Six-Pac T100-S Camper on Tacoma 4x4 - 4 Cylinder - Any Opinions or Thoughts?

Eric Mayer

Hello all!

I'm new on the forums, but have been reading, investigating, etc for a long time. I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a mid-2000's T100-S - Six-Pac Camper. However, I am having concerns that my 2006 Tacoma 4 Cylinder (manual transmission) will not be able to haul this around.

I was hoping to take it up to the Eastern Sierra area of California, as well as Flagstaff, etc.

If anyone has this set-up, or anything close to it, I would really appreciate any information you can offer. Also, if anyone has an opinion, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Well no one else has chirped in. Personally I think it's asking a lot of the engine. Might fair okay on flats but you're going to be climbing hills very slowly I suspect.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That combo would likely be more responsive than mine. I have a pop-up that might be a tiny bit lighter than the T100-S but not much. The truck has the 2.4L 22-RE 8-valve 4-cylinder with barely over 100 hp and a 5-speed. I'd consider your 2.7 to be a powerhouse.

It's leisurely, but you do see more that way. I can cruise at 55 mph on the flats but inclines require a lot of slowing and downshifting. I drop into 2nd gear for some highway passes in CO and hold it at 35 mph as to not over-rev. You'd probably be able to pull those grades in 3rd, which would be awesome.

I really enjoy it though--I have no desire for a V-6. I can do several weekend trips on one tank of gas and it sure is easy to monkey around on the engine--there's plenty of room.

Everything's relative. My combo is a bit more responsive than my parents', which is a 22-foot class-C motorhome on a Toyota chassis with dual rear wheels and the 22-RE. Whenever mine starts feeling slow, I drive theirs. Then mine feels like a sports car.

I like to take it easy--I just use moderate throttle and keep my revs and expectations low. The engine's never complained. The 22-re in my parents' camper has lugged all that weight for 120,000 miles without a hiccup.

Some suspension assistance really helps. I'm using a cheap pair of 1/2-leaf helpers from the parts store but if I could justify the cash, I'd go for some Timbren rubber springs.

Another Eric

Last edited:

Eric Mayer

Thanks very much for the information! I actually had my wife read what you posted as I was heading to see the camper. It is in beautiful condition and very clean. The owner obviously has taken care of it. My wife and I are going to head out on Saturday morning to take one more look (when it's not raining) and finish everything up.

I'm going to definitely beef-up my suspension and make some other changes!

I used to spend 50+ nights in a Casita Travel Trailer, so I miss being out and about!

Thanks again for the info! I will post up some pictures after Saturday!

Eric

dzzz

I think it will be fine if you keep all the other stuff that goes with camping to a reasonable level. It is a big four cylinder engine, and a manual. Almost all the rest of the world does just fine with this sort of power to weight ratio. As tanglefoot says you just have to drive the hills like a trucker. I have to do that in my rig and it doesn't bother me at all.
Some class C RV's were built on the toyota 4. Those were underpowered, but had a considerably larger front section than your popup.

lqhikers

Adventurer
six pac on a taco

we have used a six pac on a 4 cy manual 4x4 taco and did not have any problems,a couple of things to do,add air bags,not air shocks if you plan on removing and using as reg truck,if not add a spring pac ,you need at least one or the other,rear sway bar,a must to have a safer ride.
also check the hold down straps on the water tank,ours was mounted on the passenger side with 2 pieces of plumers tape your full tank will break loose on rough roads if you do not reinforce the mounting points,i used L brackets under the tank and replaced the tape with 1 inch steel strap.
i also placed wood spacers between the base of the camper and the wheel wells to keep the camper from shifting on rough roads,trails etc.
because we used ours in Baja i reinforced the corners of the camper with 2 inch x1/4 inchx10 inch L brackets these were mounted under the outside lip of the camper with stove bolts drilled and bolted through the frame.
we used this camper for many a trip to Baja,all with the taco
and yes the truck was over the grw but had no problems because i KNEW i was over weight and drove with this in mind.
hope this gives you some insight to help you decide.
drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les.Lqhikers

Eric Mayer

Thanks for all the great info! I purchased the camper today. It's a 2006 Six-Pac T100-S, with furnace, fantastic fan, outside shower and roof rack.

I'll be working on getting my Tacoma up-to-snuff in the suspension department, with leaf being preferred, but airbags maybe being easier as it is my daily vehicle as well. I have also researched sway bars and would feel more comfortable with that installed as well.

I'll be checking in as things progress. In the meantime, here are some pictures!

Thanks again!

Eric

sixpac2sm.jpgsixpac3sm.jpgsixpac1sm.jpgsixpac4sm.jpg

805gregg

Adventurer
Your going to need a lot of upgrades, my friend put a 4 wheel camper on his Taco with a v-6, he had to get new springs on all 4 corners, and add a supercharger to the engine, it seems Toys are undersprung and underpowered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles