First time Offroading my new G550

Remgitano

Just a quick 2 cents: 16" tires ride better than 18" (or greater rim diameter) because the sidewalls are not as stiff. Consider the weight of a G Wagen... the 18" tires have to be of significantly lower profile (70 vs 60 vs 50 etc) to maintain the same overall tire diameter that the manufacturer had in mind when designing the vehicle. To support a G's weight, the sidewall must be stiffer as the sidewall profile becomes shorter. The 70, 60, 50 etc profile means that the tire's profile is that percentage of the tread width which is why the 22 and up rims have tires that look like rubber bands with respect to the sidewall height. The additional stiffness of the sidewall to allow such a tire gives the stiff ride but allows higher cornering speeds because the tire, at higher G loads doesn't have the propensity to roll over upon itself. That's ideal for high speed cornering or track use on an appropriate vehicle. That same "short sidewall" is not compatible for anything beyond light trail use especially in circumstances that warrant "airing down". You will also find slicing of the sidewalls on sharp rocks to be a potential problem.
That said, I had an '08 G500 and loved it! Never had any problems with it and only sold it (stupidly, wish I still had that silver beast!!!) because my plans changed. Never mind the nay sayers! Get it out and enjoy it! If you like the low profile tires for the street that's fine. It's your vehicle.Eventually you'll figure out if your present tire and wheel combination are working for or against you. If there is any "rugged" off roading in your future you may want to opt for a second set of rims with aggressive off road tires suitable for your area like the BFG mud terrain vs the all terrain tires (or whatever brand you prefer). The G is still around because it is simply an amazing design! Congrats on your ride!!!

rhyno

Remgitano, that was a very good write up!

Thanks everyone, it's nice to hear some positive feedback. I'm very happy with this wheel/tire combo. I have 1000km on it now and there is almost no road noise from the tires, she also drives very straight with no tramlining. This is my DD so the 20's work for me. When I go hard core wheeling I take my Polaris 800 RZR side by side and beat the crap out of it, that's something I won't do to my Benz lol

NothingClever

Explorer
Rhyno, welcome to the Portal. Thanks for taking the time to register and post a photo of your new arrow in the quiver :victory: . You picked a good spot in cyberspace for abundant information to help you learn, research and make decisions regarding vehicle touring. As you can see already, sometimes you have to sort through posts that are outside your expectations or focus. Regardless, welcome and I hope you enjoy it here.

rhyno

My friend with the black G55 just bought a G Cabrio this past weekend so we took it 4x4ing with my side by side a Jeep JK and a quad. The new owner of the G wanted to see what it could do offroad so he got it stuck twice and the Jeep got stuck once. Had a great day and thought I would share some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 85

TCao

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looked like it was a fun play day.
Really like the outside rear view mirrors on the Cabrio. They look like the ones on the Pur Gwagens.
attachment.php

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cool that the blue Cab is a turbo diesel 5spd. Do you know if it's the 617A(out of the early '80s 300TD's)?
I saw it on ClubG archaic classifieds in Vanc, BC.

rhyno

Yes this is the same truck that was on ClubG for sale. My friend bought it last weekend. It has a OM602.962 motor swapped into it which is a 5 cylinder Turbo diesel and a 5 speed tranny out of a W201 benz. The old owner said he had driven a few different stock diesel Gwagons and this one put down alot more power and was sportier to drive.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes this is the same truck that was on ClubG for sale. My friend bought it last weekend. It has a OM602.962 motor swapped into it which is a 5 cylinder Turbo diesel and a 5 speed tranny out of a W201 benz. The old owner said he had driven a few different stock diesel Gwagons and this one put down alot more power and was sportier to drive.

A factory 290GDT engine maybe?
OM 602 D 29; 602.942; 1992-1996; W461; 290GD I-5
Any pics of it?

rhyno

I have never been to Jersey Shore, I don't have any tattoos and I don't wear UFC Tshirts! But I do have Rockstar wheels and I think they look great on the G!!

otiswesty

Regular guy
Well now, that's just not true.
It can't handle 99% of the trails west of the Mississippi - nor east of for that matter.

Since you speak so certainly, either you have alot of experience with V8 powered 463's on trail or you have none.
I have been with stock G500's in Death Valley in all conditions and stand by what I said.
:chef:

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Since you speak so certainly, either you have alot of experience with V8 powered 463's on trail or you have none.
I have been with stock G500's in Death Valley in all conditions and stand by what I said.
:chef:
Yeah, I and was standing next to him - and was ever he said, he's right.....

8787029zdf.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well now, that's just not true.
It can't handle 99% of the trails west of the Mississippi - nor east of for that matter.

Agree.

Do what you want to the truck, run whatever tire + rim combo that suits you.....ect ect ect. But lets not go bending the truth.

Why is it G owners all refer to a soft top truck as a "Cabrio"!? I realize Benz calls them that but everybody else in the 4wd world calls it a soft top. Cabrio just sounds snotty or cheesy or like you are not in a 4wd. Doesn't VW call it's soft top Cabrio, along with the other European manufacturers? What is it a Euro thing!? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior