best truck/suv for international travel?

bwhite829

Observer
Okay all, here is the plan. in about 3-4 yrs, my wife and i plan on starting a trip around the world. She is a huge fan of disney parks, so we are going to go to each one around the world, and I am going to take my kayak and do some fishing all over. What is the best choice worldwide for a reasonable budget. We were thinking SMB but i dont' know about breakdowns in foreign countries. From what I've read Taco's and 4runners are a huge vote, as are discos and LC's. What are your personal opinions as far as mileage, dependability, and parts availability? we will be towing a modified pop up most likely.

bob91yj

Resident **************
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd go with the Toyota product that meets your personal needs the best.

Toyotero

Explorer

Ditto... unless you want to go with a less expensive vehicle then a pre-1995 Toyota truck or 4Runner with the 4 cylinder R series engine. They are great in all 3 categories.

Tacomas are great trucks, but parts can be scare the further from the US that you go since they are a US only marketed (and manufactured) vehicle.

dzzz

I agree that Toyota is the most rational.
Are you sure you want to tow? I think once you do a complete analysis you won't be towing.
Don't assume the best way to go is to buy in the U.S. and ship.

bwhite829

Observer
what are other options besides shipping? sell the car instead of shipping? what are the other options besides pop up as well? i wouldn't mind living out of an suv w/ a RTT or maggiolina, but i don't think my wife shares that sentiment. so far the disney thing is the only thing thats gotten her about worldwide travel.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Lots of Options

There are as many answers to this question as there are people.

For me, the shortest answer is a Toyota Land Cruiser, that can burn high sulphur fuel, with 750x16 tube tires and a roof top tent. Note that you probably can't buy this vehicle in the US.

I wouldn't consider a trailer and, with age and experience my minimums are:

-- Indoor sleeping/cooking
-- Nothing that needs to peg into or attach to the ground. (Some times you have to "camp" in a town square or at a border post.)
-- 500 mile range
-- Food/water for a week

The best, most academic study of this issue may be here: http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/choosevan.htm (But notice that in the end, he ended up buying a used Bimobil!)

But there are variables:

-- Why are you doing this? Do you really want/need to go "Around the World?" Consider making several, shorter trips.

-- Comfort matters. I have met a lot of burned out overlanders - tents, customs, police, language - after a month or three it can get to be too much. You stop traveling and start simply surviving.

Some suggestions:

-- Start following the blogs/web pages of people who are really doing this. Add a tremendous BS filter and learn to catch the clues of some of the really expensive problems they have had. For various reasons, most bloggers want to make it sound really easy.

-- Unless you are already experienced campers/outdoors people, try your hand at some shorter trips near home. How do you react to downpours or snow? This may tell you that you want a hard sided camper.

-- How much have you traveled overseas and how many languages do you speak? This will give you some sense of how well you can deal with foreigners for extended periods of time. (Shocking, but the world is full of "foreigners.")

-- What are your mechanical skills and inclinations? I had Chevrolets in Africa for decades, but I did, or supervised, all of my own work and I had the specialty tools needed. Less handy? Get a Toyota.

This web site is a gold mine of information and links to people who are doing just what you want to do - learn from their experiences.

And have a great, safe trip.

Last edited:
Yes, if you aren't stuck on buying a US purchased/US market vehicle, get a diesel powered 78/79 series Landcruiser with whatever camping facility you see fit on it (frame mounted camper on pickup or pop-top camper or raised roof on Troopcarrier hardtop).
If you want a larger vehicle, there are scads of Mercedes 1017As (~10 ton GVM, 4X4,~170hp 6cyl OM352LA diesel ubiquitous worldwide) especially in Europe.
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...7A&grossPrice=false&features=FOUR_WHEEL_DRIVE
If it is >25yrs old it can be imported into the US!!

Charlie

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Amazing link!

My Deutsch is nil, but those are amazing prices.

Of course, after a few years being driven by folks doing their national service, I wouldn't bet on them having clutches or brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online