Freightliner M2 106

camperman

Observer
Someone knows anything about the possibility of chassis freytlayner m2 106 such as frame flexibility, reliability and generally as a chassis suitable for expedition vehicle. I will be glad to hear your answers

camperman

Observer
Thanks for quick response. Now I'm interested in what truck is better: International or Freightliner. New campers, such as Safari extreme or Pangea based on International truck chassis. This somehow connected with reliability or technical parameters?

Byrdseye

Observer
I just recently sold my M2 106 4x4 after deciding not to build on that chassis. Of the two, I would give the nod to International for overall quality but I like the engine choices the Freightliner offers.

dzzz

I know one guy who works for Freightliner who is not impressed with the M2 as a 4x4 vehicle. I have no experience myself. Staying lightweight on a Fuso FG would be my choice before an M2. Or if staying with North America the F550.

Byrdseye

Observer
I had a few issues with my M2, which was a 2007 factory build. I was not at all impressed with the build quality. As an example, during routine maintenance and inspection (20k) I noticed that one of the tranny oil cooler lines was rubbed nearly all of the way thru by the transmission mount. In fact, all of the wiring and air line routing was a haphazard mess IMHO (that kind of stuff drives me nuts). Also, the "chassis module" ECU is mounted in a place that gets spray and muck off of the driveshaft.
Another issue on the models with air brakes is that the rear brake actuators hang down and are very vulnerable to damage when off the pavement.
As a positive, the M2 does have great visibility and turning radius though.
If you are looking for an intermediate truck to build on, and plan on traveling south of the border, I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the newer rigs with DPF. (diesel particulate filter) They are not intended to run on anything except ultra low sulfur diesel and are prone to problems no matter what they are fed.

hope this helps, YMMV, JMHO, etc..........

camperman

Observer
I had a few issues with my M2, which was a 2007 factory build. I was not at all impressed with the build quality. As an example, during routine maintenance and inspection (20k) I noticed that one of the tranny oil cooler lines was rubbed nearly all of the way thru by the transmission mount. In fact, all of the wiring and air line routing was a haphazard mess IMHO (that kind of stuff drives me nuts). Also, the "chassis module" ECU is mounted in a place that gets spray and muck off of the driveshaft.
Another issue on the models with air brakes is that the rear brake actuators hang down and are very vulnerable to damage when off the pavement.
As a positive, the M2 does have great visibility and turning radius though.
If you are looking for an intermediate truck to build on, and plan on traveling south of the border, I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the newer rigs with DPF. (diesel particulate filter) They are not intended to run on anything except ultra low sulfur diesel and are prone to problems no matter what they are fed.

hope this helps, YMMV, JMHO, etc..........
Now I understand exactly. Thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles