where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

jluck

Adventurer
why aren't there any Porsche cayenne builds? I know there no g500 but for 10K less money on average I am really considering one for a base rig to build. there seems to some nice stock attributes for a expo rig.

opinions?
:bowdown:

haven

Expedition Leader
Porsche makes a few items that increase the Cayenne's capability on gravel or dirt roads. There's an air suspension that can increase ground clearance, and, until 2011, a two speed transfer case was optional. Starting in 2011, an 8 speed automatic trans was introduced. This provided a low enough first gear, so the 2 speed transfer case was changed to a one speed model. Electronic traction control aids substitute for locking differentials.

Porsche does offer a service that prepares the Cayenne for rally racing. The interior is stripped, plastic replaces glass in most windows, a roll cage is added, and fuel cells substitute for the gas tank.

jluck

Adventurer
two speed T-case optional? I thought they were standard on pre 11's.(damn) but I am having a heck of a time getting concise info on options and packages.I would like to find a non turbo with rear locker and hydro disconnecting anti-sway bar, but it's looking impossible. If I stepped up to the turbo I will be in g500 type money and will go that way.(maybe the wife would drive a cayenne):wings:

jluck

Adventurer
no more love for this topic? am I a loonatic? I really am liking this idea for a expo rig.:yikes::confused:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I looked into this idea pretty extensively, and for all the good points--the same ones you're undoubtedly impressed by--there were two "bridge too far" level problems that made me give up. The first was the total lack of aftermarket support for the truck. Winch bumper, rock sliders, tire carrier, etc. . . . . Every time I turn around, Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts is sending me a two-hundred page catalog of stuff people make for my Jeep. The Cayenne catalog wouldn't need an index card.

The second problem is that if you broke anything mechanical, it would cost zillions to fix. Actually, it already costs zillions to fix something like a newer Land Cruiser. A Cayenne might require mega-zillions. Fixing air suspension problems might be $5K easy. Same with body panels. But, of course, same for a G500.

That said, though, if you were principally just going off-pavement (as opposed to wheeling), and the chance of damage were low. I'd support the Cayenne as a viable option.

jluck

Adventurer
thanks for the reply mhiscox,
I have thought about those cons too.I'm that guy who tries to do everything different. (go against the grain) I also am a decent fabricator and will do my own bumpers and protection. and the cost of repair...yea that just sucks but with any of the rigs I'm looking at thats just a price I will have to pay.I just really want something really comfy and its time to have some quality in my life.

during your research.....
Did you determine if Porsche uses a real 100% locking rear diff with the "Advanced Off road Technology" package?
and
Do all pre- 2011's have the two speed transfer case?
thanks again.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
No question that the Cayenne is going to be more satisfying for a competent fabricator (you) than a bolt-on guy (me). If you have the skills to put together your own package, there's no limit to what the Cayenne can do . . .

From AutoBlog:

Last year, a pair of series-built Porsche Cayennes that were further modified by the customers who purchased them drove to victory in the 10,000km-long Transsyberia Rally. Spurred on by the success shown by those two cars, Porsche has built a small production run of at least twenty-six 2007 Cayenne S Transsyberia SUVs, all of which will compete in the 2007 rally. The full range of Porsche's techno-enhancements are in place, including Porsche Traction Management (PTM), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDDC), and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). The PTM system is further enhanced by a transverse lock from the optional Offroad Technology Package available to regular customers, and the PDCC system is already set up with a Special Offroad Mode, which, when active, lets the Cayenne ford bodies of water up to 30" deep. A roof-mounted snorkel keeps that water from invading the intake manifold.

Transyberia.jpg

But as to your questions . . . (WARNING: Not an expert :( )

As I understand it, the Advanced Offroad Technology Package with the rear differential lock was optional on all of the models: S, Turbo and plain (V6) Cayenne. The stock setup allowed only for center diff locking. However, I've looked at a dozen or so S and Turbo Cayennes and have yet to see one with the Advanced Off-Road Package (identifable by sill protectors and skidplates) and I think the option is very rare. A Autotrader.com search of all the Cayennes in the country failed to find one using "Off Road Technology" as a search term. And that's the only way to get the disconnecting sway bars. And, what's more, I think the newer generation (2008-2010) ORT Package doesn't have the swaybar disconnect.

I believe the 2-speed transfer case was the stock setup through 2010, when it went away, even as an option. Given the costs involved, most of my looking was at the 2004-2006, but I think I'm right on that.

It appears to me like Turbo/non-turbo doesn't enter into the ORT Package. It does, however, affect the adjustable air suspension issue, since all Turbos have it as standard while a much smaller proportion of Ss, and almost no V-6s, were optioned with it. (The GTS model, slotted between the S and the Turbo, has it more frequently, but as they're newer, they're also pretty pricey.)

My goal was to find an S with adjustable air, rook rack and tow package, and they were available, whereas an ORT Package model is real hard to find. And Desert Dan is right; you can look at a 2004-06 VW Touareg as well, since the Touareg V-8 is only very slightly different from the Cayenne S, and some of them came with adjustable air.

One last helpful hint: According to jmarkoa, a Cayenne owner with the ORT Package (and a factory rear spare tire carrier; uber-rare) who posted on 6speedonline.com, the sure way to tell an ORT Package-equipped 04-06 Cayenne is to look for this center console switch arrangement with the swaybar disconnect indicator:

OffRoadTechPackageidentificationphoto.jpg

Good luck heading down this road.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
There's the Porsche Cayenne Transsyberia model. Definitely expedition capable. Porsche had one (of the follow-on builds to the original 26 rally vehicles IIRC) on their stand at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show. Cool model. I think there's probably YouTube video of the rally. I believe they also introduced a street version of the Cayenne Transsyberia a few years ago.

Don

http://automen.blogspot.com/2007/04/porsche-cayenne-s-transsyberia.html
Porsche_Cayenne_S_Transsyberia_7.jpg

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
Photo finish, Mike, but you pulled ahead at the wire...

I took photos of the car at IAA 2007, but the camera was *not* happy with the low light. The photos are awful. Here's a hint of that rear tire carrier you mentioned.

1186342693_7scj6-M.jpg

Last edited:

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
Since the Touareg is a cousin to the Cayenne it too suffers from a lack of aftermarket products for off-road use. It's darn hard enough just to find a decent skid plate. There have been some attempts but it was all custom stuff.
Still, it takes me on 99% of the trails I'm interested in, and that's all that matters.

jluck

Adventurer
Thanks much guys. There's a lot of good info. The only way I will get a toureg is if I can find a diesel in my price range.and maybe there's a option of production offerings of aftermarket goodies for this family of rigs.....hmmmm.....

bobDog

Expedition Leader
You want to turn a pork chop into an expedition truck????? I mean really? Are you kidding me.....a rich mans wife's DD modded to a really useful offroader........sure drive that baby down to a few 3rd world countries........ Too much time and too much money.
For God sakes man this what rich folks buy in case it snows and the butler can't make it in to the grocery store for breakfast pastry. Gag me!

:coffeedrink:

jluck

Adventurer
You want to turn a pork chop into an expedition truck????? I mean really? Are you kidding me.....a rich mans wife's DD modded to a really useful offroader........sure drive that baby down to a few 3rd world countries........ Too much time and too much money.
For God sakes man this what rich folks buy in case it snows and the butler can't make it in to the grocery store for breakfast pastry. Gag me!:sombrero:

I do apologize, I forget there's only one propper way to think. I like rigs that narrow minded asses don't.
Cheers

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
For God sakes man this what rich folks buy in case it snows and the butler can't make it in to the grocery store for breakfast pastry. Gag me!

I think you could say the same thing about a Land Cruiser -- certainly the Lexus versions. Your insults are directed toward a group of people, not a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles