Broncosaurus Camper

a1fa

I really wanted a van, but I ended up with a Bronco. :Wow1: Now, I have to overcome some challenges in order to make it a camper truck. It will do..
The reason why I am posting here is to get some ideas from you guys. This is rig is going to be used for my dual-sport motorcycle adventures. Work keeps me very busy, so I will use this project more as an escape from day-to-day..

Build Requirements; subject to change:
  • Sleep two above ground.
  • Not get vet, cold or hot when camping.
  • Carry two motorcycles; one on the front hitch, and other on the back.
  • Have enough space available for all camping equipment
  • 4X4
  • Roof-Top Tent (eventually)
  • 120v ac/12dc access to charge gizmos.
  • Provide enough headroom to transport two 100lb dogs that shed like crazy.

Current Todo, subject to change as project goes on:

• ***COMPLETED*** Take out remaining carpet.
  • ***COMPLETED*** Take out seats.
  • ***IN PROGRESS*** Fix several rust spots on the inside.
  • Fix Dome Light/Replace with LED.
  • Replace Dashboard with LED lighting.
  • Replace Brake Rotors and Pads.
  • New Spark Plugs/Distributor, and Wires.
  • Acquire new seats.
  • Acquire new tailgate.
  • Convert interior to black trim.
  • Monstaliner Interior.
  • Insulate Interior.
  • Build Platform.
  • Dual-Tone Exterior white/black.
Start of the Build Image:

img1601n.jpg

Current Images:

img1601n.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I like your interior plan, but I would go with a RTT of some sort. Your camper "2" plans will not only murder your already crappy gas mileage, but if you could build it with out drastically altering the truck from its original form it woudl be hella cool. I only bring that point up with respect to resale value..

a1fa

I've been eyeballing RTTs. That's always an option. I am going with stage 1 first. This is going to be plan for this year.

sketch4.jpg

I would be able to fit a twin air mattress if the passenger seat is out... however, the plan is to fit a queen somehow. Queen measures 77 inches. The Bronco bed is only 71 inch at its longest ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, for me stage 1 looks very useful, affordable, and practical.... and I am a fan of all three...lol.

kjp1969

Explorer
It would be pretty easy to go full-frankenstein on this, but what about a pop top that is only attached to the fiberglass rear roof section? If you goof, it's easily fixable or replaceable. Its easily removeable. Make it with wood and fiberglass over it, paint it to match the rest of the truck.

Pop Top Cruiser.jpgLC70camper.jpg

a1fa

sorry, been busy, not much update on the broncosaurus? but look at this.. interior is close to immaculate.. exterior very good... fully loaded and ready for camping. no rust what so ever... Meet Westy : 1981 VW Vanagon Westfalia Weekender.

img1667sr.jpg

img1668k.jpg

img1669ee.jpg

img1670ra.jpg

img1671uv.jpg

img1674lf.jpg

img1675e.jpg

img1676wp.jpg

img1677g.jpg

Needs some engine work, of course. I am eyeballing full replacement for the engine and transmission from GEX. Bronco may or may not go.

kjp1969

Explorer
Needs some engine work, of course. I am eyeballing full replacement for the engine and transmission from GEX. Bronco may or may not go.

Well of course it does! Just kidding, I grew up camping in an '81, and it had many, many engine issues. When it didn't self destruct, it was fantastic. I would suggest going to a water cooled setup (perhaps subaru?) if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles