Exploring part of Anza's Expedition Route in Anza-Borrego

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
These trails cover part of the Juan Bautista de Anza expedition routes of 1774 and 1775. Juan Bautista de Anza was the first European to establish an overland route from Mexico, through the Sonoran Desert, to the Pacific coast of California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Bautista_de_Anza

anzaroute.jpg

Ollie and I met up early Saturday morning to check trail conditions on my Anza Expedition Route as well as a few areas along Fish Creek that we have not been to.

Starting out at Old Borrego Valley Road. An electrical substation on the south side of Hwy 78 marks this turnoff into San Felipe Wash and up into Cactus Valley. This route, which used to be the only access into Borrego Valley, now passes through a quite, serene and little visited portion of the desert.
IMG_1760.jpg

Airing down at the trail head and I'm looking forward to my new Jeep's first off-highway outing.
IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Before County Road S-22 was built, this was the road taken to Borrego Springs after coming from Warner Springs down Grapevine Canyon.
IMG_1768.jpg

View of Borrego Badlands in the distance.
IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Ollie, bringing up the rear of our small convoy.
IMG_1773.jpg

Passing through Borrego Sink.
IMG_1775.jpg

The Anza expedition arrived at the original Borrego Spring, near this location, 5 miles southeast of the present-day town of Borrego Springs, on March 12th 1774, where he encountering 60 Kumeyaay Indians. A historic marker near here indicates that Anza named the spring San Gregorio.
IMG_1780.jpg

Passing the Borrego Badlands and Fonts Point on our right. There are two trails that penetrate the heart of the Badlands- Rainbow Wash and Hills of the Moon Wash.
IMG_1783.jpg

We now enter the wide, sandy course of San Felipe Wash.
IMG_1784.jpg

Our route takes us through a section of Ocotillo Wells OHV Area.
IMG_1788.jpg

We have the whole desert to ourselves.
IMG_1789.jpg

Markers note the historic route of Juan Bautista de Anza.
IMG_1792.jpg

Highway 78 bridge offers some welcome shade.
IMG_1802.jpg

The route along San Felipe Wash starts to narrow.
IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

We find ourselves in a deeply cut maze of washes.
IMG_1821.jpg

From San Felipe Wash, we make our way to Pole Line and Old Kane Springs Road to Carrizo Wash.
IMG_1815.jpg

San Sebastian Marsh boundary at Carrizo Wash.
IMG_1823.jpg

The unique, water-based habitat along San Sebastian Marsh has supplied a permanent, dependable source of water for people and wildlife since ancient times. The marsh was a stopping place for the Spanish explorer de Anza, who named it after his Indian guide Sebastian Tarabel and after trading with some 400 Kumeyaay assembled there, continued northwest up San Felipe Wash into the Borrego Valley. The marsh is the only designated critical habitat in California for the desert pupfish, an endangered species. Because of its importance in sustaining this unique marshland environment, San Felipe Creek and San Sebastian Marsh is a registered National Natural Landmark. It has also been designated an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC). The area around the creek and marsh are easily damaged and very sensitive. The marsh is closed to vehicle use, with closure of boundaries clearly posted.

Dodging one of the many muddy holes along the way.
IMG_1827.jpg

Carrizo Wash.
IMG_1829.jpg

Nearing the end of my route.
IMG_1834.jpg

From here we follow the trail along the Gypsum Mine railroad track to Split Mountain Road, which marks the end of my Anza Expedition Route. So far we covered 54 miles in about 3 1/2 hours.
IMG_1839.jpg

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
From here we decide to check out North Fork Fish Creek.
IMG_1845.jpg

Ollie had some problems keeping his fuel tanks secured to his roof rack.
IMG_1846.jpg

So far, I'm loving how my TJ is preforming.
IMG_1847.jpg

Oyster Shell Wash.
IMG_1855.jpg

Lots of fossilized oysters in the ancient reef.
IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

A few sandstone steps to negotiate.
IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

After making our way a bit further we decide to head back into the main wash.
IMG_1877.jpg

A short detour into Hawk Canyon.
IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

Airing up at Butte's Pass Road along Hwy 78.
IMG_1897.jpg

Except for Ollie's gas cans falling off, we had no difficulties along the way. Temperatures averaged in the high 90's. I was great actually having AC in my vehicle! Looking forward to getting out there again... and cooler weather.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
very nice bit of history there and thanks for the critical habitat info, didn't know that
looks like a great time...my only Anza times have been super windy so looking forward to getting back there again sometime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior