Best domestic overlanders?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The powerwagon is an awesome rig. I'm pretty sure it has the AAM 9.25 axle in the front, not the D60.

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
what's the beef with Ford Ranger? i see tons of them on the road- do they just not have the heft most off roaders need? or the overkill they want?

since the smaller pickups are being "super sized" what else is left in that sized model?

i'm planning a purchase next year so am beginning research.

thanks,

j

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I would not hesitate to use a ranger. I have one in my drive way I have beat on pretty good for the past 235,000 miles. No problems other then the original plugs and wires being defective and an a/c hose blew out. the rest has been normal service. THe tranny started slipping about 2 months ago so it has sat in the driveway because I have not decided what I am going to do with it. Great truck imo and great part availability no matter where you go with it. Last vehicle on the market that is a true compact truck I believe.

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
I wouldn't choose a Dodge to travel around South America, it's very difficult to find parts and service.
For instance, Dodge withdrew from the Colombian market back in the late
70's with the Dodge Dart, since then every single Dodge has been grey market and I've seen a lot of late model Durangos and Rams sitting around non operational, specially those with V8 and V10 engines.

For serviceability and parts availability I would choose a Toyota, Land Rover or Nissan for South American travel. But since we are talking NA built, I would choose a Jeep product, they have good representation around South America and the new models are starting to get here slowly but steadily.

Cheers

805gregg

Adventurer
How about Jeep Liberty diesel (CRD) or now Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel? I just did a 2 week trip to Baja in my Liberty and loved it a little crowded but everything worked out great and they are sold all over the world. I saw hundreds in Baja, sorry not many Toyotas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles