Gas powered 12Volt charger

HINO SG

Adventurer
peekay said:
as someone already mentioned, why not just get a 1000w or 2000w Honda with a battery charger ac to dc? Those Hondas will run forever, plus, you have the versatility of 110 vlt.

well, arn't the small Honda generators actually 12v run through an inverter? That would make running a battery charger off of one a little redundant. I've wondered about rewiring a Honda 1000 or 2000 without the inverter, theoreticaly should be 50+ or 100+ amps of DC.
Anybody know if that should work?

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Tucson T4R said:
I have a bank of four AGM batteries in my trailer. I'd be concerned with throwing too many amps at them during the charge. Right now I use a Honda EU2000 generator that runs a built in smart charger in my trailer that is designed to charge AGM batteries. Seems to work fine for me.

And yes, I know a 2000 watt generator sounds like overkill....believe it or not, that was to be sure my other half can run her blow dryer!:shakin:

I am considering the Honda EU2000i genset to charge a pair of 6V AGMs in my trailer, which will run an inverter, fridge, lights. The Honda can be bought for abot $1200 USD, and is fairly quiet.

Starting from stratch, would you buy the same again? Which smart charger are you using?

M

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
3IMOH said:
Folks,

I purchased one of the yk-50 gas battery chargers from "batteries are us".

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....oducts_id=6730

It was non-functioning when I received it. One of the cable posts was broken, and the led screen displayed gibberish when running. I called the seller to see about getting another unit, and he was incredibly rude. He did send me a new cable post, and he said he would order another display panel. Said it would take a couple of weeks to get in. It has been 2 months now and I have not seen (or heard) anything from him. I just called today to see what the status was on it, and he ended up hanging up on me! I am not very confident I will ever see this thing work. Unbelievable.

I don't really know what to do...does anyone have any suggestions? He has refused to take this unit back, so I think I am probably out $300.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone else was thinking of doing business with them...

-Howie

If you bought using a credit card, contact your CC company and cancel the transaction. The prick will be docked for the purchase price.

M

HINO SG

Adventurer
Anyone? I havn't had time to fina shop manual for the EU series, but what voltage does the actual generator run at? Are the losses minimal enough that running a battery charger off an inverter equipped generator like the Honda too minimal to worry about?

hinoranger said:
well, arn't the small Honda generators actually 12v run through an inverter? That would make running a battery charger off of one a little redundant. I've wondered about rewiring a Honda 1000 or 2000 without the inverter, theoreticaly should be 50+ or 100+ amps of DC.

Anybody know if that should work?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Coleman Ultimite (mite with a 'i')

I have a Coleman Ultimite 2-stroke (40cc) generator. I don't know if you can still get them as they are 2-strokes (crime against nature in California)....but:
Pros: Small (16"x16"x16"), light (20lbs) 24 VDCs @45amps, 12 VDC @ 90amps, 110 VAC @ 10amps, cheap (<$200 when Costco was selling them)
Cons: Very noisy! Hard to start (I'm spoiled by Honda generators)

I originally bought this for my 24VDC Unimog (since gone :( ), but with using and being spoiled by the Honda ' quiet series ' generators, the noise of this one is LOUD. Not something you would want to run in camp (unless you have a bunch of 2-stroke motorcycles running around to mask the noise). But great output for the size and weight. Perfect for emergency jump-starting, etc. But the Honda always goes along, and the Ultimite is a garage queen. If I every need 24VDC again, it is a good option.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Mog, interesting. How long ago did you buy yours?
The website only shows 3 larger models.

What's the fuel consumption like?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
hinoranger said:
Mog, interesting. How long ago did you buy yours?
The website only shows 3 larger models.
What's the fuel consumption like?

Quite awhile ago, maybe 6+ years.
No idea on the fuel consumption, I've only run it 15 minutes or so at a time (a plus side of the high output).
An internet search turned up "1.5 hours on a tank"....and I'd guess the tank to be a quart?
I think the Ultimite will find a home on my new trailer build. I'm running 'surplus' Falcon F-50 aircraft batteries (we replace them after 3 years regardless of condition), so they are more then happy to accept 90+ amps (split down to 12VDC from 24VDC) for charging. I will be able to run for days on battery power along, and top 'em up quickly if needed.

Carlyle

Explorer
So my question is, has anyone wired a Honda type generator to produce 12 volt power only and bypass the inverter? What power, in amps would it produce?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've no idea if this is how the Honda's are or not, but newer gensets are no longer tied to rpms in multiples of 60. They synthesize the AC frequency and vary the rpm to suit the load. Later model Dometic gensets are made this way.

If this is the case with the Honda's, wiring around the inverter will require new logic and a new control board.

LXRACR

Observer
Batteries R US.....

Purchased the gas powered charger through their website paid for shipping and everything). It has been 1 month without anything. I have emailed the company times without a single reply, I guess I will be contacting my credit card company! Crappy business!

Carlyle

Explorer
Boy that blows chunks. Was hoping to hear better things, I hope your ccc comes through and reimburses you. I just ordered a Yamaha 1000 in propane for solar augmentation. If I could figure out the above article, maybe I could charge my batteries quicker with it...

LXRACR

Observer
Batteries are us

So, I got stiffed. The company never sent the charger ($375.00) and the guy emails me back, mocking me. I put in a dispute at my credit union but they state I have to wait another 30 days....DO NOT buy from that company, they are thieves.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles