ExPo Build Project: Salsa Fargo

keezer37

Explorer
:clapsmile

In my second year of riding now, fenders are on my list. I don't mind the stuff falling from the sky, but the stuff coming up from the ground is another matter. I plan on keeping it cheap with some SKS's, figuring they are a likely candidate for damage.

And I wanted to thank you for all the product knowledge I've gained from reading your posts in this and other threads.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Racks are for those smart enough to put the load on the bike and not on their back! Wearing a pack on a bike is just plain dumb IMO!
With the exception of ultra-light bikepacking, I agree. However, for bikepacking with light, sub 20 pound loads (total), I do like to distribute a tiny bit of it onto my back. It makes pushing, lifting and maneuvering the bike a bit easier.

This is a photo of me on day three of a trip in Colorado. My pack is there to hold three liters of water in my hydration system and really just all the fluffy stuff. I think it was only about 6 pounds. Not really noticeable.
CoT8.jpg

I'm having a Revelate frame bag made for bikepacking romps. For more extended touring I might dig my Old Man Mountain racks out unless the you ExPo riders can recommend something more fun. I will admit, I have a severe allergy to panniers. Blah.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I agree with you 100% about the OMM racks. They are bomber.

This bike will have three distinct build-outs with regard to the luggage.

1) Commuter duty. That will probably be a rack with single basket style pannier.

2) Bikepack duty. This will be uber light, with no racks or panniers. Just a frame and seat bag most likely. I'll also put some Salsa Anything cages on the fork.

Anything.jpg

3) Extended touring. For this, I'll throw on a different White Industries/DT wheel so I can run a 9 speed in the rear. Then I'll add the racks and panniers.

But...I'm always open to new ideas!!

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
How much tweaking of the disc caliper position(if any) when swapping gearing?

I like more gears, and not having to swap out wheel/derailleurs/shifters/chain/run cables/etc, for any of my bikes that will see a load/distance frequently, but I can understand what your going for and I appreciate that.

I was surprised by the toeclips, I like them(for a short-commuter)!

I look forward to hearing your opinion on the handlebars, they seem to fall into two very distant camps. Either love or hate, not much in the middle(from the folks I know(in person not online)).

Looks good.

-Chris

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
How much tweaking of the disc caliper position(if any) when swapping gearing?

I like more gears, and not having to swap out wheel/derailleurs/shifters/chain/run cables/etc, for any of my bikes that will see a load/distance frequently, but I can understand what your going for and I appreciate that.
-Chris
The amazing thing is - there's zero tweaking of the disc caliper when swapping gears. None. It's pretty amazing how well thought out this Double/Double system is. As long as I stay away from largely flat areas, the limited gearing will be fine. It might not be low enough for stout bikepacking, but I'm digging the simplicity of it. I've logged 5-8 day bikepack trips with 30-40,000 feet of climbing on my singlespeed, so I'm not spooked by it on this bike. I really love the simplicity of this bike as it is now. No hydraulics, two cables, and super beefy components.

I will also build up geared options for this bike eventually.

The toeclips will only ever see commuter duty. They're really beautiful pedals.

3konas

Observer
Good looking ride!

Give us a update after you get some trail miles on her. I'm curious how the Eno hub will work out for you. I have one on my 1990 Kona Hei Hei. Although my chain alignment is spot on, I don't trust it during high torque situations. My issues could very well be my flexy titanium frame though.

Cheers
Brent

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Good looking ride!

Give us a update after you get some trail miles on her. I'm curious how the Eno hub will work out for you. I have one on my 1990 Kona Hei Hei. Although my chain alignment is spot on, I don't trust it during high torque situations. My issues could very well be my flexy titanium frame though.

Cheers
Brent

Well Brent, I've only got about 50 singletrack miles on this bike since those photos, and The drivetrain is flawless. Since you've ridden our trails (396), you're aware of how our terrain rolls. That 31/19 combo is more than low enough for steep technical climbs. Even really cranking on it, I've not noticed the eccentric hub failing to maintain proper chain tension. It's taken a couple rides to get the bars adjusted just right, but all in all, it's a fantastic bike to ride. It seriously makes me giggle when I take it on the rougher singletrack. This bike has a major identity crisis. It doesn't know what it is, but it works well nearly everywhere I take it.

Stay tuned for the bikepack additions!

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I ran one on a Ti Litespeed for a number of years, and never had any issues with chain tension.

Maybe you drop the hammer too hard??

-Chris

Good looking ride!

Cheers
Brent

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
A couple people have asked me more about the Double Double two-ratio system and how easy it is to swap from gear to gear.

With a little tweaking, you can position the eccentric axle such that the weight of the bike tensions the chain. So, to switch from one ratio to the other:

1) I loosen the 6mm axle nuts and lifting the rear wheel just a tad allows the chain to relax.
2) I back pedal and using my finger, just nudge the chain onto the other ring or cog I want to use.
3) I let the weight of the bike tension the chain and tighten the axle nuts.

I estimate it takes about 20-30 seconds at most, and it's brainless. There's no need to fiddle with the brake as the chain length is unchanged.

Regarding the two ratios, the 31x19 is low enough I can tackle the steep singletrack just fine. The 34x16 is actually pretty darn tall. On the pavement that gear gets me down the road at a good clip, but doesn't make moderate hills too challenging. Fully loaded steep hills get a bit tricky, but not terrible.

I really love this system. I just finished building up the geared wheel this week, but I'm in no hurry to kit this bike with a 1x9 drive as this Double Double system is nearly perfect. Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Sweet! Nice job Christophe

fargorocks.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz