where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

I'll have a read through tonight.

A quick question on air bags and Bull Bars. If I replace the under Panel at the front with some fabricated metal protective bar work will that effect the airbags ?

Cayenne-958-TDI

I'll have a read through tonight. A quick question on air bags and Bull Bars. If I replace the under Panel at the front with some fabricated metal protective bar work will that effect the airbags ?

Air bags and Bull Bars - discussed this with our fabricator and believe they do not effect the airbags.
Would suggest asking the dealer about how you intend to install yours.

A good read, thanks.

The events you do, are they tours through beautiful/interesting country with competitive sections along the way. It was said that the speed limits are enforced but in one image you have a helmet on. We don't have them here, it's more one or the other not both. Some clubs run observation trials which are a bit like that but only short runs, maybe 150miles return and mostly on bitumen.

I'm interested in your wrap, I looked it up and it's available here but AU$6,000 (about US$4,000). Does that sound right, I wouldn't pay that but I do like the idea if it were cheaper.

dreadlocks

Germans know how to put paint on, I'm not wrapped and this came right off:

IMG_20191016_165622 (1).jpg

at some point you just gotta get your first ding and get the ******** over it.. mine was my son riding his bike handle right into that door in YNP.. I can still spot it in the photo or from across a parking lot, nobody else cares so I try to remember how much fun he had in Yellowstone when I look at it.

Cayenne-958-TDI

A good read, thanks. The events you do, are they tours through beautiful/interesting country with competitive sections along the way. It was said that the speed limits are enforced but in one image you have a helmet on. We don't have them here, it's more one or the other not both. Some clubs run observation trials which are a bit like that but only short runs, maybe 150miles return and mostly on bitumen. I'm interested in your wrap, I looked it up and it's available here but AU$6,000 (about US$4,000). Does that sound right, I wouldn't pay that but I do like the idea if it were cheaper.

Dave,
Most of our travels are with small groups going off-road at slow speeds to prevent damage, enjoy the experience, and for safety. Backcountry Discovery Routes is a Not-for-Profit organization that has planned routes through many states. They give current trail reports, maps, etc. Here is a link to their Washington state route that goes from Oregon up to the Canadian border. https://ridebdr.com/wabdr - these are off-road trips.
The BDR folks have routes in • North East USA • Southern California • Mid Atlantic • Nevada • New Mexico • Idaho • Arizona • Colorado • Utah • Washington • Wyoming Check out their web page https://ridebdr.com
We have done BDR trips and others as overland trips lasting 2 to 3 weeks. Slow pace as we like to enjoy the beauty of the backcountry. Some BDR routes offer 'easy' by-pass options, our Cayenne has never had to use these. Another example is the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (IDBDR) we did including the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway. One section of this starts at ~3,000 ft and climbs to 8,000 ft then down to 4,000 in about a mile.
We also do remote environmental surveys collecting data in both public and private restricted areas. This requires being alone in remote locations.
Another activity we do are Time Speed Distance rally events like the one we posted above that included going to the Arctic Ocean last week. Our 2nd time doing this rally event that has run since 1984, it alternates every two years between summer and winter. Usually ~5,000 mile one way that includes an Autocross on ice, thus the helmet for safety. Below is a video of our 2016 event, 'Otis' is at the 4:08 mark. For this run we had an entry from New Zealand, another from South Africa. Duel sport bikes come along for the summer run - over 20 entries already for summer 2022. For TSD events all speeds are at or below the speed limits with precision driving as the objective.
We have the self healing wrap made by Expel - the cost of the material is much less than the labor. Depends on who installs and how much they do. The full meal deal includes removing then replacing all door handels, trim, etc. Very pleased with the Xpel product. Much less expensive than a re-paint!

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
I usually hang out in the Domestic full size forum but I had to share a Cayenne story.

i was camping in Big Sur, California 6 years ago. A beautiful bright red Cayenne turbo pulls in. Matching custom painted gloss red storage box on the roof. Mom/dad 2 teenage sons pile out. Open the hatch and the Golden Retriever hops out. They set up camp (ground tent! Gasp!) cooked a full dinner. Tossed a football around all evening, had a camp fire. Woke up, made a full camp breakfast, packed everything back in the roof box and took off. No shortcuts, no RTT, 4 people and a dog camping out of a Porsche. I was super impressed.

Lovetheworld

I am interested by this concept of an old cheap Cayenne first gen with some mileage, and just do some really minor modifications. Just a little lift, just fit the biggest tyres possible without needing any grinder. Put on a rooftent and just go. Keeping things light.
But since I always buy Toyota I would be afraid to buy an old German SUV, I fear the repair bills. Some of them are even advertised with a small engine noise haha, as in more than one, and these are mainly VW/Audi engines which I would normally stay far away from.

dreadlocks

the 6cyl's are all VR6 motors VW has been developing since the 90's.. or TDI also made by VW.. the V8's are using Porsche specific engines, but they are very closely related to the Audi V8's of same vintage.. but none of that matters because Porsche is Volkswagen so if ur the kinda person to run from the brand.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

If you can twist your own wrenches, and are mechanically inclined.. old German luxary vehicles are awesome IMO.. but if your the kinda person who has to take it to the shop for an oil change, or worse the dealer, then your gonna be in for a world of hurt because a good German Mechanic is 2-3x the hourly rate of a Yota wrench monkey and some unfortunate failures can be time consuming repairs.

Ive built VR6 motors from the crank up, I took a stock 2.8L with 150HP to 450WHP with all stock internals for 40k miles and when I tore it down to bore it out and put in beefy internals everything was perfectly fine and it looked like any other VR6 I had torn into.. so they are rather robust and nearly bulletproof engines.. as is typical for VAG vehicles, its all the other stuff thats gonna give you the run around, coil packs, maf sensors, secondary air injection and other emissions crap.

Lovetheworld

Unfortunately I never learned to build engines because they always kept working :)
I can do the simple stuff myself, I have to when overlanding in Asia or wherever. But with an engine failure I am depended on other people to fix it, although that won't be a dealership anyway.

The origins of the VR6 in the Golf was not that great. I could keep up with my Celica with smaller engines and the vr6s were often going to the workshop according to the owners. I liked the sound though.
I see VWs as reasonable cars that I wouldn't want to own whenever they are older than 10 years. So many people I know with so many high bills on these cars. I see Porsche at a higher level, being far more reliable. I would have However, in the Cayenne it is a mixture of course.

My cousin is working on my cars for a decent price and he knows German cars. He likes them, but also sees the problems that second hand VWs have.

Anyway, I wouldn't drive it around all the time. I think just to have it for trips. All the other daily trips with an electric car.

Mr. Merk

We had the Turbo serviced about a week ago. We've been having an intermittent CEL with a timing code. I had already replaced both cam sensors and had them replace the crank sensor while it was being serviced. They noted a rough idle on warm starts. I never noticed but apparently my wife had. At some point we're going to need to replace the high pressure fuel pump but I'm going to wait until it has an extended crank or reduced power.

They also found that one of the lower control arm bushings failed and caused inner tire wear. I had new Mevotech Supreme 958 lower control arms installed with new 295/40R20 DWS06 tires. The 958 control arms are aluminum instead of steel and have the solid Turbo S bushings. It drives SO MUCH better now. I knew it didn't feel right but didn't realize how bad it was.

Lovetheworld

Yeah, those are the things I am afraid of, but it seems manageable.

So I've been checking the Cayenne. From what I understand the 955 and 957 all have the low-gearing and center lock, and that the rear diff lock is optional? If so, how do you check if it has one? By looking at the 4x4 dial? the amount of leds there?
And the easy way is to chose the versions with air suspension so you can simply lift it, to be able to drive around with big tires. With that I mean the biggest size that fits on it without hitting anything and without modifying anything.
But when parked it will sit a bit lower right?
Then put on a full size spare tyre on the tow hitch (receiver), in some way that you can fold it down or to the side to open the rear door and you already have a very nice and capable offroader without spending much money.

They all have the rear lock led position regardless if it has the rear lock. It is very rare, not sure why but it is. You can check by starting the car, put it in neutral and push the off-road selector forwards one step at a time, three times. If you have it it will have 3 lights up.

Or check your build/options codes on the sticker in the spare tyre compartment for 1Y1.

Or climb under the car and look for the black differential actuator motor which is about the size of a soft drink can that sticks out of the left hand side of the diff housing and runs parallel to the axel about 3" Infront of the axel.

When I was researching which model car to buy, this was my thoughts based on what I wanted from the car, you may have different criteria. I want the most off road capable options. Some are a bit grey and open to personal opinions.

• The only cars with low range were the 955 and the 957
  • To get the swaybar disconnect you had to have either the full off-road technology package, available on either model or PDCC on the 957
  • The off-road package is extremely rare and were not bought into Australia
  • The air suspension has a better ground clearance and better wading depths and versatility to change from off and on road
  • The GTS has modifications to make it better suited to road use which make it less suitable for off-road
  • The turbo has a ton of tourque - 700Nm from 2250rpm
  • The turbo comes standard with air suspension
  • It is more likely to have PDCC
  • The turbo comes with brakes that some 18" wheels will fit
  • The turbo s needs 20" wheels

I ended up with a 957 turbo.

Last edited:
I believe you can retrofit the locking rear differential into a non locking car. I have done a fair amount of work on this with a great guy from Europe who found the parts from a Cayenne wreck there and has, very kindly, done all the hard work for me. The front and rear diffs are in transit now. The electrics will not plug and play so I will need to make a controller for the actuator that runs independently of the rest of the car. (The advantage is that I can use it without being in low range and that it is a progressive lock so I should be able to vary the slip across the axel from open to locked and anywhere in between).

There are lots of possible combinations of parts in these diffs. So far I believe the housing is the same between Cayenne and Touareg and maybe Q7's. The axel spline appears the same 37 spline across the models. There are many different ratios (my car is 3.27:1 and the ones coming are 4.55). There are also many different axel flange sizes. Mine and the ones coming are 122mm most are smaller and I think the Turbo S is larger.

There is a 3 letter code stamped on the housing which gives you this information. This one in the picture, on my car now is JLP.

Once I have the diffs here I will work on making a front diff lock, there aren't any made for them now and not much interest from the existing manufacturers so not an easy job but interesting work. We will see if it can be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_113649.jpg
    IMG_20200328_113649.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Great info!
And yesterday I was thinking the whole diffs and low range probably get activated in one specific order and that it would probably be possible to activate at least the rear diff seperately. Either with CAN or just relays. You will be doing that.
I think for me air suspension with rear diff lock would be great, on a 957 with the 3.6 v6 would be great already. I have gotten everywhere with 75 horsepower and low-range before, so I would rather choose the more simple/cheaper option with less parts to break. That also means that you will get smaller brakes, so able to fit smaller rims, although I am not sure if that really is a benefit.
And then add a tow hitch wheel carrier, even though it will probably not survive the endless washboarding / corrugated roads I have seen in Asia, it will not see that kind of roads that much anyway.

Great info about the rear locker, I was afraid of the LEDs always being there, regardless. And sellers probably don't know either.

About the front diff. Since it shares components with the Audi/VWs, isnt it possible to find a limited slip diff (torsen?) from those brands? Obviously some people will have already checked that.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94