where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

'Overlanding' is a term used a lot these days. This NYT article has insight into the experiences of three people and their families we have met. We have known Ray Hyland and family and Chris Collard for years, met Dan Grec last year. While our adventures have not been as far flung, we all share the same passion.

dreadlocks

Got my TDI back yesterday after getting it fixed, they recently did a 2nd update to the tune and apparently its much better than the original fix.. In one way its better than the original cheating tune, all hesitation is gone.. much like my last tuned TDI... but otherwise the pedal feels far less responsive and I can definitely feel its been nerfed, lots of torque is gone.. The transmission changes so it coasts now, and I'm not sure if I like it or hate it.. its the most noticeable change of the fix behaviorally.. It'll be great for fuel economy but terrible for brakes, as long as I can still manually shift in the mountains and get engine braking I think I might keep it this way.

Had til April to get it fixed, waited til last moment.. few days from now I'll have +$9k in my pocket and a nice warranty, I've got a small oil leak that requires engine out and im 95% sure the dieselgate warranty will pick it up (others had engine re-sealed to fix oil leaks thanks to warranty) and once that is behind me I'll be installing a Malone Stage 2 tune w/full delete ($1600), possibly remapping transmission back to original ($300) and pocketing the rest of the cash.. they replaced the DPF and a large chunk of the exhaust, so taking it off here in the next few weeks is gonna be super easy.. no rusty exhaust bolts to fight.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Got my TDI back yesterday after getting it fixed, they recently did a 2nd update to the tune and apparently its much better than the original fix..

We are still keeping our diesel original - w/o the AEM-AG01 'fix'
Thanks for confirming that the latest AKB6 software campaign is a patch for the software 'fix'.
There is another current campaign to check part numbers for a related hardware part as they believe some have the wrong one.
Porsche wants to verify the exhaust gas recirculation cooler P/N.

dreadlocks

yeah they fixed the first fix.. the lil hesitation I had originally was apparently compounded w/the original fix and lots of people complained left turns in traffic were stressing em out.. it seems to be really only thing they changed, its better than the pre-fix as far as responding when you let off one pedal and push on the other.. but then when it gets going u dont feel the power anymore, its closer to the loaner Q5 Gas feeling in acceleration now than it was before.. ud hardly think it was a diesel with the neutering job they did.

I was always gonna tune it, the TDI I gave back to get this was tuned and I never regretted it.. so turning down that money seems silly.. especially if I manage to convince em to re-seal the upper timing chain cover since its on back of engine, that was a live with it oil leak (less than a qt in 10k now) that I can get taken care of before I void the warranty.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Heading out on 26 February for the ALCAN 5000 rally - most of which will be north of the Arctic Circle. 5,000 miles one way.
This years route includes Kirkland, WA, Quesnel BC, Fort Nelson, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Eagle Plains, Inuvik NWT, Tuktoyaktuk, Aklavik Ice Rd, Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Chena Hot Springs, Iditarod start in Anchorage at Mile 5120.

ddddddd.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Great article on the builds coming out of E-motion. I got to visit the shop and meet Joey when I was in town for Luftgekuhlt last year.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Subjected 'Otis' to a cold weather test -- Competitive Overlanding, doing our 2nd ALCAN 5000 Rally.
--- first photo from yesterday's stop in Tuktoyaktuk at the Arctic Ocean
--- second early on in the rally of the Cayenne S, Macan GTS, and 'Otis' a diesel
Route started in Kirkland, WA, Quesnel BC, Fort Nelson, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Eagle Plains, Inuvik NWT, Tuktoyaktuk, Aklavik via the Ice Rd, Fairbanks, Chena Hot Springs, then finishing in Anchorage for the Iditarod start and banquet at the Alaska Aviation Museum. The rally is 5,120 miles one way.

Ice roads, Autocross on ice, competing for 10 days, driving 10-12 hours every day. Looking forward to the flight home, Otis will be shipped back to the lower 48.

Worst weather on route:
-40F with a blizzard that had 60mph winds. We lucked out and found a room in Inuvik vs sleeping in the car as the Dempster Hwy closed.

Among the 40 vehicle entry field we have a Cayenne S, Macan GTS, and 'Otis' a diesel. All P-cars preforming very well.

DSC_7060 a small.jpg

DSC_7027 a small.jpg

I bought a Cayenne 957 Turbo with PDCC yesterday to modify for off road. So far I've only driven it on road, quite an amazing car.

I have enjoyed reading all of these threads while I've been looking for one with a locking rear differential, there aren't any here (Australia) as far as I can find.

I would appreciate other people's input.
My first priority is to find the tallest 18inch tyre I can fit with standard height PASM suspension (+1" from the durametric software lift), I don't mind cutting out the protrusion into the wheel well from the front of the door sill and moving/replacing the intercoolers and inner guard. I will eventually remove the front under bodywork to fit a metal bash plate and to improve entry angles.

I'd rather get my lift from the tyres than fit a lift kit if possible because it handles so well as a road car it would be so nice just to swap the wheels and drop the Durametric settings back to be standard again for day to day bitumen driving. My other thought is to fit a 2" lift and let the Durametric down 1" to be +1 for on road and up 1" to be 3" higher off road. I want to fit at least 33" tyres, hopefully more. ?

I plan some fairly serious off road, not crazy, but more aggressive than most.

P.S.
I can't imagine what -40f would be like, coincidentally that = -40C, the coldest I've been in is -6C

Last edited:

Cayenne-958-TDI

I bought a Cayenne 957 Turbo with PDCC yesterday to modify for off road.
I will eventually remove the front under bodywork to fit a metal bash plate and to improve entry angles.
We left the front under bodywork and installed skid plates front to back. Most of our 100,000 miles are 'off road' as weprefer tocolor outside those yellow & white lines. While we do not rock climb or mud hole, only time we have had a clearance issue is snow wheeling. Big help for that is to lower the air suspension to pack snow then usually just drive off. For our build and some of what we do see link below, which is not complete or current as we are having too much fun:

I hope to run the car up on ramps this weekend and take the factory covers off and see what's involved.

Unfortunately I can't read the article, there must be some breach of rights to view it in Australia :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles