Forest Service Road Adventure Mobile

bigskypylot

Explorer
Oh its an issue lol. When you stay in your camper for weeks at a time in the winter with temperatures down to -30 C often, plus the in & out in snow conditions you bring in lots of moisture. I give up on keeping water stains off of the pop up from condensation. Having said that I do wipe it down with a a chamois if I see it starting to "bead". The floor is easy to deal with because its Rhino lined and again I wipe down the flour. Honestly the condensation issue is over rated in my opinion, these are small spaces so its pretty easy to wipe it down a few times a day and ring out the chamois. When I get back home I put an electric heater in the camper with the top up and crank the heat with the vents open and it usually dries out in 24 hours. Far as temperature wise the only issue I have had is a week of about 0 during the day and rained at one point then it went to -5 C in the evenings so it was wet! and lots of snow. In one day it wen't really cold and dropped down to about -30 C. I dropped the top before I left in AM knowing I was moving camp when I got out of the bush. Top was very hard to get back up due to the fabric was frozen Ended up having to fire up the furnace and warm it up for an hour to get the top up. So far as winter temps that was the only issue besides condensation.

Nice. I know even in my RTT if I ventilate it a bit, it'll still get that way and then freeze lol. I'll zip my annex on and run a Mr Heater and it seems to regulate it much better. I'd like to run a stove jack out the side of the annex with a Titanium wood stove running to keep it warm and dry. I really like the demonstrator flatbed that Phoenix has. I'd like something like that or a hard sided Turtle type rig. Earthroamer would be nice but that is a bit much lol

Runt

Adventurer
Nice. I know even in my RTT if I ventilate it a bit, it'll still get that way and then freeze lol. I'll zip my annex on and run a Mr Heater and it seems to regulate it much better. I'd like to run a stove jack out the side of the annex with a Titanium wood stove running to keep it warm and dry. I really like the demonstrator flatbed that Phoenix has. I'd like something like that or a hard sided Turtle type rig. Earthroamer would be nice but that is a bit much lol

Oh I totally agree! Those titanium stoves are sweet. However I have found for 10 days a 30 lb propane tank is more then enough for my camper. Just have to be mindfull of the condensation issue when dropping the top in cold weather. Make sure I allow 20 mins or so of furnace cranked with top down and up it goes no problems.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Oh I totally agree! Those titanium stoves are sweet. However I have found for 10 days a 30 lb propane tank is more then enough for my camper. Just have to be mindfull of the condensation issue when dropping the top in cold weather. Make sure I allow 20 mins or so of furnace cranked with top down and up it goes no problems.

Nice! I suppose you could run a dehumidifier inside if space wasn't an issue? I just hate the thought of any mildew or mold developing in the long term. Like you mentioned, wipe everything down and dry it out with furnace etc and you're good to go. So, on a minus thirty to forty night, what temps can you realistically expect? I really like the custom build as opposed to FWC's cookie cutter builds

Runt

Adventurer
Inside the camper the 2000 btu furnace keeps the camper between 15 to 22 C according to the thermostat. That camper on the Ford F350 is nice to look at. Very complex though....lots to shake apart on rough roads. Mind ya Rob builds stuff really well so might be fine. I do like the flat bed idea though. I could not do a flat deck due to the weight and wanting to stay with the reliability of a Toyota. CBI Offroad is the best! Cant say enough good about CBI and Phoenix Campers.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I put our house dehumidifier in our Lifetime tent during clean up to dry it out. Takes about 40 minutes to dry it out. As a check you can set a jar lid with water in it. The dehumidifier will dry the jar lid bone dry in 40min.

Runt

Adventurer
Still have the Tundra and camper but found the need for a faster FSR Adventure Mobile for tougher and tighter trails. Also wanted a base camp over sleeping under the Soft Topper so Turtle Back Trailer added.19VgcR2-1.jpgjffYctW.jpg Built a sleeping platform in the back and store all my gear in wheeled plastic bins. I barely fit diagonally.

2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road SB
ARB bumpers front & rear + sliders
Warren winch & synthetic line
Icon suspension, ARB Dakar "Heavy" leafs, Timbren Bumps
Method Race Wheels
General Grabber MT's 33's x 5
4:88 gears
RCI full alum. skids
Icom dual band vhf, Cobra CB, cell booster, sat. phn, Inreach & dash mounted tablet
Light Force & PIAA lights
Cali raised switches, ditch light mounts & antenna mounts
Softtopper
Custom sleeping/storage platform
ARB fridge
Hondo Garage tablet & phone mounts
Weathertec mats and Clazzio seat covers
Breather mods done
Turtleback trailer & CVT Rainier

Future Mods:

2.8 L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Long Ranger Fuel Tank