Pintle vs Lock&Roll vs Max Coupler

LikeABoss

Observer
I took the pintle off my LTT flat deck and put on a McHitch. It was the only thing heavy duty enough for my use. I went with the 6 metric ton rated (original not automatic) which is excessive but I'm good with that. I've only put a few thousand miles on it so I can't give a long term review but so far I love it. Absolutely silent with no free movement in your connection. More articulation in all planes than my truck/trailer could do without contact. They are not cheap but I used the added security to help justify. Not many people can hook up to a mchitch and drive away.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
This is like trying to build a better mousetrap. All the fancy designs and setups... a military pintle, like the one on my M416, is the basic mousetrap. It works, and flawlessly.

FireJeep

Ok, so here is a potentially really stupid question, on my m416 the Lunette bolts through a cast piece and has a spring and nut on the back side (all appears to be stock mil issued stuff), there is a grease fitting on the cast piece that the lunette passes through, I assume this is to allow the lunette to rotate axially (in line with the jeep)? So if this is correct then why would you need a pintle that rotates?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok, so here is a potentially really stupid question, on my m416 the Lunette bolts through a cast piece and has a spring and nut on the back side (all appears to be stock mil issued stuff), there is a grease fitting on the cast piece that the lunette passes through, I assume this is to allow the lunette to rotate axially (in line with the jeep)? So if this is correct then why would you need a pintle that rotates?

You don't need a rotating pintle in your situation - your lunette ring rotates. That is the original multi-axis hitch set-up from the 40's (and still a great design).
I wish someone would come out with a rotating lunette ring that slides into a 2" receiver - I'd be first in line to buy one.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It looks as if you want to have the matched set of either a rotating lunette and fixed pintle or rotating pintle and fixed lunette

Rotating lunette and fixed pintle
IMG_0088.jpg

Neither half rotates so swap in the rotating pintle in the next picture
1.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz