tranny problem with my reverse and lower gears...

HMardueno

I have a 98 Trooper it has 140,000 I just purchased it and now the reverse on the transmission seems to slip and then jerk it makes the whole truck shake any ideas? now also the two lower gears will not go in I cant even bring the shifter down to them I think it might be the same problem...help...anyone?...thanks :confused:

HMardueno

no no lights but now my check engine light came on I talked to the owner of the dealer who seems like a very honest religious guy and he said that the car was sitting for about 2 months after being a daily driver since 97 98 so that maybe they did not do any tranny service so that now that I drove it from california to las vegas te tranny sucked up all the bad stuff that was sitting or that maybe it was low on oil but I have no idea and the check engine he said since it sat for a while that the oxygen sensor might of gone bad or something...?:eek: but I dont know...MAN I LOVE MY TROOPER EvEN IF IT HAS THESE PROBLEMS...:D

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Go to any auto parts store and get a scan and see what the codes are for the CEL. If it gives you have a "bank too lean" code it is more than likely your Intake Manifold Gasket and not one of the O2 sensors. Which is a good thing, because the sensors cost about $100 a piece, and the gasket is only about $40. It is a lot easier to change the gasket than the sensors, so go that route first, then try the sensors. You may also want to change your PCV $5 and clean out your EGR. That should take care of that code, if not, then go for the sensors.

No dash light for your transmission more than likely means an internal problem with your transmission, so I would suggest taking it to a shop and have them drop your pan, as there is no dipstick for the transmission, and check the condition of the fluid, the fluid level, and to check if there are large amounts of metal in your transmission. If there is not a lot of debris in your transmission then a flush should correct your transmission problems. The 4L30E transmission in the Trooper is a very solid unit and should last 200K or more before failing. If that does not correct the problem then it could be a bad solenoid or relay. I know after performing a flush the range sensor needs to be cleaned or you will have some of the same problems that you have just described. I hope some of this helps and you get your problems corrected with out too much cost. I know that the 4L30E transmission in the Trooper is a very expensive unit to have rebuilt.

That reminds me, I have to have my transmission serviced.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior