Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
The passenger side rear door opens to another clam shell enclosure. This one took a bit longer to put together. It is built a bit taller, at 12" inside. It encloses our on demand hot water shower system, air compressor, and electrical inverter. The water tank for the system dictated the height for the clam shell, and subsequently the rear drawer set.

The hot water system provides pressurized, temperature adjustable hot water for showers, and cooking. It draws from a 40L water tank also located in the clam shell. The tank is an early model Front Runner 40L Roof Rack tank. I connected it to a prefilter and then to a Sureflo Marine Grade Pressure Sensitive Water Pump. The pump draws the water through and into a 1.5 gallon electric water heater that can heat the water to 180 degrees. The hot water is then blended with cool water at a shower valve, and fed through a 12' line with a shower nozzle. We use a Eezi-Awn Series 2000 2.5 meter awning and Rec Vee panel set to create a very large shower room on the side of the truck. It works really well. Also on the front of the clam shell is a gravity flow water valve for tank water access without having to use the shower head.

View attachment 71359View attachment 71360View attachment 71361

Installed next to the shower system is an Estreme Outback ExtremeAire Magnum compressor. It is tied into a 80 amp breaker and can generate 150 psi continuous. The blue hose in the photo is a heat dissapation hose designed to remove the heat from the air coming through the line. With the clam shell lid open, it has enough space to operate correctly.

View attachment 71362View attachment 71363View attachment 71364

We also attached a 800 Watt Cobra power inverter to the face of the clam shell to address our charging needs. Both 120V and USB charging available. I had a larger inverter on my old drawer set, but I believe the 800W unit is plenty for the items we use it for. The power for the clam shell can be disconnected via a set of 200A Anderson style connectors in the passenger rear side storage. The clam shell is removable for replacement of the second row seats. The change out time is under a half hour.

I really really like this clam shell idea. I think this has just solved my storage solution dillema for the rear cargo area. Thank you for posting your build. :)

Box Rocket

• Old Man Emu heavy-duty front control arms

How do you like these control arms? I was unaware that OME made control arms for the 100 series? How is your alignment holding up?

Paul can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he meant he has OME heavy-duty TORSION-BARS, not control arms. If they are in fact control arms, that's sweet and I had no idea OME made control arms and should see if there is a Tacoma option available.

Last edited:

Sawyer

Adventurer
Paul can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he meant he has OME heavy-duty TORSION-BARS, not control arms. If they are in fact control arms, that's sweet and I had no idea OME made control arms and should see if there is a Tacoma option available.

You are correct. The front would be torsion bars not control arms. The front suspension on a 100 series is still limited at this time. You can do aftermarket torsion bars (Iron man, OME, etc.), after market UCA's (Total Chaos, Carl's, JT's), and a greater range of shocks. In the rear there are a couple of after market Control Arms available (Slee, Wild West, etc). Hope this helps!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You are correct. The front would be torsion bars not control arms. The front suspension on a 100 series is still limited at this time. You can do aftermarket torsion bars (Iron man, OME, etc.), after market UCA's (Total Chaos, Carl's, JT's), and a greater range of shocks. In the rear there are a couple of after market Control Arms available (Slee, Wild West, etc). Hope this helps!

The front is both torsion bars and control arms, 4 of them. But OME doesn't make any control arms, just the torsion bars ;)

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Thanks for noticing that Adam. You guys are correct. It is the heavy duty torsion bars, not the control arms. I fixed the mod post. My bad. They are the Toyota control arms.

Cheers,

Equipt

Tiki Bar

Awesome truck Paul, but how do you find room for the Tiki Bar?

Oh, you would be so proud. I created a mobile one that fits in the Chaser. It folds out and screws together in about 10 minutes. Inaugural party was this past May at the Cruise Moab TLCA event in the San Rafael Swell district of Central Utah Desert. The Lone Warrior Saloon. 3 taps, still going strong.

No more burning the bar on the last night. We've gone big time!

Lone-Warrior-Saloon-1.jpgLone-Warrior-Saloon-2.jpgLone-Warrior-Saloon-3.jpg

Equipt

Fluids

Paul, Just wondering what kind of fluids you are running...Thanks!

Nothing fancy, that I know. Valvoline for motor and gear. Prestone for coolant. I never made the switch to synthetics. Not sure why either. Both have their place. The standards have not let me down yet.

I run on Chevron Supreme too. It's a bit more, but I seem to get a little better mileage with it. It burns a bit hotter and I like their additives. Just turned over 230K miles and still pretty close to new vehicle emissions.

Cheers,

Equipt

Water Heater

What type of electric water heater did you use and what source did you use to power it?
Nice set up!!

Thanks. It is an Elgena Nautic water heater. I believe it is German. It holds 1.3 gallons of water and runs on 200 Watts. I had Mario at Adventure Trailers special order the electric version of what they use in their Habitat builds for the Wrangler. I have been very impressed with the unit. Solid, insulated, thermal protection, and runs on a 20 amp fuse.

The entire clam shell is fed by a set of 2 gauge welding cable. I installed an 80 Amp breaker for the Extreme Air compressor, and installed a sub panel in the clam shell for feeding the water heater, inverter, and spares. The heater is fed with #10.

Cheers,

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hey, Paul,

I just want to add another sincere "Thank You." It's great that you're willing to go to all of this effort to show us how you put your impressive truck together. A wonderful collection of well-chosen modifications to an extremely fine vehicle.

Best,

Mike

Equipt

Thank you Mike, for the very kind words. I've been meaning to do this for quite a while now. More to come!

Cheers,

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thank you, Paul, for your comments on this water heater and I agree with Mike, thank you for sharing your TLC with us ! :sombrero:

Regarding that water heater :

http://www.elgena.de/

(there's a Union Jack "button" to the left for a google translation)

http://www.elgena.de/produkte.htm

(they make a 10L version and a variety of other water heaters, too)

http://www.elgena.de/nautic-junior.htm

(i'm fond of this one, 10L, Typ 'M' - then use an Espar heater, as Dinoevo did for his Mitsu, but this electric version is perfect for a removable arrangement ! :chef:)

Thanks. It is an Elgena Nautic water heater. I believe it is German. It holds 1.3 gallons of water and runs on 200 Watts. I had Mario at Adventure Trailers special order the electric version of what they use in their Habitat builds for the Wrangler. I have been very impressed with the unit. Solid, insulated, thermal protection, and runs on a 20 amp fuse.

The entire clam shell is fed by a set of 2 gauge welding cable. I installed an 80 Amp breaker for the Extreme Air compressor, and installed a sub panel in the clam shell for feeding the water heater, inverter, and spares. The heater is fed with #10.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles