Toughest truck camper??

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's a fantastic recommendation !
It's also very economical, relative to the other choices mentioned.
Another thing, and Haven has mentioned it, there are a lot of fiberglass trailers still in use even after several decades, so that must say something. Here's some good reference :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9218-fiberglass-travel-trailer-as-expedition-cabin

If you were willing to do a cabover, you're not concerned about having it flush with the cab, right? Why not a short trailer on the bed, like Carl Hunter did with a Bigfoot?

Carl Hunter's Bigfoot

bat

Explorer
I have friends with 4WC, Palomino, Sunlight with many many miles in Baja. I would bet most people could get by with any number of campers and last for a very long time.

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam
I kind of didn't want to reply to this thread.

Just find it hard to see posts that say a certain camper is "the toughest" out there.

Especially with a new design that has only been out there for a few years and only have a handful of campers running around out there.

Doesn't seem like a time tested camper yet.

Yes, Stan you are right, 3 years, 60k miles of testing and only a few running out there is not a time tested camper. However, the construction methods used are very time tested.
The transportation industry in Europe has used this construction method for quite a while (http://www.xpcamper.com/diab.pdf) , so does the boating and aerospace industry.
http://www.diabgroup.com/Solutions_Archive/Performance_Solutions_2_2010.pdf
What I did do was to incorporate well known products, mostly from the marine industry, into a camper shell built like a high end yacht. The XP doesn’t float however, due to some access hatches below the water line. It doesn’t have any seams though, making it virtually leak proof.
It took 7 years to come up with all these new high tech systems to incorporate them into a camper. Sure, it was a challenge to get diesel appliances installed in a removable camper, but working closely with Webasto we were able to figure it out.
The hydraulic system, hardly a new idea of lifting stuff, is time tested. We made the cylinders out of aluminum and added a remote control so you can lift the roof with your thumb. There are also no locks or catches to release. Simply push the button. You also can pump the top up by hand in case of electrical failure.
By bonding all interior parts to the shell it basically gives you a superstructure. Lightweight, no mechanical fasteners to fail and in case of busted water hose no harm done as the water couldn’t do any damage. I also use only marine wiring and waterproof connections, so in case you do get some water in the cabin due to a river crossing, you could still use the camper. There is even a plug in the shell to release the water!
About the Tough Part.
I hit a tree pretty hard a few years ago and only scratched the cabin. Had this happened with my previous pop up camper, I would have had a hole in the side for sure.
Then there is the hammer test. I have had people hit a sample piece with a hammer, and the most we got was a dent.
So yes, the shell and its construction methods are very tough!
Hopefully this gives you an insight of how the XP is built.
Regards
Marc

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam

I know they are awesome, I do like them, i'm sure they are really well built, and I'm a fan and have been following their posts.

Not trying to bash. I would actually promote them because they do build a really nice camper !

Cheers
Marc

I assume you were talking about the XP?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You are touching a sensitive subject...as we are becoming a small family. I know Tom/Stan, Marc/Mark and the folks at Coyote RV personally and they all build awesome campers.

I am actually writing this seating inside my Bigfoot camper. We have been living in it every time we are in Tahoe, with temperature routinely around 10F at night.

I selected a Bigfoot for a few simple reason - I needed something with good insulation to live full time as we are restoring our house. I also found a package that was too cheap to pass on...

Of course this is way too big to take across Africa, but I must say that the construction quality is way beyond what I expected, and way beyond your typical mass market rv/trailer.

Chris Scott took it to some nasty roads and beside a bit of dust around the rear door, there was no damage.

P1000971.jpg

P1000883.jpg

P1000882.jpg

boblynch

Adventurer
If you're planning on a Mog then a cabover truck camper probably isn't an option due to the overall height. If going with a non-cabover I think Charlie's right (Alaskan, GXV, etc.) are good options. My advice would be focus on what meets your other requirements and learn how your systems work regardless. Even if the shell's bulletproof many of the things that can derail the trip are small stuff (loose wires, pinched water line, engine error codes, etc.). Bring tools and supplies and hit the road. Things break and stuff happens. Good luck with your design choices and keep us posted.

Byrdseye

Observer
If you're looking for something that can be purchased used and relatively inexpensively, I second the Bigfoot.
I used and abused mine and spent 200 days in it one year. It was by far the best mass produced camper I've owned. However, I'm hoping to put an XP from Marc on my new rig.......:ylsmoke:

RedRocker

Adventurer
I liked my Foot, but some of the parts they used that seem to be the industry standard
were pretty much junk. I'm speaking specifically of the drawer slide sockets, I think every
drawer socket broke the one time I went down a bumpy dirt road. I ended up building my
own after not being able to find anything but cheap plastic parts. Otherwise, they make
a pretty stout camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior