Thread: post your Suburban pics

Quote Originally Posted by bknudtsen View Post
    That thing is so sweet! Was going to SAS my newly acquired 2wd Avalanche, but I am pretty sure that I will now be doing coilovers instead. Wish it was a 2500, but it’ll be cool none-the-less. Thanks for posting in such detail.

Brad
    Thanks. I mulled over doing a SAS but decided to stick with IFS as most of the driving I do is highway and washboard gravel roads / forestry tracks with a few moderate wheeling trails thrown in. I am glad I stuck with it, it rides awesome over rough roads and is suprisingly stable and planted even with no front swaybar. On the highway this thing cruises great and eats up huge chunks of road, driving home from Nevada a few weeks ago I drove over 880 miles in one day single handedly, definitely would not want to do that in my ZJ.

Quote Originally Posted by PGW View Post
    My truck (and 99% of Suburbans it seems) has the center console so I trimmed it to fit the shifter. I did have to cut, bend, weld a Z-shape into the shift lever to move the knob over otherwise it would rub on the center console. Didn't have any issues with the electrics, once you unplug the transfer case module under the dash it doesn't throw any lights. Then you just have to splice the speedo sensor from the new transfer case into the factory wiring (purple/green wires). I also had to ground out a pin on the transfer case module connector in 4-low (I welded a momentary switch to the shift mechanism itself) otherwise it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear in 4-low. Everything works great, with no front axle disconnect as soon as I pull back the shifter, I know 100% it is in 4 wheel drive. Some electronics I trust, but not these transfer case motors. Maybe newer models are better. Before I did the swap I would have intermittent problems where it would throw the Service 4WD message and wouldn't shift out of 2WD. Maybe it was just a switch or something simple but I wanted it all gone anyways for the peace of mind.
    Looks great! I've been getting the "service 4wd" message intermittently, usually the first time I use 4wd after going a long time without using it. I have also had issues with it either not shifting INTO 4wd or not shifting OUT. In every case, though, turning the vehicle off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on fixes the issue.
    Martin
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT in "Expedition White"

Having a Suburban means never being able to say "We don't have room for that."

Quote Originally Posted by PGW View Post
    My truck (and 99% of Suburbans it seems) has the center console so I trimmed it to fit the shifter. I did have to cut, bend, weld a Z-shape into the shift lever to move the knob over otherwise it would rub on the center console. Didn't have any issues with the electrics, once you unplug the transfer case module under the dash it doesn't throw any lights. Then you just have to splice the speedo sensor from the new transfer case into the factory wiring (purple/green wires). I also had to ground out a pin on the transfer case module connector in 4-low (I welded a momentary switch to the shift mechanism itself) otherwise it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear in 4-low. Everything works great, with no front axle disconnect as soon as I pull back the shifter, I know 100% it is in 4 wheel drive. Some electronics I trust, but not these transfer case motors. Maybe newer models are better. Before I did the swap I would have intermittent problems where it would throw the Service 4WD message and wouldn't shift out of 2WD. Maybe it was just a switch or something simple but I wanted it all gone anyways for the peace of mind.

Attachment 426121
    Your Yukon is exactly what I want to build next! If you ever decide to sell let me know!

Got any more details on the electric switch for your 4lo actuator? Myself and a few friends with solid axle swapped GMT 400s have been trying to figure out how to do just that, we've all grounded the pin to a toggle switch but I would love having one less step to do.
    03 Silverado Z71 - D60/Sterling/5.3/241C/40s/Shortened frame/tube bed http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...lid-axle-build
    Instagram @damnbluechevy @mccustomize

Quote Originally Posted by mccustomize View Post
    Your Yukon is exactly what I want to build next! If you ever decide to sell let me know!

Got any more details on the electric switch for your 4lo actuator? Myself and a few friends with solid axle swapped GMT 400s have been trying to figure out how to do just that, we've all grounded the pin to a toggle switch but I would love having one less step to do.
    My original plan was to find a NP241 with a 3 wire signal switch as supposedly those have a 4-Low signal that I could use to ground the pin. The NP241 I found was a 2 wire case, so I bought a 3 wire switch hoping it would work in my case. Turns out the depth is all wrong on it and it wouldn't fit. So I ended up welding a nut to the shift bracket (5/8-11 maybe?) so I could thread in the 3 wire switch. I couldn't tighten it all the way as the switch body was hitting the bracket so I RTV'd and zip tied it into place so it wouldn't turn (pretty crude but its worked so far). Then I welded a tab to the shift mechanism itself and then welded an un-riveted nutsert that I had on hand to that tab so I could thread in a button head screw. On the 3 wire switch I used a multimeter to test the connections to find out which wires connect while the switch is depressed (I think it was the two outside wires), then you just connect one wire to a chassis ground and the other wire to the 4-Low signal pin. When you shift to 4-Low the button head screw (which is adjustable in the nutsert) depresses the ball in the switch which connects the 4-Low signal to the chassis ground. I don't have the part numbers on hand but I got the 3-wire switch and wiring connector from Rockauto I think. Everything else I just had on hand.

I took a crappy picture a while back that hopefully should give you an idea.

P1220074.jpg

I gotcha, seems simple enough. Thanks! I see you are in south texas????
    03 Silverado Z71 - D60/Sterling/5.3/241C/40s/Shortened frame/tube bed http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...lid-axle-build
    Instagram @damnbluechevy @mccustomize

I do like square body's!!!
    2006 Duramax CCSB

1991 V2500 Suburban Cummins Swap (in process)

1987 Elky (LS1 swap-waiting its turn)

1991 V1500 Suburban (for sale just 85K miles, cali truck, no rust)

Ohhh that ladder! 👏👏👏

Ď91 V1500. It needs a lot but the build has finally gotten jump started. Itís got a 14 bolt rear and 10 bolt front out of a 3/4 ton pickup. 6.2 diesel with a Banks turbo kit just waiting to go on. Interior needs help but itís a nearly cancer free survivor. Will ride on a 6Ē lift and 37s soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by trbon8r View Post
    ‘91 V1500. It needs a lot but the build has finally gotten jump started. It’s got a 14 bolt rear and 10 bolt front out of a 3/4 ton pickup. 6.2 diesel with a Banks turbo kit just waiting to go on. Interior needs help but it’s a nearly cancer free survivor. Will ride on a 6” lift and 37s soon.
    Thats one nice looking old `Burbī I like the clasic turbine mag wheels. Make sure you do a build thread with lots of pics so we can follow your progress. Cheers, Chilli..

Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast