where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

D

Deleted member 13060

thanks for the straight talk.I have dealt with other German repair bills and certain parts of my body still hurt. with that said.....will you sell your turbo for "low to mid 20's?". and the goofy engineering seems to be through out the manufactures these days, rig stops-call rocket scientists I guess. I think I would be in the same boat with the g500.

:smiley_drive:

Not my car. It belongs to a customer and I got to watch our other tech learn to hate German engineers today...... the customer is going to drive it for awhile and try to spread his costs out over a few thousand miles..

The shop I work at specializes in German Cars. I've been working on them for 20 years and drive a 2011 FJ which was proceeded by an 06 Tacoma a 98 S-10, an 89 Toyota P/U and a bunch of Japanese motorcycles.... Maintained them all and put a minimum of 80K on all the trucks never had to "fix" any of them... What does that say????

YMMV RON

jluck

Adventurer
Not my car. It belongs to a customer and I got to watch our other tech learn to hate German engineers today...... the customer is going to drive it for awhile and try to spread his costs out over a few thousand miles..

The shop I work at specializes in German Cars. I've been working on them for 20 years and drive a 2011 FJ which was proceeded by an 06 Tacoma a 98 S-10, an 89 Toyota P/U and a bunch of Japanese motorcycles.... Maintained them all and put a minimum of 80K on all the trucks never had to "fix" any of them... What does that say????

YMMV RON

yea I cant argue the point of the jap rigs there good, real good, just boring. I have had a few landcruisers (loved them) and many other jap pickups and suv's. I just really want something more "exotic/different" I guess. I am leaning to the g500 still. if the economy ever picks back up.
I do like the Lexus lx450's but there soo over priced now. (a SUV with 200k for 12 grand:Wow1:) really.......
just dunno. I wont do anything for a while so I got time to think about it.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
My Cayenne is on hold until Jan!

Had a choice between a new roof and a Cayenne - which would your wife choose? Mine too.

Don't worry jluck - we'll get a Cayenne build yet!

SRN

Adventurer
I am leaning to the g500 still.

Why a G500? Just curious. You could pick up an older Gelandawagen for substantially cheaper than a newish G500. Same basic vehicle, but without all the luxury features.

Don't call me a hater, but I'm just not following the desire to build a expedition rig out of a hyper expensive luxury vehicle. There are so many vehicles that are immensely capable, very comfortable and "unique" that don't carry a massive price tag. Just poke around this forum and you'll find many examples. Personally I would be nervous to take a Cayenne or G500 out into the places I like to go, and I'm not heading out on difficult trails. The Rocky Mountain pin striping that my Pathfinder has incurred this year alone would probably have me breaking down in tears if it were on a Cayenne or G500.

I guess if you've got tens of thousands of dollars to throw at a vehicle and really, really want to show up the Land Rover crowd, then something like a Cayenne will do trick. But I just think that you would be better suited in the long run by choosing something different. But I guess this is ExPo, where people claim that camping is "overlanding" and you can't do that without $400 hiking boots, titanium coffee mugs and mahogany campaign chairs, so who am I to judge?

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Why a G500? Just curious. You could pick up an older Gelandawagen for substantially cheaper than a newish G500. Same basic vehicle, but without all the luxury features.

Don't call me a hater, but I'm just not following the desire to build a expedition rig out of a hyper expensive luxury vehicle. There are so many vehicles that are immensely capable, very comfortable and "unique" that don't carry a massive price tag. Just poke around this forum and you'll find many examples. Personally I would be nervous to take a Cayenne or G500 out into the places I like to go, and I'm not heading out on difficult trails. The Rocky Mountain pin striping that my Pathfinder has incurred this year alone would probably have me breaking down in tears if it were on a Cayenne or G500.

I guess if you've got tens of thousands of dollars to throw at a vehicle and really, really want to show up the Land Rover crowd, then something like a Cayenne will do trick. But I just think that you would be better suited in the long run by choosing something different. But I guess this is ExPo, where people claim that camping is "overlanding" and you can't do that without $400 hiking boots, titanium coffee mugs and mahogany campaign chairs, so who am I to judge?
hehehehe......but man will you look cool when its time to go p/u the croissants w/ chocolate. :coffeedrink: And don't forget to throw the guy w/ the cardboard sign a buck at the stop sign. Dude.......unique!!!!

jluck

Adventurer

All those luxury features is what I'm seeking. I plan on taking full advantage of depreciation to get the rig I decide on and I most certainly will take it on any trail I want too. I'm not worried about scratchs and dings.and no I'm not a self proclaimed extreme snake wrangleing adventurer but do really enjoy long family trips to the rockies. This won't be a show you up purchase,I want the utmost comfort and a rig that makes me feel good and a reward my efforts in life.

jluck

Adventurer
hehehehe......but man will you look cool when its time to go p/u the croissants w/ chocolate. :coffeedrink: And don't forget to throw the guy w/ the cardboard sign a buck at the stop sign. Dude.......unique!!!!

So do tell. What rig is needed to go to the quickie mart for that box of wine?:sombrero:

SRN

Adventurer
All those luxury features is what I'm seeking. I plan on taking full advantage of depreciation to get the rig I decide on and I most certainly will take it on any trail I want too. I'm not worried about scratchs and dings.and no I'm not a self proclaimed extreme snake wrangleing adventurer but do really enjoy long family trips to the rockies. This won't be a show you up purchase,I want the utmost comfort and a rig that makes me feel good and a reward my efforts in life.

I guess at this point I'm just playing devils advocate here, but what luxury features does the Cayenne or G500 have that you desire? Where do you intend to take the vehicle? Have you considered Discoveries, Range Rovers, late model Trooper/Acura SLX's, Infiniti QX4's? All those vehicles can be chocked full of luxuries depending on the trim level, would cost you a fraction of a Cayenne or G500 and have a larger support network.

My biggest worry, particularly with the Cayenne, would be drivetrain damage. Yes, you are not going to be taking it rock crawling, but you hit a rut at 30 mph on a desert road and you're in a heap of trouble. Nearest town is Boondocks, Nevada and the local parts store ain't gonna have no Porsche parts, or even an interchange part. So now you're either hobbling it to the next place that has a Porsche dealer, potentially causing more damage, or getting a tow truck at a substantial cost. Then the part is probably dealer only, and dealer install only so now you're out several more thousands of dollars. I mean, I hope this doesn't happen, but these are things to consider.

Additionally, even if you can pick up a Cayenne for say, $30k or so, modifying it as an expedition vehicle is going to even further drag the resale value down because there are probably only a handful of people in the world that want to have one set up like that, so you'd likely have to sell it at a loss down the line. It's not like a Land Cruiser or D110, where a nicely setup rig can command a premium because people want those vehicles setup that way.

Again, don't call me a hater, these are just questions that I would have. I just hope that you are not traveling down a path that you might regret later. If you do move forward with a Cayenne build I will definitely be interested in seeing the progression and even more interested to see it on the trail. Perhaps when you get it done we can meet up over a campfire and I'll sip my Jack from a tin cup while you enjoy your 12 year Tullamore Dew from an elk hide bound titanium flask. ;)

jluck

Adventurer
I guess at this point I'm just playing devils advocate here, but what luxury features does the Cayenne or G500 have that you desire? Where do you intend to take the vehicle? Have you considered Discoveries, Range Rovers, late model Trooper/Acura SLX's, Infiniti QX4's? All those vehicles can be chocked full of luxuries depending on the trim level, would cost you a fraction of a Cayenne or G500 and have a larger support network.

My biggest worry, particularly with the Cayenne, would be drivetrain damage. Yes, you are not going to be taking it rock crawling, but you hit a rut at 30 mph on a desert road and you're in a heap of trouble. Nearest town is Boondocks, Nevada and the local parts store ain't gonna have no Porsche parts, or even an interchange part. So now you're either hobbling it to the next place that has a Porsche dealer, potentially causing more damage, or getting a tow truck at a substantial cost. Then the part is probably dealer only, and dealer install only so now you're out several more thousands of dollars. I mean, I hope this doesn't happen, but these are things to consider.

Additionally, even if you can pick up a Cayenne for say, $30k or so, modifying it as an expedition vehicle is going to even further drag the resale value down because there are probably only a handful of people in the world that want to have one set up like that, so you'd likely have to sell it at a loss down the line. It's not like a Land Cruiser or D110, where a nicely setup rig can command a premium because people want those vehicles setup that way.

Again, don't call me a hater, these are just questions that I would have. I just hope that you are not traveling down a path that you might regret later. If you do move forward with a Cayenne build I will definitely be interested in seeing the progression and even more interested to see it on the trail. Perhaps when you get it done we can meet up over a campfire and I'll sip my Jack from a tin cup while you enjoy your 12 year Tullamore Dew from an elk hide bound titanium flask. ;)

you have all very good points and I do appreciate the replies. so I guess my only defense here is that I have had 5 land cruisers, still have one land rover and a mild built Suzuki sidekick and It comes down to I like the look of the cayenne, the specs of the g500 (looks too) and both have a extremely high build quality (debate-able with some years of merc). I almost bought a right hand drive diesel D110 last year but had reservations about it driving like a brick.as I have never had any exposure to one.I have health issues that are increasingly ruining the enjoyment I get while off road so I want something very comfy.
I have been to the parts store a few times and said the word "landcruiser" and got laughed out of the building too so that can be an issue with any brand rig.
I also am not known for keeping the same rig for very long so heck, I might end up with all the mentioned rigs here.

oh yea.....I don't even know what this "12 year Tullamore Dew" that you know about is....:sombrero:

really though thanks for the input.

addicted56

Adventurer
I have a V10 Touareg and sadly haven't driven it much. Bought it out of state and it had a bad engine that is now in rebuild phase at a cost of I don't even want to think about it. I agree if anything broke on the trail you are F'd. Most complicated and un-fixable thing I have ever witnessed in my life.

The T-reg comes with a 50/50 transfer-case while the porsche is more of a 70/30 rear biased T-case. I don't know how the center diff lock changes this feature though. The T-reg also comes with a rear electronic locker. I have air suspension but actually hate it. Very stiff off-road and loud. Never comfortable in any mode. The optional air compressor off-road is nice though. I would opt for steel suspension but good luck finding a steel truck with the rear locker option. Don't really think I've even seen one.

It is a very nice truck and I agree the options are nice and it will be a grocery getter for us for awhile. But at 13K you can't go to wrong for a vehicle that has 315HP and 550TQ and much more with a chip and a few mods.

I have heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel (nice when cold) and ever person has their own climate control to include a separate Air conditioner for the rear. Easily customizable with a VAG-COM. Hell even has a seperate diesel powered Webasto heater I can manually or automatically control to run when the engine is off to prewarm the engine block or keep me warm while the truck is off. My mirrors automatically fold in to keep them off of trees or from that coupe in the parking lot with huge doors or naughty kids. Dual batteries from the factory and one heck of a fording depth. I can't wait to actually drive it :Wow1:

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
The thing that's so interesting about this forum, is the number of people that come here with a 'serious offroad' background. There's not a lot of rock crawling going on here folks. It's all (or almost all) on roads of some sort. They might be bad roads, with hundreds of miles of washboard or with foot deep ruts from commercial trucks passing through in the rainy season - but they're still roads.

Every post that I read that someone says, "You'd never get that up the Porcupine Corkscrew!" reminds me how few people actually understand the concept of 'overlanding'. I think it was Scott that said in one of his posts (to paraphrase) '... in reality, almost everything we do could be done with a Westfalia, and everywhere we go we find a clapped out Corolla has been there before us ...".

A Cayenne is a near perfect platform for overlanding. It had power to spare. It has an absolutely rigid superstructure. The lower control arms are high strength steel to withstand tons of abuse, while the uppers are lightweight aluminum to save weight. It has a great awd system. It has a phenomenal suspension that delivers fantastic on road performance coupled with fantastic 'off road' performance. If you've seen anything of the Trans Siberia, you've seen how fantastic they are.

What's the issue?

Nobody blinks an eye when you tell them you're taking your Rover to the ends of the earth, and nobody blinks an eye when you tell them that the damned Rover broke down on the way to the supermarket - again! But tell them that you're taking your Cayenne down a fire road and they all 'helpfully' tell you how it's going to break down in the middle of nowhere and 'what will you do then?'

The primary definition of 'expedition' states that it is a 'journey'. Getting up the Porcupine Corkscrew on a Saturday afternoon is not a 'journey'. The secondary definition of 'expedition' is 'promptness in acting - dispatch'. In a Cayenne, arguably, you can undertake a 'journey' with more 'dispatch' than you can with any other vehicle in the world.

Try to keep up. :victory:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Pick me up a dozen glazed will ya......toss the homeless guy a 5 for me.....too much money......too much time....I admire the guy w/ the clapped out Corolla. Land Rovers are at least industrial not frilly (Read...Show off Mall Crawler)...money well spent.....

jluck

Adventurer
The thing that's so interesting about this forum, is the number of people that come here with a 'serious offroad' background. There's not a lot of rock crawling going on here folks. It's all (or almost all) on roads of some sort. They might be bad roads, with hundreds of miles of washboard or with foot deep ruts from commercial trucks passing through in the rainy season - but they're still roads.

Every post that I read that someone says, "You'd never get that up the Porcupine Corkscrew!" reminds me how few people actually understand the concept of 'overlanding'. I think it was Scott that said in one of his posts (to paraphrase) '... in reality, almost everything we do could be done with a Westfalia, and everywhere we go we find a clapped out Corolla has been there before us ...".

A Cayenne is a near perfect platform for overlanding. It had power to spare. It has an absolutely rigid superstructure. The lower control arms are high strength steel to withstand tons of abuse, while the uppers are lightweight aluminum to save weight. It has a great awd system. It has a phenomenal suspension that delivers fantastic on road performance coupled with fantastic 'off road' performance. If you've seen anything of the Trans Siberia, you've seen how fantastic they are.

What's the issue?

Nobody blinks an eye when you tell them you're taking your Rover to the ends of the earth, and nobody blinks an eye when you tell them that the damned Rover broke down on the way to the supermarket - again! But tell them that you're taking your Cayenne down a fire road and they all 'helpfully' tell you how it's going to break down in the middle of nowhere and 'what will you do then?'

The primary definition of 'expedition' states that it is a 'journey'. Getting up the Porcupine Corkscrew on a Saturday afternoon is not a 'journey'. The secondary definition of 'expedition' is 'promptness in acting - dispatch'. In a Cayenne, arguably, you can undertake a 'journey' with more 'dispatch' than you can with any other vehicle in the world.

Try to keep up. :victory:

well put.

I guess my only question now is; WHERE ARE THE PORSCHE CAYENNE EXPO BUILDS?
:luxhello:

jluck

Adventurer
Pick me up a dozen glazed will ya......toss the homeless guy a 5 for me.....too much money......too much time....I admire the guy w/ the clapped out Corolla. Land Rovers are at least industrial not frilly (Read...Show off Mall Crawler)...money well spent.....

again , zero contribution. but I guess that's humor of some kind. Maybe I would get it after a bottle of MD 20/20.(no thanks). I do admire the guy in the corolla too though. thats how I started.

modern land rovers not frilly?.....:confused:

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
So I'm confused. Some on this board will take a $70k landcruiser on the trail but skoff when someone takes their $40k Touareg or Pepper on the trail because???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online