where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

dreadlocks

What kinda adventures are you planning for? I've been unlocked and conquered some of Colorado's roughest trails w/base model Wrangler, its a manual so low range was a must use but I could go out with Auto wranglers who would do same trails w/out ever locking center diff, let alone low range.. I would see fully built jeeps just lock up and climb over obstacles in seconds that would take me quite a bit of planning and persistence to conquer, but it just made me a better driver who picks better lines.

but with my Audi I'm more long distance hauling/exploring, I'm not looking for high risk situations >3k miles from my home.. just stuff like the 5h, 60m drive out to Sublime Point in Grand Canyon.. got out to where most street vehicles cant, very easily.. but largely because of the clearance and tires.. If I take it to Moab or something it'll be pulling another vehicle(s) thats made for that, but sucks on everything else.. Rock Crawling and stuff is off the table, but gravel mountain passes, forestry roads, mild trails with nothing terribly technical are abundant out western US. Originally I was set on a T-Reg w/Low Range & Rear Locker, but decided I needed the extra length for taking our dogs with us, and air suspension for towing.. and honestly I've never regretted it, cant say I'd of ever needed any of it in the last 4 years of exploring with it.. All Terrains, Air Suspension and AWD will get me everywhere I wanna go... but a rear locker would be nice to have, no doubt.. just for the confidence boost, its not like it weighs alot or takes up any precious cargo room.

Unlike AWD in most cars/crossovers the Touareg/Q7/Cayenne all got a basic truck style drivetrain, with transfer case, and external front driveshaft.. this allowed em to use nice robust truck transmissions also, so regardless what features you get diff/tc wise its a very robust and solid drivetrain that can take offroading abuses with stride.. heck my Q7 TDI has special baffles in the oil pan so it wont starve at extreme inclinations.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Well since I am in Europe it is generally a lot of highway to a more interesting destination and then take a few interesting mountain trails, of which some will require low gearing, but not a rear difflock. Although it is always nice and doesn't take up much space.
Same goes for a longer trip to Georgia (not the one in the US) and Armenia corner
However, if it is the luxury capable 4x4 that I want it to be, I will one day take it to the sand dunes in Morocco and possibly even further. Then a difflock would be nice. Then again, I have some experience in sand driving by now and had to make do without difflocks, except for center.

So there is never a real need for it, however if I see one offered with the whole offroad package including rear diff, it is a huge bonus.
And just like you say, you will feel even more confident in taking on a trial.

dreadlocks

Since your in Europe it should be significantly easier to source the parts for a conversion if you find the ideal vehicle and its not got the locker.. just about everything I'd need I'd have to import to US, same for the Aussies.. they were super unicorns in most of the world.. If you can twist wrenches you could do it for alot less than it costs to put aftermarket rear diff locks into most vehicles..

$5k+ USD to buy the Diff I need from a US Parts company new, or 600 Euro + Shipping for a used one.. finding one used here would be like winning the lotto.

Hi All just discovered this page via Otis. We test and now start selling Cayenne prepared for overland driving.. this car here currently hold the world record in nonstop driving from Nordkap to South Africa in less than 9 days..

There are many good things with Cayennes.

E1 is the way for real off road
E2 is an OK compromise, but aim for V8 with Porsche center diff
E3 avoid- made for hair dressers

soon we open a page with parts and cars for sale.

Jan

DJI_0339_1666.jpg

brandonelliott

Who wants to talk tires? 54 pages of replies, I'm sure there's some gold in there I missed...

Driving a 2014 Cayenne Diesel, steel suspension. Adding a 2" lift as well as spacers that will give me about 20mm extra clearance over stock along with 20mm fender extension to keep the look flush.

How big can I go on tires with 18" wheels? Thinking 265/65/18, I know that's what Joey Seely is running, he hasn't said much about rubbing.

I spoke with Jan and he said he's running 265/65/18 (I think K02) and needed a little cutting to fit.

What tires have you run that are oversize? How big were they? What make/model? And did the fender liners need to be cut?

dreadlocks

You can go to like 31.5in OD, you go past that and you start rubbing on the intercooler vents in the wheel liner.. thats with stock suspension.

my next set of tires likely to be 245/75/17

brandonelliott

Awesome info, dreadlocks. Ideally, looking at that tire OD and maybe nominal width is the real answer. I think I'm going to look at something like 31" tall to be safe with my 2" lift.

dreadlocks

265/65/18's are fine IIRC, espically if your gonna use spacers.. here, plug the biggest OEM wheels they made into this, the big honking 21s more than likely.. then find the specs for OEM 18's, wrap em in your rubber and see where they land.. Also if your keen on spacers, do a proper alignment afterwards since they will throw off the geometry.

Here's the OEM 20s on the Audi compared with the 31.5s im looking at putting on my 17s:
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 10.20.18 AM.png

I'm working on measuring this up this weekend. IMO tyres are the single best upgrade you can do, on or off road.

The taller the better and always a mud terrain for me.

Some guys are fitting 33/12.5/(17/18) with a small amount of modification and no lift, I have had a quick look at my car and I think it will be difficult to fit them. It is possible that the wheel arches are different between cars but I don't know. On the LHF I have the plumbing for the 4 zone climate control and on the RHF I have the PDCC valve body. Plus on both sides the intercoolers top front.

I'm ok with moving the intercoolers but not the air-conditioning plumbing or the PDCC, maybe tidy it up a bit but that's all I'm prepared to do. I don't see the front of the wheel arch as a problem but the back sides I can remove some seams tidy up some wiring, maybe reduce some spacers and gain a bit over 1/2".

I hope I can reuse the full lining with some modifications and refixing.

I don't like wheel spacers, you should check the fixings and wheel nuts regularly, they have a tendency to come loose. So I found a guy who imports blank wheels and machines them to suit so shouldn't need to use them...... hopefully.

If the tyre ends up sticking out I was looking at these - https://ezflares.com/product/ezflares-classic/

Lovetheworld

Are you sure about Mud terrains?
I am sure they have improved but I ditched the old BFG Muds I had since I was able to have some wheel spin with 75hp on wet tarmac, I don't wanna know how it will handle emergency brakes.

I always find it interesting when you see high power cars (like your turbo) with off road tires. It is always a compromise.

dreadlocks

I'm running KO2's this time, I'm happy and satisfied with em.. but next time I think I'mna give Duratrac's a try, they are lighter so even tho I'll be stepping up from a 30in to a 31.5in wheel size the'll be several pounds of rotating mass shaved off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online