Thinking about a canoe.

schnutzy

Observer
Well ya'll, I am thinking about a canoe.

A little background: currently, I have an Old Town Otter kayak. It is nothing special, but it has been great for the last few years. However I am beginning to out grow it, and would like something with a little more storage, and room for my dog to ride along.

I am not looking for anything extreme, just something for day trips mostly. I am looking for something that is easy enough for one person to handle, but could seat a second if needed. I would love to hear y'alls suggestions about length, etc.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I joined a canoe club 3 years ago and bought a mad river adventure 14'. It tuned out to be heavy and tippy. I sold it. I've tried many different ones since, I really like the Old Town Guide 147 for the price and handling.

BillTex

Adventurer
Had a canoe...bought some kayaks...gave the canoe away...bought some more kayaks...another canoe...sold the canoe...bought more kayaks.

I don't think I'll ever have another canoe.
IMO; An open cockpit tandem kayak can do just about anything a canoe can and is much more stable and easier to handle solo + dog.

Final score;
4 yaks
0 canoes

Bill

schnutzy

Observer
Had a canoe...bought some kayaks...gave the canoe away...bought some more kayaks...another canoe...sold the canoe...bought more kayaks.

I don't think I'll ever have another canoe.
IMO; An open cockpit tandem kayak can do just about anything a canoe can and is much more stable and easier to handle solo + dog.

Final score;
4 yaks
0 canoes

Bill

I have thought about a tandom kayak, but i would like to go to a canoe. I have spent a good bit of time in both over the years, and I just like a canoe better.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I have thought about a tandom kayak, but i would like to go to a canoe. I have spent a good bit of time in both over the years, and I just like a canoe better.

Here's my solution...

100_2522.jpg

A hybrid of both canoe and kayak. sort of a kaynoe...or is it canyak?

Mine is a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 and has proven itself as a versatile boat. It has a tunnel hull so it is very stable, track's well on lakes and has handled class 2 river runs with ease. The seat is the most comfortable one you'll ever find in a boat. For toting around the dog this is available in a 14' version, the Ultimate 14.

schnutzy

Observer
Here's my solution...

100_2522.jpg

A hybrid of both canoe and kayak. sort of a kaynoe...or is it canyak?

Mine is a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 and has proven itself as a versatile boat. It has a tunnel hull so it is very stable, track's well on lakes and has handled class 2 river runs with ease. The seat is the most comfortable one you'll ever find in a boat. For toting around the dog this is available in a 14' version, the Ultimate 14.

price aside, how is getting in and out of it? one of the reasons i was thinking about a canoe is because it is easier for me to get in and out of.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Getting in an out is pretty easy, much better than the kayaks in our family fleet. The tunnel ram gives you foot-wells to step into and makes the boat very stable to enter/exit. I got the Ultimate because I was looking for a single person boat that was easy to paddle could be used for both paddling trips and for waterfowl hunting. I can throw my decoy bag in the rear hatch and downed ducks up in the front opening with ease. I still have our Old Town Discovery 169 for when my boy comes along for a duck hunt. We had a Discovery 147 and it was a great tandem boat but a bit hard to single paddle, but a Discovery 109 or Old Town Pack would make for a great multipurpose single paddler boat.

BillTex

Adventurer
Yeah...the kayak/canoe hybrids are pretty cool... and flexible.
So many options available nowadays!

But don't rule out an open cockpit tandem kayak.
We have a Perception Kyawee 2 (sp?) and a Old Town Loon...they are both easy entry/egress, stable for fishing, and rugged boats.
Downside is weight; they both go ~ 70#...

Have fun...and before you buy any boat...take a good test paddle, and bring the dog.
P1010865.JPG

schnutzy

Observer
OVer the weekend i was able to put around a bit in a 16' Discovery.
While that was a tad large to solo for long periods of time, i really liked how it felt, so i will be looking for something in the 13-14 foot range on CL over the next few months.

the dog even got in on the boating action:
(not me in the boat, i took the picture)
Photo11121517_2.jpg

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I'm also searching to purchase a canoe. Due to injuries etc, I think I'm past a kayak or two kayaks and it's been years since I last paddled. I want to paddle the slow rivers and calm lakes of South Jersey and surrounding areas. My significant other is most concerned about stability. Between the two of us combined weight is 360. Thoughts of taking the 2 dogs as well on occasion, at an additional 80 pounds. Then add in supplies for day trips, no camping trips. Would be a plus if it could on the rare occasion be soloed too. Any suggestions of models to consider or try would really be appreciated.

Wenonah! I was just thinking the same thing! We love our Kingfisher a little bigger than the OP had in mind. I do turn it around and paddle on my knees when I am by myself. Though it usually me the kid the wife, the dog and too much crap...

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I myself have started to think about buying a canoe. My use would be mostly the open calm waters of lakes with the kids, the GF gets a little seasick in boats. I have 3-4 kids that would join me. Growing up we had 2 canoes and would paddle the river in Jan with them. They got sold when my parents moved to FL a few years ago and I had no place to store any of them. It was a shame, could use them now.

Any suggestions on a canoe that would be easy to paddle solo as I am sure the kids wont be much help at first. It would be mostly used for short day trips with 4 people and a small amount of gear. Not worried about weight of canoe as much or ease of transport, kids again can help with loading and moving it on land.

Last edited:

Brock63

Observer
used canoes for years...sold one in college. wanted another but got sit on top kayaks due to stories of stability, shallow draft, and able to do anything a canoe can. I bought another canoe last year...a slighly used Bell Northwind 16.5 in Royalex. I also looked at the Nova Craft Uncle Bob as well...and a couple others. I wanted stability, ease of paddling long distances, good in cross winds but still manueverable for the sometimes tight tidal creeks of Lowcountry. Love my canoe...and going out with wife fishing after Reds and Spots...with a cooler, bait livewell, extra rods, etc.....and then her being able to turn around and lay down on bottom to get some sun while I continue to fish was priceless. I still may get a kayak for those times I dont want to take a canoe out solo and dont plan on any heavy or large loads like deer hunting......but 90% of time I love my canoe.

For your application I would consider following...and yes I am partial to Bell, Nova Craft, and Mad River....though to be fair Old Town is great as well...just not my top choice.

1. Bell Morningstar if you want easily handled solo but still good for tandem for day or afternoon. Very maneuverable canoe....around 15 feet if not mistaken and 58 lbs. (My northwind is heavier and I lift it to my truck and such alone without much problem at all)

2. Nova Craft Bob Special or PAL 16....if looking for compromise for solo and tandem both. I prefer 16 or longer...less effort paddling at speed and better tracking in flat water. For me this equals more enjoyable paddle on water since I will spend 10 minutes loading and hours and hours paddling each trip...so I put more focus on how well it performs with tandem paddling.

3. Mad River Discovery......good compromise once again....if you are ever planning on paddling comfortably tandem then you will love the extra room in the 16' boats up front so your partners or yourself...can stretch legs and not feel cramped.

If I wanted stable, easy to paddle, good tracking on flat water, decent wind profile so it does not push you all over water...then I would look for low profile bow in 16.5-17 foot length. If I wanted solo mostly with ability to carry two sometimes....then 15 foot is about area...maybe 16 if you might need some room for gear occasionally. Like I said, compromises in everything...length and tracking stability...rocker...tumble home all have their influence for different types of paddling. I would highly recommend going to paddling specialty store or event...and try some out on the water even if you have to spend a couple weekends renting different styles, brands and sizes....if you are not comfortable with how true it tracks especially solo or how steady it feels loaded...then you wont enjoy it no matter the name or how light it might be. Like HOT TUBS..you need to wet test them.

I would also go to paddling.net and read their reviews and such they have there...wealth of information. Also I found good info at Austin Canoe and Kayak...Piragis...and I bought mine slightly used from adventure shop in SC named Sunrift adventures...but most paddling shops that offer rentals and guided runs will sell their inventory at end of season...and also sell boats for customers that upgrade sometimes. Good place to look imho....

Good luck...

401683145.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles