Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Really like your drawers and was planning on heading that direction also for my 80 series (shouldn't have bought those rear seat covers yesterday :) )
Can I ask how they are attached to the floor?
Thanks
Matt

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Sure. In my first set of drawers the floor in the set was open. I used turn buckles in the corners. That worked pretty well. In the new set the floor is solid. I removed the third row seating mounts and used those threaded points to secure the drawers to the truck with large fender washers and bolts.

The clam shells are are mounted horizontally to the drawer set with 1/4" T nuts, and vertically to the second row seating hardware positions. I removed the seat hardware from the floor of the truck and used those mounting points with large fenders and bolts.

What this has done is secured the entire drawer set in a half dozen spots to the vehicle itself. It doesn't rattle at all. I am not worried a bit about the safety of what I have put in here becoming a weapon in a roll or collision.

Cheers,

Box Rocket

being able to see this truck at least a few times a month I can say it's one of the most well "equipt" (haha) 100 series out there. Paul has serious attention to detail and is probably a little OCD when it comes to organization and how the truck is set up. EVERYTHING has it's place, and there is purpose and well thought out function behind even the smallest detail. I will probably end up with a 100 series before too long to possibly replace my aging 80 series, and Paul's truck will be a source of lofty inspiration when I get to that point.

But this thread needs more action shots, so I'm going into hijacker mode (sorry Paul) and posting a few that I have. :)

_MG_9631.jpg

_MG_9896.jpg

_MG_9584.jpg

_MG_9480.jpg

_MG_0008.jpg

_MG_3863.jpg

_MG_3865.jpg

_MG_3870.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

Equipt

Dang Adam!! Really great shots. And thanks for the kind words. Might have to agree with you on the OCD issue.

Cheers,

Equipt

So what made you switch from the 35's to the 295's? Are you happy with the switch?

I had a full set of 315 Mud Terrains on there for some time. The started to hum the minute I drove away from the tire shop, and only got louder. What I really liked about these tires is how burly the truck looked with them on. There is a lot of talk about rubbing issues and the 315s. I honestly did not find that a problem. Did they rub in full compression turning. Yep. Don't turn that sharp.

I switched to the 295s for several reasons. The All Terrains are more quiet, add tread on the ground, and handle better. I gained a little bit of power back, and the smaller size helps on the mileage too. I much prefer the All Terrains, but I haven't completely given up on the 315s in the future.

Cheers,

Equipt

I'm curious Paul if you have had this beast on a scale?

Yes I have. It has been a couple years back. I believe the number came in at 6985 lbs. That was with rack/tent/drawers/fridge/protection/aux tank. No aux fuel or camping gear in there. It's pretty heavy, by anyone's standards. I have gone through 3 different spring rates, and tried air bags for a while. Finally went with the heaviest rate I could, and it runs out better now than it did stock. I even haul around a 14'x7' dual axle Haulmark enclosed trailer with ease. Last year we did Hole in the Rock Trail fully loaded. Climbed everything. In '08, I learned how to drift a fully kitted 100. Now that was cool!

One thing that comes up in conversation is the concern with the weight of building a complete drawer set with 3/4" plywood. Here is my take on this. The 3/4" material gives a set the robustness it needs to withstand the extremes that a thinner material cannot do. Metal or composite materials not withstanding. The weight of the 2 rows of seats removed is pretty close to the weight added with the drawer set. The seats are heavy units. The seats carry passengers, the drawer set carries gear. With the exception of the fridge, my gear weighs less than my buddies. It seems like a draw to me, give or take a few pounds.

Cheers,

FireGuy

Adventurer
• Old Man Emu heavy-duty front control arms

How do you like these control arms? I was unaware that OME made control arms for the 100 series? How is your alignment holding up?

Equipt

Incredible build, I want one. What sort of highway MPG do you see?

I see 11-12 mpg on open road. Inversely proportional to application of right foot.

Around 10 with the Chaser in tow.

Cheers,

Equipt

• Old Man Emu heavy-duty front control arms

How do you like these control arms? I was unaware that OME made control arms for the 100 series? How is your alignment holding up?

I really like the set up. I took a little while to dial in. We had it ramped up to the max for a while, and that left no down travel. That was pretty rough. The rear springs settled in a bit and we could lower the front some. Smoothed it right out. The alignment hasn't been much trouble at all. Except for the occasional operator induced adjustment.

cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles