Modifying E150 suspension- 2-3" lift?

bald.eagle

Observer
I have a 1994 Mark III E150 conversion, 2WD with all the typical conversion van goodies, minus the high top. I want to rough it up a bit, basically make it fire-road worthy. I'm planning to ditch the running boards (obviously) and stuff some bigger tires underneath, but first I want to gain some ground clearance.

I feel like my van sits pretty low compared to the stock E350's I see on the road, would coil springs and leafs from an E350 be a direct swap for a couple inches of lift? If not, can anyone suggest the best budget route to get a couple inches of suspension lift?

Also, what is the typical "max" tire size for a van with 1-3" of lift? It looks like 31's would fit no problem, I'm not sure if I'd want to go bigger than 31" anyways with stock gearing.

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty familiar to modifying vehicles, I used to have a lifted 94 4WD Explorer, and had a beefed up 01 2WD Ranger Edge for a while also. Having kids put a halt to spending recreational money on my vehicles, but now we need a big vehicle to take them camping in- perfect excuse to mod the van! :sombrero:

97discosd

Adventurer
There's many lift kit mfgs camburg comes to mind. I have seen 33's on 2wd en series. Idk what's the max tire size though

Blackout

Hello,

I have a 1996 E150 that I purchased with a 4" lift. The guy I bought it from said he used the E250 suspension and it has a 4” lift… It looks like he put something “spacers” between the body and coil springs; I guess it's a body lift. I was just curios if you ever got yours lifted and if so what shocks did you use? It currently has Bilstein shocks for an e350 motorhome! I'm relapsing them because one already snapped and I found out it was because the shocks are waay to stiff for my ride. I measured from the center of the bottom eye to the top of shock where the bottom bushing goes and its measured 16.5”. Any recommendations for new shocks?

Thanks! Sean

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I have a 1996 E150 that I purchased with a 4" lift. The guy I bought it from said he used the E250 suspension and it has a 4” lift… It looks like he put something “spacers” between the body and coil springs; I guess it's a body lift.

Not a body lift, but a coil spring spacer lift.

Any recommendations for new shocks?

Call Chris at UJoint Offroad. He is the resident expert on E-series vans and should be able to hook you up, or point you in the right direction. Nice van BTW! Start saving for the 4wd conversion now, because if you hang out here long enough, you will want one.

Also, I am willing to bet that the shock broke because it is the wrong length for your lifted application.

Last edited:

CodyY

Explorer
Not a body lift, but a coil spring spacer lift.

Call Chris at UJoint Offroad. He is the resident expert on E-series vans and should be able to hook you up, or point you in the right direction. Nice van BTW! Start saving for the 4wd conversion now, because if you hang out here long enough, you will want one.

Also, I am willing to bet that the shock broke because it is the wrong length for your lifted application.

Yup/yup. Bilstien HDs are fine, 5100's great too. You just need a jack to figure the shock travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94