where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

r3run33

Adventurer
back on topic! those cayenne's were made for that trans-siberian rally a few years back. all of them can't still be in russia; if youexpand your search to europe and actually russia I think you will have more luck. After that rally I do believe some of them actually went on tour to various dealerships you may get lucky and one may be in the states. As for that last coment about lexus

Attachments

• DSC_4458.jpg
    DSC_4458.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 481

jluck

Adventurer
Thanks to the constructive responders. I do like that Lexus! matter of fact I like pork chops too!:wings:
I am really leaning to the cayenne now more than ever.Now to start pinching pennies!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks to the constructive responders. I do like that Lexus! matter of fact I like pork chops too!:wings:
I am really leaning to the cayenne now more than ever. Now to start pinching pennies!
Since you're in Oregon, it might pay you to keep an eye on the Freeman Motors website if you are not already doing so. Obviously, you'll need to thoroughly check out any used car as complicated, and sometimes reliability challenged, as a Cayenne/Touareg, but Freeman Motors more often than not will have one or more reasonable used examples. (None listed now, though.)

Viggen

Just here...
If I were going down this route, and Im saying this not because Im a reformed Dubber or anything but I would go with the Touareg. Solid powerplants, great all weather abilities, actually very good offroad, seals that keep everything out, good fording depths, good in the mud (like anything, dependent upon tires), and actually designed to be off road capable (unlike the Porsche twin). I would get my hands on one without the air suspension (or swap it out with adjustable coil overs or the stock steel springs) and start working on fabbing everything else up.

2005-vw-touareg-expeditions-tow-2.jpg

2005-volkswagen-touareg-e_460x0w.jpg

car_photo_17979_7.jpg

2005-VW-Touareg-Expeditions-Tent-12.jpg

treghigh_750.jpg

You can get a full belly skid system and a winch mount for behind the front bumper. 95% of the stuff posted on this site can be done by a smart driver in a TReg.

Oh, and dont forget the painters mask (something only a Dubber would laugh at).

D

Deleted member 13060

Service records!!!!!!!

Proper service by the book is important on all vehicles. On Euro cars it's critical. As a 20 year Euro Car tech I insist my customers get service records when buying anything from Europe. Esp if it comes from Germany.......

SRN

Adventurer
I'd second the Toureg. All around a more capable starting point than the Cayenne, and still off the wall enough that it should satisfy your desire to not be main stream.

jluck

Adventurer
my research yields that the frame,suspension and running gear are same or extremely closely related except the cayenne has a real rear locker option. and I have read quite a lot of good reviews (off road related) on the cayenne. not to say it's alot better than the VW but I bet its just as good.
Does the toureag have rear locker option of aftermarket availability?

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Cayenne?

I'm in a similar situation...

Our mission statement is: thousands of miles of highway and then hundreds of miles of nasty gravel washboard. No 'wheeling' involved. We need something that can cruise the black slab with minimum driver input and then suck up the bumps of bad gravel without shaking everything to pieces...

Considering either a Toureg or a Cayenne or an ML 500 (of 55 AMG)

Keep talking guys - this is helpful to me too!

Cheers,
Mark

D

Deleted member 13060

Just a heads up on the Cayenne....... Not meant to be a Cayenne bash. Just some info the shoppers might find usefull in making a decision....

I have a (maintained by the book) 04 turbo in the shop that needs/needed a water pump and t-stat. 9+ hrs ("book" time, actual time is closer to 12 hrs) later and a pile of cheap-*** plastic breather hoses and cooling system parts that were found to either be rotted or broken before any one touched it and the car is going back together.

Oh yeah, the starter is under the intake manifold along with the t-stat and cooling hoses.

Heaven help you if you ever have a problem out in the boonies with one of these things. Someone at Porsche should be fired and/or flogged........

YMMV RON

PS did I mention this car has only 52,000 miles on it???? Left the dealership in 04 for about $132K it's worth low to mid $20's today..... Now I know why. It goes w/o saying the original owner is a bit disgusted with the thing and wandered off muttering about not buying another one if it would save his life..

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
The early peppers and touaregs were problematic. I have a T2 and except for a minor moonroof leak, have been trouble free. I've taken some very tough trails on a stock steel spring V6 (I've since upgraded the tires) and found it very capable.
Now for the disapointments.
Those cool pics above were an option 7 years ago and are not available now.
Typical steel or aluminum skid plate (if you can find someone to make one for you) will cost you 5X what others pay.
No after market rear or front bumper.
No after market rock sliders (except Porche)
No lift kits.
That's the reason VW has abandoned the Touareg's offroad capability in favor of a grocery getter.
As capable as the Treg is offroad, there just isn't any aftermarket demand.

For the record, the tow rings are fully snatch rated at all four corners.

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 280

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Decided to pull the trigger on an '03 pepper 'S'.
About 60k on the clock.

I'll post pics when I get a build going!

Cheers,
Mark

jluck

Adventurer
Just a heads up on the Cayenne....... Not meant to be a Cayenne bash. Just some info the shoppers might find usefull in making a decision....

I have a (maintained by the book) 04 turbo in the shop that needs/needed a water pump and t-stat. 9+ hrs ("book" time, actual time is closer to 12 hrs) later and a pile of cheap-*** plastic breather hoses and cooling system parts that were found to either be rotted or broken before any one touched it and the car is going back together.

Oh yeah, the starter is under the intake manifold along with the t-stat and cooling hoses.

Heaven help you if you ever have a problem out in the boonies with one of these things. Someone at Porsche should be fired and/or flogged........

YMMV RON

PS did I mention this car has only 52,000 miles on it???? Left the dealership in 04 for about $132K it's worth low to mid $20's today..... Now I know why. It goes w/o saying the original owner is a bit disgusted with the thing and wandered off muttering about not buying another one if it would save his life..

thanks for the straight talk.I have dealt with other German repair bills and certain parts of my body still hurt. with that said.....will you sell your turbo for "low to mid 20's?". and the goofy engineering seems to be through out the manufactures these days, rig stops-call rocket scientists I guess. I think I would be in the same boat with the g500.

:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles