where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

marcantoine77

Observer
rear mudflap
9afbe85d4e4ce962c7e076eeca9a29f2.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As a contrast to Marcantoine77's snow, I'm just returned from a drier- and warmer-than-normal Prescott, Arizona, where I ran some backcountry stuff in my Gen 2 Cayenne.

P1020617.JPG

It did fine off pavement and, as usual, did a stellar job on pavement during the 2500 miles of highway travel required for the transit to and from home.

I have a few things to share, none of which is rocket science, but the information might help some. First, I found it really handy to remove the second row outside headrests (I'd removed the middle one early on). Having them out kept the front seatbacks from fouling on them when the second row seatbacks are dropped. But the other, probably bigger, feature is that with headrests gone, the second row footwells become a much better and more accessible storage area. (These headrests don't pull out easily. There's a diagram showing how to do it on the internet.)

Some 958 owners might have missed that they have a not-readily-visible 12V power port tucked way to the front of the front console-side passenger footwell. Because a cable from it to the dash won't have to cross across controls as they do from the console power ports, it's a great spot to get the power needed for a dashtop mounted GPS tablet.

I had occasion to want to spend a night camped inside the truck. Rather than go with a cot, I thought I might be able to figure out how to make a decent sleeping platform that was both easy to install and remove. Because the second-row seatbacks don't fold flat, the key was finding a way to make a platform level from front to back. It turned out to be easy for me, as one of the $29 Rigid 22 inch Pro Organizer tool cases I use for recovery gear was exactly the right height to level things out.

P1020619.JPG

I used a piece of 1/2 inch Baltic birch plywood for the platform. I started with a 30 x 60 inch sheet (often on sale at Rockler stores) and cut 5" off the side to match the width of my sleeping pad. However, as you can see from the photo, you could go up to about 28-29 inches and still fit with the passenger-side seat up.

I'm not exactly tall, but still more than 60 inches. There's room for nearly six feet of length with the front seat back. But the exact maximum length will depend on the driving position, including seat recline. Obviously, moving the driver's seat forward would allow for a lengthy platform, but then the platform would need to be hinged or consist of two pieces that lock together so that it could fit when there's a driver. Alternately, if you didn't have a passenger and could fold both seatbacks at night, a very long platform could go on the passenger side instead.

In my case, though, the quick, dirty, and cheap solution was just to find another case I was carrying--in this case a Gall's tactical case used for my clothes--of about the right height to hold up the last foot of the inflatable pad. Since all it has to do is support your feet and calves, it doesn't have to be anything particularly sturdy.

P1020620.JPG

I should also probably make reference to the somewhat zany quilted mats covering all of the cargo area:

P1020613.JPG

It's a custom-fitted mat set available through Amazon that fastens to the carpet on the sides and seatbacks with hook and loop fasteners. It does a nice job of protecting the cargo area from the cases and other hard/pointy stuff carried back there. I'm pretty fond of the set and wrote a detailed review of them that's posted on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Worth-Mats-Coverage-Waterproof-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B0797WB63B.

dr_r2r

Observer
Way to go Mike. I used to sleep in my Cayenne more often than the hospital dorm when I'm on duty. I would park beside the ER and the nurses would just knock on my window if needed or they can just page me. I've tried everything from a cot to an airbed and had no problems sleeping in it.

Scramblin_Jim

Mike, I just gave up my 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and now drive a 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. I used the Jeep for over-landing the past 8 years with a couple Jeep clubs but have lost interest. I still want to get out but more on forest roads in Arizona where I live.

I was planning on getting a second set of rims in 18" and put some BFG KM2 AT's tires on to give me a little more confidence that I won't loose a tire or rim off roading. There is no place for a full size spare tire so the beefier tires shall have to do. Is this a good idea?

My vehicle does not have the factory roof rails which I have mixed feelings about loosing the ability to add a roof rack for storage that I had on my Rubicon. Is there a way to add roof rails like the factory one?

Oh by the way, I graduated from Prescott High School in 1969 and live in the Phoenix area. Look forward to maybe meeting ya on the trails.

Jim

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi, Jim; nice to see you on the Portal. Funny that we both are in Cayennes after Rubicons. I think the Wranglers are great on the trail but, boy, do you pay for the privilege when you are on pavement. A Cayenne gives up some capability on the toughest of trails (mostly due to tire size limits) but you will surely enjoy the trip to the trails more.

It's not like there are thousands of us doing anything serious off-pavement with Gen II Cayennes, so there's not a "right" way to do things. Opinions about the spare vary dramatically, and some would never go one a trail without a full-sized spare, either strapped on edge into the back (using up a lot of space) or on the roof (making it tough to add a lot of other stuff). In my case, though, I've decided that I'll risk the consequences most of the time. I have with me the expanding spare with compressor, and I put that wheel on and drove around enough to learn that the difference in tire diameter from my 31s didn't upset the computers enough to keep me from driving. Needing to use that spare would mean my off-roading was done, but I feel could almost always find a way to limp back to civilization. But I also have the overpriced can of official Porsche tire sealant AND a comprehensive Safety Seal tire patching kit with a Power Tank for re-inflation.

Between these, I feel okay about my chances, especially since I carry the InReach satellite communicator that could be used to fetch help if the tire problem was too serious for me to deal with. Would I like to have a full sized spare? Sure, and if I were doing serious "wheeling" in the middle of nowhere I'd give up the space to make it happen. But I'm just overlanding and it is rare that I feel like I can't manage without it.

You can add roof rails post-factory to a Gen 1 but apparently not to a Gen 2 and forward. The only idea I ever heard as a workaround is to fit the Thule Traverse Fit Kit 1632 to get the anchor points and I can't vouch for whether or not it will work. If you have a knowledgeable Thule store around, you might want to check with them. Getting a roof rack attached is a useful goal. You can fit the items you need into the cargo area, but then you've used that space up, less space for all the other stuff you'd like to carry. I haven't found any big downside to putting reasonable stuff on a Cayenne roof, so it's worth investigating.

Good luck. Keep us informed about your travels.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I use Thule cross bars and they seem very strong. As for a full sized spare I use a Wilco Off Road Solo hitch mounted tire carrier. You can also increase your storage by flipping your spare over . I know I wrote a post about that.

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_122536228_HDR.jpg1.jpg
    IMG_20180203_122536228_HDR.jpg1.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 58

Scramblin_Jim

I use Thule cross bars and they seem very strong. As for a full sized spare I use a Wilco Off Road Solo hitch mounted tire carrier. You can also increase your storage by flipping your spare over . I know I wrote a post about that.
I see from your photo that you are using the "clamp-on" type of rail system. As I understand, these are rated at about 1/2 the carrying capacity of the factory installed rails. What kinds of loads and how rough of terrain are you going over to give a strong recommendation on this type of rack system?

The Wilco Off Road Solo hitch looks like a nice solution. Have you experience any vibration, rattling, or jiggling of the mount while off road especially over rutted roads? Have you used the hitch with the tire mount installed for pulling anything? Looking for usage problems under harsh operating conditions.

That tip on flipping over the spare tire is a great one! Thanks for sharing that!!!

Scramblin_Jim

To All,
I've been given the impression by my local Porsche dealership that installation of the roof rails can't be done as a dealership installed option. It must be ordered from the factory. What causes the dealership not to be able to install it?

Does Porsche put on a different roof structure at the factory when rails are added verses when rails are not part of the cars structure? I noticed that Gen 1 Cayenne's have a trough where the rails have imbedded mounting hardware to support adding the rails. Seems to have disappeared on the later generations.

Any thoughts on this?
Jim

dreadlocks

any love in this thread for your cousin with 4 rings? I am wearing 17in Cayenne wheels if that helps (BFG KO2)

ar4s6Mj.jpg

MMwv52O.jpg

img_20180428_085610-jpg.446233

2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige w/Air Suspension w/2017 Intech Discover Flyer (Cricket was just a rental).

Next up I plan on getting a Front Runner low pro roof basket to mount full size spare, light bar and UHF antenna.. also a tune and DPF/SCR delete is imminent.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If you don't have the factory roofrail mounts then you are stuck with something like a Thule. I have had a RTT on my Thule bars without any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles