4runner to Tacoma rear axle swap

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
My rig is a little on the heavy side. 2010 Tacoma DC/LB and I carry a Four Wheel Camper.
I also have a 2003 4runner. The difference in brakes between the 2010 Tacoma and the 4runner is amazing. I have changed the front rotors, pads and brake lines on the Tacoma, it helped but I need more.
I have found a 2004 4runner rear axle for sale and I am gathering information to see if I want to swap the axle into my Tacoma to add rear disk brakes. I know there are people that sell kits to add rear disk brakes, but I want to stay with Toyota parts and keep my parking brakes.
My question is about the tone rings on the 4runner axle, short of pulling both of the axles apart, I need to find out if the two axles have the same amount of tone ring pulses. I want to be able to make the swap look like it came from the factory that way and don't want to lose my ABS.
Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
So you are gonna swap the leafs for the coils, Doesn't the 04 4Runner have a 4 link in the back with coils?

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
That part is kids stuff to me.:Wow1:

Actually, the four link brackets will come off and spring perches will weld on.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Even though I could probably make them fit, the fact that you loose the ABS and parking brake is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Also they use a custom rotor.
I really want the truck to seem like it came with four wheel disk brakes from the factory.
Thank you though for the idea.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online