2 Adults, 5 Kids, Every Country in North and South America in a Veggie Powered F250

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Our family of seven left Alaska in April 2011 in our modified Ford F250 that's been converted to run on vegetable oil. We'll drive to Ushuaia Argentina, visiting every country in North and South America. We expect to take 2-3 years for this trip.

We'll be crossing into Mexico this month (Oct 2011) through Texas.

Our websites share our family overland travel adventures, and inspire others to design the lifestyle of their dreams.

Alaska-to-Argentina-Truck-Slider-500.jpg

Darwin

Explorer
That definitely sounds like an adventure. Are you taking any tools with you or spare parts in case you break down?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Great to meet you all at our shop in Prescott last week. Stop by if you pass our way on your journey back from Snowflake. Be glad to help you out with your spot lights and see if we have more goodies for you.

P.S. best behaved kids we'd had at the shop in a long time.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Great to meet you all at our shop in Prescott last week. Stop by if you pass our way on your journey back from Snowflake. Be glad to help you out with your spot lights and see if we have more goodies for you.

P.S. best behaved kids we'd had at the shop in a long time.

Thanks Martyn! It was really great to meet you and see all of the cool gear you have there. Loved it!! Thanks for the lights too.

I'll talk to Greg and see if we want to head that way again.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
A Test of Endurance - 5+ Mile, 4+ Hour hike in Capitol Reef National Park

Capitol-Reef.jpg

We embarked on this amazing hike in Capitol Reef National Park, that resulted in an extreme test of our endurance!

It was great though, because these are the types of experiences that don't occur while vegetating in your 'own little corner of the earth.' But they're the type of experiences that cause personal growth and build character. And that's what we're after.

You can read the story and see videos here.

matt s

Explorer
OK I'll bite. I read through your site and can't figure it out. HOW do you fit two adults and five kids in an F250? Did you add seats somewhere?

Really like what your doing and your children will see and learn things others only dream of.

Syncronicity

Observer
I admire and am envious of what you are doing and the way you are able to live your lives. Looks like you guys are having a blast and are living the dream.:bowdown: Beautiful family. That being said I hope you don't mind a little criticism. Being a long time Search & Rescue member and having done many of Utah's slot canyons over the years. Watching your family in that slot canyon had me cringing. You guys seemed to be way under prepared. Flip flops, no contingency gear to speak of (unless your wife was carrying it all), freezing and exhausted kids, exiting the canyon after dark. Looked like a recipe for disaster :Wow1: I'm glad it turned out well this time. I don't think I will be signing up for your program, but will be following your trip as much as possible. Have a great trip and Happy trails.:camping:

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
I admire and am envious of what you are doing and the way you are able to live your lives. Looks like you guys are having a blast and are living the dream.:bowdown: Beautiful family. That being said I hope you don't mind a little criticism. Being a long time Search & Rescue member and having done many of Utah's slot canyons over the years. Watching your family in that slot canyon had me cringing. You guys seemed to be way under prepared. Flip flops, no contingency gear to speak of (unless your wife was carrying it all), freezing and exhausted kids, exiting the canyon after dark. Looked like a recipe for disaster :Wow1: I'm glad it turned out well this time. I don't think I will be signing up for your program, but will be following your trip as much as possible. Have a great trip and Happy trails.:camping:

Yep, we were a little unprepared. But I feel comfortable with my husband's ability to manage the potential dangers. He's had a fair share of medical emergency training, and is very clear-headed and capable. It was actually still light when we exited the canyon, you just couldn't tell from the video.

As for flip flops - that's about all we ever wear (my husband wears them year round and hikes everything in them). We're a 'flip flop flamily' as my kids say. Maybe we're related to those tribes that go everywhere barefoot :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles