Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I haven't had any real chance to use the trailer for recreational purposes yet, but today I put it to work bringing some topsoil home. I loaded it with 21 40-pound bags of topsoil (840 lbs.) and a 10-lb. bag of grass seed for a total cargo weight of 850 lbs.

The trailer tracked really nicely with that weight in it, and was extremely smooth.

Topsoil1.jpg

I was running the 3-Axis Coupler so I could give that a good test with a full load. It's easily the quietest coupler I've ever had - no noise from it whatsoever.

TopSoil2.jpg

TopSoil3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm telling my wife we need a 3-way coupler in order to properly haul stuff from Home Depot.
I plan to convert my yellow trailer to have a tongue receiver as well so I can use the 3-Axis with that trailer too. The 3-Axis is so quiet I don't want to ever go back to an ordinary trailer ball.

I haven't had any real chance to use the trailer for recreational purposes yet, but today I put it to work bringing some topsoil home. I loaded it with 21 40-pound bags of topsoil (840 lbs.) and a 10-lb. bag of grass seed for a total cargo weight of 850 lbs.
TopSoil2.jpg

By the colour of that grass I know why you needed all those bags of topsoil :) Trailer tracks beautifully though, I wonder if the coupler would be noisier/harsher with a lighter load?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
By the colour of that grass I know why you needed all those bags of topsoil :)
Yup, had some bad weed grass taking over so I killed everything in the area with Roundup, this morning I spread the topsoil and planted new grass so pretty soon all will be as good as new. It was nice to be able to tow the trailer to the work site in the lawn rather than hauling 840 pounds of dirt there manually.

Trailer tracks beautifully though, I wonder if the coupler would be noisier/harsher with a lighter load?
No, the coupler is just as quiet with a light load, I've done lots of testing of the coupler with the trailer empty. The only noise from the empty trailer is from the slipper springs when the trailer hits a bump. With a load the slipper springs are quiet but empty they make some noise. Would be nice if HF trailers had shackled springs instead of slippers.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been using the 3-Axis coupler a bit, but hadn't gotten around to putting a final finish on it. Yesterday I shot the parts with epoxy primer, followed by a matte black final finish. Here's a few photos of the final end result...

3AxisFinal1.jpg

3AxisFinal2.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
Scott, in your opinion, would the Harbor Freight frame have made the 1000 miles? I'm just trying to guage the limits of one build vs another.

Sent from my iToaster

compactcamping

Explorer
loren85022, IMHO a HF frame is not up to this type of usage long-term. I would be concerned about bolts coming loose and their stiff springs. The couple of mechanical issues we had with rigs was do to bolts vibrating loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles