Any mountain bike reccommendations

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
How is riding in November and December?
Prescott's shoulder seasons are anyone's guess. The spring and fall months can have snow one week, 80 degree temps the next. This can go back and forth for weeks and weeks.

Last year I believe we got a few flurries around Halloween, but I logged 800 miles in November last year so it must have been great. I do remember last year we sorta got shut down on December 15th when genuine snow rolled in. That was the biggest snow year in 30+ years though. Don't be surprised if it's 65 and sunny mid December. It likely will be.

I anticipate being able to get full ride time in all through October, November, and hopefully much of December. The coldest months with the most likelihood of a few trails being partially blocked is Jan/Feb.

Applejack

Explorer
Without knowing what kind of riding you'll be doing and what you're looking for in a bike, I'll just throw out some general suggestions.

I'm assuming you'll be doing easy trails and/or paved roads. I'd recommend going with a hardtail (front suspension only). Specialized has a women-specific model called the Myka. I'd recommend going with at least the Disc model, or the Sport Disc, which is right under your price range. Take a gander at one at your local shop. Make sure you're fitted properly.

You will also notice that this bike also comes in a 29" wheel size. It's been gaining quite a bit of popularity over the last several years. I ride one, but my wife, who is 5'6", doesn't like them. She prefers her 26" wheels. So they're not for everyone. You will have to ride a few and decide.

Also, remember to take into consideration that you'll need extra money for a helmet, gloves and bike shorts. Hope that helps.

X's 2 Good advice. Don't let people talk you out of disc brakes either. They are worth the extra money. And look for a fork that has a lockout on it, so you can make the fork ridged which is better for long steep climbs.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I think we're looking at two bikes for her now -

Trek Skye SL -

trek_2011_skye_sl_wsd_white.jpg

Specialized Myka Disk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
5'7" is a fine height for most women who aspire to ride a 29er. When you get to town stop by and we can help size her a bit better.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
FYI, A very good friend of mine is sellig her Salsa Ala Cart 29er HT for $700. It's fully rigid, which might not be your cup of tea, but it should fit like a glove. It's in exceptionally good condition. Her husband is a long time bike shop mechanic, so that's why it's in such good shape.

Just an idea.

phsycle

Adventurer
29er Ala Carte? I thought all Ala Carte's were 26". Almost bought one, but opted for an El Mariachi instead (which is the 29er version).

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
29er Ala Carte? I thought all Ala Carte's were 26". Almost bought one, but opted for an El Mariachi instead (which is the 29er version).
Whoops. I didn't mean to type 29er. It is 26". But if you stand really close the wheels look very large. :sombrero:

phsycle

Adventurer
I'd get that Ala Carte. They're SWEET bikes. Although I'm not sure what the build spec is, I'm sure it'll be better than the aforementioned bikes. If its the older version, the TT OX frame is awesome. If it's the latest version, the swing drops are fantastic. So you can't lose!! If you need suspension, you can pick up 26" forks for pretty cheap, so no biggie. Bought a Manitou Black for the wife's bike for $75. Also a SID for $100. But riding rigid is cool, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94