Earthroamer review by experienced travelers

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
My LandCruiser is a mechanical diesel, one wire to make it run. These electronic diesels are way too complicated for international use.

I think the U500 is the way to go.

Doug

Ironically I am considering swapping a 7.3 power stroke into my land cruiser 6 wheeler. My experience is that with the right analysis gear for the power stroke I can have an engine that is easy to diagnose which is much more efficient (fuel and power wise) than the Toyota. The Toyota 2H diesel is dangerously slow when carrying a couple of tons.

But I do agree that heading for Asia, Africa or Europe the Unimog will be a more practical vehicle for any repairs/parts.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Ironically I am considering swapping a 7.3 power stroke into my land cruiser 6 wheeler. My experience is that with the right analysis gear for the power stroke I can have an engine that is easy to diagnose which is much more efficient (fuel and power wise) than the Toyota. The Toyota 2H diesel is dangerously slow when carrying a couple of tons.

What LandCruiser are you using for a 6 wheeler? Sounds interesting. I have two 7.3 Power Strokes now and they are good engines. I swapped a diesel into my 60 and its a tight fit, a 7.3 is huge in every way and incredibly heavy. Was this considered?

Doug

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
HJ75 with 60/40 tag axle and 2.5 ton payload 13' x 7' tray. The weight does concern me but I heed the grunt so it is either the 7.3 or the GM 6.5 turbo. Either way it will probably have a Dana 60 front axle eventually. I wish I had a photo with me but they are all on my laptop at home.

Sorry for the hijack. Probably you should PM me with any more questions so we don't clutter up this thread. :)

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
ROB

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on the ER. Very good info for those interested in the product.

I personally think that the VarioPilot is a fantastic bit of engineering, and I am glad that they do it. I agree that it makes it a lot easier to be able to move a vehicle into different countries.

I would like to ask, why do you wish to stay to a fairly small vehicle like a pickup? Obviously the U500 is not that small, but what are your thoughts on the Freightliner or International chassis? Do you think that ER would be wise to consider one of these vehicles for their base trucks?

Now that you are going with a U500 did you ever consider either of those other trucks for a platform? Obviously there would not be that RHD aspect, but otherwise...?

Thanks a lot! Again GREAT write up! (And best of luck selling the ER when the time comes to move into the U500)

Regards,
Brian

rblackwell

Adventurer
Brian, Thanks - hope these comments answer your questions

Vehicle size is an issue I still struggle with. Our Tiger was a great vehicle from many perspectives but particularly regarding fuel consumption and maneuverability. The smaller size was very helpful in a lot of South American towns.

Both the ER and the U500 are/will be much bigger vehicles. I am not sure how much of a problem that is going to be. Hope I don't live to regret it.

I did not seriously consider Freightliner and International - for us the VarioPilot was a clincher. Also they are bigger vehicles and the U500 already felt Over-The-Top, and still does.

Should ER consider other base vehicles? At the end of the day ER is a business and should only consider building things they see a demand for.

Bill at ER was prepared to build a custom camper for me to complement the U500. Based on my experience with the ER this was an option I would have been entirely comfortable with. However GXV sourced the U500 for me with the (not unreasonable) expectation I would contract them for the build. That is what is happening.

Regards Rob

ROB

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on the ER. Very good info for those interested in the product.

I personally think that the VarioPilot is a fantastic bit of engineering, and I am glad that they do it. I agree that it makes it a lot easier to be able to move a vehicle into different countries.

I would like to ask, why do you wish to stay to a fairly small vehicle like a pickup? Obviously the U500 is not that small, but what are your thoughts on the Freightliner or International chassis? Do you think that ER would be wise to consider one of these vehicles for their base trucks?

Now that you are going with a U500 did you ever consider either of those other trucks for a platform? Obviously there would not be that RHD aspect, but otherwise...?

Thanks a lot! Again GREAT write up! (And best of luck selling the ER when the time comes to move into the U500)

Regards,
Brian

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thank you,

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Bill, but I have met many of the folks at GXV during the last Overland Expo, and they certainly seem to build a nice vehicle as well as being very kind and interested though the knew I would be in no position to buy for several years.

I can understand the concern about the size of the vehicle. One nice thing about the cab over style trucks like the U500 is that they turn very nice tight corners, so they are fairly maneuverable by comparison to the International etc.

Have you considered putting a small motorcycle on the back of the truck for being able to go into the smaller towns? I think a nice little 225cc bike would be very light (around 100lbs) and make for a nice run about when you needed it.

Well thank you again, I do enjoy what you have said, and best of travels to you!

Regards,
Brian

dzzz

Vehicle size is an issue I still struggle with. Our Tiger was a great vehicle from many perspectives but particularly regarding fuel consumption and maneuverability. The smaller size was very helpful in a lot of South American towns.

Both the ER and the U500 are/will be much bigger vehicles. I am not sure how much of a problem that is going to be. Hope I don't live to regret it.

I don't think you'll regret it. I think you will automatically make different choices in potentially tight situations. Personally I don't find some extra thinking and planning while driving the U500 troublesome. Or at least it became easy after some initial tension driving the bigger vehicle.

There's some skill to driving the gears well in urban situations. But that's true of any medium duty diesel. You will also find that tire pressure influences ride a lot more than on lighter vehicles.

Both the ER and GXV are more comfortable than the tiger. That's a reasonable tradeoff IMO. The U500 certainly is a better choice for taking outside the U.S. It becomes easy and fun to drive after a little experience. Even at highway speeds it's a very predictable and precise vehicle. That can't be said about similar weight conventional RVs.

This summer I drove my U500 through local San Fransisco streets without hesitation or concern. When I first had the truck and was building the camper I would have said I would never do that. Thses vehicles are no bigger than the delivery and service trucks that are everywhere in the world.

TomH

Adventurer
ER and Provan are both days to weeks away from introducing vehicles in this class. ER will have a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton vehicle. Provan's Siberian Tiger will be built on a diesel F-450 (perhaps also on a gas F-350), will be the same height as but 2' longer than their Bengal Tiger. Unicat has also announced a dozen different models built on pickups.

Thanks for posting the link.

Interesting read, especially this part.

"The ideal expedition vehicle...From the above discussion you would not be surprised to know that I think a strong camper shell (almost certainly composite construction), mounted using a 3 point mounting system, onto a 1-ton pickup, with an all up weight of 11,000-12,000 lbs would be a nearly ideal expedition vehicle. Unfortunately no body (including Provan, ER or GXV) is making one. Business opportunity anyone?"

ER is coming out with some new models, I wonder if one will fill this market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles