.

I am retired LEO, got out 2 years ago (now I chauffeur kids and play) I was raised in SOCal.

I've been retired from the FD for 4 years. Came here in 1964 when I was 12.

justcuz

Explorer
If your vin is 1GNFK2 then it is a 3/4 ton. GM did not make a GMT400 1/2 ton (1500) with 8 lug wheels.
They did however build a light duty 3/4 ton with 6 lug wheels in pickups.
Even the GMT800 1500HD trucks had 8 lug wheels.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
If your vin is 1GNFK2 then it is a 3/4 ton. GM did not make a GMT400 1/2 ton (1500) with 8 lug wheels.
They did however build a light duty 3/4 ton with 6 lug wheels in pickups.
Even the GMT800 1500HD trucks had 8 lug wheels.

Actually, they did. Early 400 Suburban’s with 6.5L diesels were marketed as 1500’s with 1500 door labels but were really ¾ tons with 8 lug wheels. If I recall it was in 94/95 when they did that. Never got the real story as to why

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94