Dog Carrier

hdemetrious

Adventurer
I have a yamaha xt225 and I am trying to find a way to take my two dogs with me. I have a 25lbs beagle and a 15lbs poodle. Is it okay to mount a 26" long x 24" wide carrier mounted on the back? Or is a trailer preferable? I dont have much riding experience and I don't know how either system will effect the ride.

Thanks,

Hani

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Dogs have legs - they are designed to run

the beagle will stay with you - till a point

leave the poodle at home- isnt that the wifes dog ?

really for trail riding neither are particularly trail fit

hell I'll be blunt - ride the bike , enjoy

when you get home walk the dog's

Why try and take a kennel on a trail ride ?

zolo

Explorer
Dogs have legs - they are designed to run

the beagle will stay with you - till a point

leave the poodle at home- isnt that the wifes dog ?

really for trail riding neither are particularly trail fit

hell I'll be blunt - ride the bike , enjoy

when you get home walk the dog's

Why try and take a kennel on a trail ride ?

hahahahahhahahah To Funny

hdemetrious

Adventurer
I am using the bike as a dinghy for my camper. So at times I may need to take the dogs with me as opposed to moving the entire camper. How about two carriers, one mounted on each side?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Is it okay to mount a 26" long x 24" wide carrier mounted on the back?

Hey......what could go wrong ? !!!
images

and they've got to look the part !!!

images

Last edited:
I am using the bike as a dinghy for my camper. So at times I may need to take the dogs with me as opposed to moving the entire camper. How about two carriers, one mounted on each side?

Why put them in danger by carrying them on a motorcycle in basically a flimsy carrier that would probably crush on a slow fall? If it didn't crush no doubt it would open and then you would have a frightened possibly injured dog running loose never to be seen again, seems like a bad idea. Then to top it off by your own admission you don't have much riding experience, hell I have been riding for years and no way would I want 40lbs of fidgity dogs on my bike. This is one of those "hey watch this" disaster stories.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
I am using the word "carrier" in the general sense. I have yet to discuss or determine materials that will be used. I am merely trying to ascertain the safest way to transport two dogs with me from people who have experience.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Give the guy a break!

He is talking about a 225 Yamaha not a Ducati!!!!!!

Dogs belong on bikes. Checkout any station (OK ranch for you guys) in Australia and they will have dirt bikes with a few dogs hanging off them. No boxes, no harnesses just jump on and go. Try getting out the gate without them.

But if they are not used to it I recommend something the contains them a bit better than this person.

1939614079_41ed0f4444.jpg

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
He is talking about a 225 Yamaha not a Ducati!!!!!!

Dogs belong on bikes. Checkout any station (OK ranch for you guys) in Australia and they will have dirt bikes with a few dogs hanging off them. No boxes, no harnesses just jump on and go. Try getting out the gate without them.
That is true, but they happen to be athletic, trained and nimble working dogs - kelpies or blue/red heelers (etc.). A beagle and a poodle are not where my first thoughts run when thinking of aptitude on a motorbike.My uncle ran generations of kelpies for his cattle properties, offof utes, quads and bikes. He spent months training each one of them from when they were very young so they knew how to handle the bikes, safely jumping off at (low) speeds, and to build up their balance and experience on unpredictably moving farm bikes.
You'll not see a (responsible) farmer carrying a dog on a motorbike on the road unless he is going from one gate to another at low speed. They go in the back of the ute on a short leash or in the box. But then my uncle also wouldn't travel off-road with them in the box because they bounce around inside too much and can get hurt easily.
An inexperienced rider on a dirt bike with a beagle and poodle - I initially assumed this to be a troll, but if it is real I think it is an irresponsible idea.
Humphrey

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles