My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, not to say anything bad about the Nissan, because it is a great truck!, but why did you coose the Nissan over the Taco? Just curious.

Scott Brady

Founder
I always recommend using as much mechanical advantage as the trail requires. Which is to say:

1. Leave pavement onto improved dirt road: Shift into 4WD high. It is easier on the truck when traversing soft sections, and you have the available traction is a loose section is encountered, or you come upon a section of mud.
2. Leave improved surface for two track: Shift into 4WD Lo. The gearing makes life easier on the clutch or transmission (temp) and allows fine control. Even with IFS, you want all of the available traction at your disposal. It is better for the trail (less spinning and damage) and much easier on the truck. 4WD helps to keep the vehicle climbing straight and prevents over-steer. The majority of the weight in a near stock truck is over the front tires, so make sure the front is driving.
3. Challenging two track: Engage the rear locker and leave it on. This helps uphill and down, and allows the truck to maintain forward progress without spinning and driveline wind/release. The locker is just as important while traveling downhill, as the vehicle will freewheel when under compression braking is tires leave the ground.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Scott, good philosphy on the use of 4wd.

I've never understood why people don't just put the vehicle in 4wd when they are on the trail - I've seen too many get stuck, then try to engage it into 4wd - they wouldn't have gotten stuck in the first place.

If you have it, use it.Plus, it is good for the vehicle to get it into 4wd - especially with most vehicles these days having shift-on-the-fly, there is no reason not to.

My 1/3 of 1/2 of two cents,

Jeff

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I pretty much follow Scott's philosophy. As soon as I am off the pavement I go into 4WD. Primarily because the truck tracks better ( it does not get squirelly) on corrugated surfaces, and also it is already on incase I need it. Better to have it ready when needed than have it after it is too late IMO.

asteffes

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I always recommend using as much mechanical advantage as the trail requires. Which is to say:

3. Challenging two track: Engage the rear locker and leave it on. This helps uphill and down, and allows the truck to maintain forward progress without spinning and driveline wind/release. The locker is just as important while traveling downhill, as the vehicle will freewheel when under compression braking is tires leave the ground.

This is a great bit of wisdom. Thank you, Scott!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Holy crap...I turn away for a few days and look all of this.

Here goes:
The BN Guy said:
Oooh, late to chime in but...

Welcome to the Nissan fAmily and congrats on the new truck!
Evidently, it's never too late. Cheers!

datrupr said:
Mark, not to say anything bad about the Nissan, because it is a great truck!, but why did you coose the Nissan over the Taco? Just curious.
Well, seriously, the wife loved this thing - of all factors (like cost, reputation, percentage of chrome ;) , etc.) spousal approval tends to be the most important...so long as she's trained properly[I reserve the right to delete that...]. And beyond driving Scott's truck, we never looked at any Toyotas; And Scotty's is pretty DANG cool. I saw an opportunity to be mildly unique since there are few of these late model Frontiers out there. Being a new model, things like durability and reliability are going to be hard to assess for a while. I feel like the odds are good, though. This truck fit the budget, Brooke loves it, drivetrain seems stout, enough payload for me...badabing.

exped'west said:
I always recommend using as much mechanical advantage as the trail requires
That's hard to argue with, eh? So long as we've a sensible monkey at the controls :p

Carry on, carry on....

Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I use 2wd on dirt roads quite often. As long as there is good traction and higher speeds, I enjoy it. It can make steering easier in some places too, where traction is very high, or multi-point turns are required. Fuel economy can be improved as well, though that depends on variables.

Example: The route between Puertecitos and Laguna Chapala in Baja. I would drive most of that in 2wd, but use 4wd for the mountain grades and hills.

Scott Brady

Founder
Chris,

Excellent point regarding fuel economy. On our last Baja trip, we traveled over 200 miles between fuel stops, and 160 miles of it was off-road. Several vehicles rolled into the PEMEX north of La Paz with the gas light on.

We did drive long stretches of improved dirt roads in 2wd to conserve fuel on that trip...

Justin

Observer
A bit late on the post but congratulations on the new Truck. I am trying to sell my wife on getting a 4door truck and so far it's been tough. Also nice choice on the Nissan. In San Diego, I usually see more Tacomas than I do Nissans so I tend to gawk more at them. They seem like a solid truck.

Off the subject of the new truck, I couldn't agree with Scott more on the uses of 4wd. I take the same approach when I leave the pavement.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Update

News on the Frontier "front":
The rock sliders are in que to be built and shipped by ol' Shrockworks within 3 weeks. I'll be getting them powdercoated when they arrive as well. Based on that timeline, there won't be enough time to get them installed by El Camino Del Diablo. That's life. Here's a picture, but obviously not my truck:
sliders.jpg

I got my GPS mount the other day, too, but I don't think that warrants a photograph. :ylsmoke:

For the zinger...at least I think so...:
brooke_2.jpg

I taught this cute blonde how to use a torque wrench. While we were at it, we decided to take apart the front suspension. You know, see what all the fuss is about with these IFS dealy-bobs. And sheesh, since it was all apart may as well make a little improvement...

See, while some women like jewelry for Christmas, I got this one a handy little spacer lift for the front end. She woke me up a couple of Saturdays ago by jumping on the bed. "Can we install the lift now? Can we install the lift now?"
I told her to wait. I needed a minute to thank the Good Lord for such a kick ass wife. :jumping: After all, I'd given it to her as a joke...sort of. It backfired, and she thought it was the coolest thing ever.

That's the news. Roll on, baby. Roll on!
Mark

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Excellent modifications Mark. Very wise.

Any plans for a change in tire size? How will the rear be lifted? AAL might be the best route considering the trucks intended use.

Fridge?
Sleeping configuration?

articulate

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Excellent modifications Mark. Very wise.

Any plans for a change in tire size? How will the rear be lifted? AAL might be the best route considering the trucks intended use.

Fridge?
Sleeping configuration?
Yes, in the future I will be simply replacing the tires with 265/75 R16 BFG AT -- unless I can be persuaded otherwise. Every once in a while I consider the uber-expedition size 235/85 R16. I don't know of any downside to either size, except perhaps availability.

Before the tires, though, we will get the Eezi-Awn; my goal is to get one by May. I'm slightly puzzled about mounting it, though. Do they require a platform, or a few cross bars maybe? It only makes sense to put it over the bed like you have; most pictures I see have the tent mounted onto a roof rack. That's why I ask.

For the rear suspension, I was originally putting my nose in the air thinking that "only a custom rear leaf pack will do for me, thank you." But I've come to the same conclusion that an AAL might make more sense. That will require some extensive research, I think, because there are not any direct-for-D40-Frontiers AALs available yet. I saw somewhere that some dude used a leaf from an XJ pack and employed a grinder to trim them down to size. That's one way to do it.

A fridge, unless some unnatural act of miraculous proportion happens, will be gravy. Once the tent, tires, CB, and under-protection happen I'll consider the truck done - which we all know is a farce, but you have to have a mental finish line. I'm expecting any organizational improvements to evolve as I take trips and add the tent to the bed.

That's what I think today. Tomorrow - and most will agree that they do this too - I'll have different ideas. :)

Thanks for any input, all.

Mark :victory:

CLynn85

Explorer
Nice, good way to welcome a new vehicle into the family, let the modding begin!

How much lift did you get out of the front spacers?

Sounds like you got a real winner there with the misses as well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior