Uses for a Mog besides expedition

355spider

So now I need to sell the idea of an 80K truck to my wife besides expedition use. I'll have my box made for easy removal so I can use the truck in down time. I can always claim home depot but that's a bit overkill. I did use my FJ Cruiser to pull 20+ tree stumps out of the ground last year when the snow downed our trees. And it never leaves the family stranded in the snow. Another good mog selling point. Of course hear in Dallas that's not often at all. ANy ideas. What do you guys use yours for besides wheeling and expedition?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The "UNIversal-MOtor-Gerät" as the Unimog is short for, is probably the single most adaptable vehicle made for a variety of duties. They can be equipt to do anything from transporting people where no other vehicle could, to rough cut mowing, street sweeping, tunnel cleaning, train shunting, forestry, the list goes on.

They can be outfitted with 3pt hitch's, front and back, picker cranes, drilling rigs, backhoe's, trenchers, winch's, ect.DSC00025.jpguni-we10.jpg0046.JPG060504005D_mlm_unimog_detail021_01.jpgfraeseinheit_kl.jpg060504002D_mlm_mhu_unimog_einsatz_01.jpg060504004D_mlm_unimog_detail1_01.jpg

I use mine for offroad recovery, not as a business, just for fun.

Here's an example of how wild an application the Unimog can be used for:

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
If you need a reason to buy a Mog other than just owning a Mog, then you shouldn't buy one :) or to paraphase a famous quote - if you have to ask, you shouldn't get one..

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
In the UK the vast majority of unimogs are used by utilities companies and arborists. With the exception of people who like to drive offroad for fun, there are not many unimogs in private ownership. They are large, complex and expensive and pretty much anything you'd need to do around a home (even with a large estate), or in general recreational pursuits, can be done more cheaply with a different tool (quad bike, small tractor, pick up truck, trailer, etc). Buying one to have fun in is a good reason, but trying to justify ownership by claiming that it is a practical vehicle is ridiculous.

Do JCB sell fastracs in america or austalia? those are usefull toys.

dzzz

The front PTO is useful, particularly for a back up generator. Or a rotary snow plow to impress the neighbors.
If the mog has 24 forward gears you can enter and win the "go slow" tractor race at the county fair.

But I think most people who own mogs let other people vacuum the sewer.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
How about pulling out wreckers that get in over their heads. Once told not to go down a very muddy nasty ravine. 1 ton trucks buried with 5th wheels at Pismo beach. F450 stuck in mud with the lake rising (these are a few of the pictures on my "wall of shame). I think they can be the right tool for the job. It has been fairly "practical" to this point. There are many vehicles that can do some of the things much better. You just have to look at the compromises and see if your "needs" make it the right truck.

355spider

If you need a reason to buy a Mog other than just owning a Mog, then you shouldn't buy one :) or to paraphase a famous quote - if you have to ask, you shouldn't get one..
Same thing I tell people about owning a ZR1 like I have.
In the UK the vast majority of unimogs are used by utilities companies and arborists. With the exception of people who like to drive offroad for fun, there are not many unimogs in private ownership. They are large, complex and expensive and pretty much anything you'd need to do around a home (even with a large estate), or in general recreational pursuits, can be done more cheaply with a different tool (quad bike, small tractor, pick up truck, trailer, etc). Buying one to have fun in is a good reason, but trying to justify ownership by claiming that it is a practical vehicle is ridiculous.

Do JCB sell fastracs in america or austalia? those are usefull toys.

Shhh. Lets not bring logic into this. I'm not taking you around my wife.

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
If its the best truck for your trip then why do you need any other justification?!

We ended up off the side of a gravel road and sunk in some soft stuff last week. A bit of too-ing and fro-ing and we were going down further so I stopped. But 3/4 of the air out of the tyres, and a little digging to assist, and we drove out 2 hours later unassisted. Any other truck of similar weight would have been on the axles requiring a much bigger and more expensive recovery effort.

Do you want to get stuck? No? Buy a Mog then! One of the many duties I've delegated to my wife is pushing when we're stuck as required, so she's pleased we have decent off road capability ;)

Jason

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Or a rotary snow plow to impress the neighbors.

That would be useful up here in the far north. There are private roads up here that can not be plowed with a blade because of large amounts of snow. If we had a good winter you could stay busy. But then I think global warming is taking care of us getting anymore large amounts of snow, so not a good long term investment.

Tennmogger

Explorer
Uses for a Unimog besides expedition: Today I spent a few hours with front loader and backhoe contouring around my daughters home. Other common jobs are mowing (7' rotary cutter), pasture conditioning, disking, splitting wood, dragging logs out of the woods, sawing firewood with hydraulic chain saw, moving hay rolls with spear on 3-point, running 10kW generator (on 3-point), trimming trees (hydraulic 10 inch cutting disc), grading driveway (7' contractors box), moving dirt (dirt blade), lifting heavy stuff (1500 lb cap boom on rear), burying dead/big animals (yuk). One day I'll have the 40 ft hydraulic boom crane operational! And occasionally going out 4 wheeling or on recovery mission for someone who 'didn't make it'. Unimogs earn their keep if you use your imagination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior