Best domestic overlanders?

Chris S

Greetings, what in your opinions are the domestic vehicles of choice to undertake long-term overland travels? By this I mean 3 months or more in outback Latin America, Asia and Africa where spares and support cannot be guaranteed, conditions can be tough and so reliability and durability are important factors.

I'm talking about Fords, GM, Dodge, Jeep etc. I am particularly interested to know if there is a specific pre-electronic models (presumably older, pre-2000?) on which it all came together. I've tried scouring various forums but am not very much the wiser.

Over here for example the selection is no less small but the choice is almost exclusively Land Rover Defender (in particular Tdi300s) and just about any diesel Tojo LC. I wonder if the optimal range is as narrow in North America?

thanks for your input.

Chris S
(UK)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
The Chevrolet Colorado is an good platform IMO and keeps it on the small. On the large-end I would consider a Dodge 2500 with Cummins diesel, purely for the Cummins and manual transmission option.

I like the looks and moderate body size of the GM HD2500s, but don't like the idea of only automatic transmission and a mostly/reasonably unmodifiable front suspension system.

I might even say Ford Ranger. The running gear appears from a distance to have some faults but I hear very few things wrong with these little trucks?

I've seriously considered selling some Cruisers and doing a full-size domestic build, but they're just as spendy as a new Cruiser and I don't like bench seats.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
I might even say Ford Ranger. The running gear appears from a distance to have some faults but I hear very few things wrong with these little trucks?
My Ranger was a pile of junk. Owning that drove me back to imports for good (I sold a perfectly fine 1983 Civic to buy it).

Anyway, I think the answer to his original question is what domestic rig(s) are the go-to platforms. There are plenty of perfectly serviceable trucks here, just as there might be in the UK or anywhere else. But what are the choices should you start completely fresh?

I have to say a couple obvious options running through my mind are:
Ford F350 (the '97-'00 Powerstroke 7.3L, right?)
Dodge Ram 3500 ('01-'05, the ones with a NV5600, right?)

Can't say a Jeep only because the ones I consider worthy mechanically are probably too small volume-wise as a base. The CJ8 would be on the list, but how old are we looking for? Also can we consider a Tacoma as domestic because it's built here?

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I would chose a 94-98 Dodge with the Cummins engine (all mechanical) and NV4500 transmission. Coil sprung front end with a solid axle and leaf sprung rear solid axle.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I like the older Dodges, but am not planning on leaving NA with it.

If you are looking for something with a larger camper, you might consider posting this same question on www.expeditioncampers.com. From the little time I've spent there, I predict that they'll tell you the only US truck that might be a consideration for world travel (from a parts availability standpoint) is a Ford. You should also read the vehicle history of the Turtle Expedition, http://www.turtleexpedition.com/.

For Africa and Asia, I think you would have to look at imports, and the main options here are Unimog U1300s and the Mitsubishi Fuso FG.

Scott Brady

Founder
Small: Jeep Cherokee XJ with 4.0L (actually very reliable and capable)
Medium: Chevrolet Tahoe 2-Door, Ford Bronco
Large: Ford Super Duty with 7.3L Turbo Diesel

I would only select the Cherokee or the Super Duty if I had the choice.

Great to see you here again Chris!

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
I love my 2001 Grand Cherokee WJ Limited with Quadra-Drive, rear Dana 44 and Straight D30 upfront: Iron Rock Off-Road 3" lift + JKS disco.'s, Addco Rear sway-bar. Plenty of room for 4 + gear, boats/bikes on top, plenty of power from 4.7L V-8. I love it and have no complaints (other than gas mileage, which isn't all that bad). My first choice was an 80 series when i bought it, but I'm also paying for College as a Mechanical Engineering student and I couldn't find one in my budget.

The Jeep replaced my '98 Range with 3.0L V-6 & man. tranny. I loved the truck, but it didn't work for carrying people or a large amount of stuff in the cab. Ruby, the Truck, was sadly lost in an accident. I bought the Jeep w/ intentions of Driving myself and company from SC to CO over Continental Divide and Home. I have plenty of faith in the vehicle and the Trip will happen in about a year.

Am I saying that it's THE BEST? Not necessarily, but I do think it is overlooked and should be considered.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Chris,

In reading your original post, I am guessing you are partial to diesels. If that is the case you should know that the US is woefully short on small diesels. We have import cars with diesels (VW, MB, etc), and big heavy diesels in trucks, but nothing really in-between, and nothing off-the-shelf in a LR/LC-sized 4x4.

haven

Expedition Leader
it depends

Chris,

Tell us more about the type of travel you anticipate.

Are you traveling with more than one companion? More than one vehicle?

Do you want to be self-contained (food, water and fuel, at least) for more than a week?

Will you be camping regularly, or only occasionally, when local accomodations are not available?

How often will you transport the vehicle by boat? This has an impact on how tall and wide the truck and camper should be.

Do you plan to travel along roads regularly used by other vehicles, or do you plan to go out of your way to attempt challenging routes?

Chip Haven

chet

island Explorer
For fullsizes I would go with a '94-'97 dodge cummins although the front ends can have some issues.

or a Ford superduty with the 7.3PS leaf spring all around and a great truck.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Chris S said:
Over here for example the selection is no less small but the choice is almost exclusively Land Rover Defender (in particular Tdi300s) and just about any diesel Tojo LC. I wonder if the optimal range is as narrow in North America?

thanks for your input.

Chris S
(UK)

If I had the narrow choice of a diesel Land Cruiser or Land Rover I would be pretty happy!

Can you still get diesel Jeeps (Wrangler/Cherokee) in Britain? If so that might be more attractive than a gasoline one available here.

Cheers,
Graham
(Ex UK)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94