Honda XR650L: Lightweight Adventurer

juicebox

Adventurer
This is the ad to my old bike.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=17686570&lpid=&cat=236

I am really wanting to buy it back. He put all those upgrades on it, which are the same I'd do anyway... Scott, are you thinking of putting a big desert tank on it like the one in the ad? I'm pretty sure just about everything that fits the 600r will fit the 650L. xr650r parts won't fit the L, but I'm sure you probably know that.

AFSOC

Explorer
I'd like to see a KLR do this... :bike_rider:

If this what you bought the XR-L for...you chose the wrong tool. They are nice bikes within their scope of capability but not an MX'er, nor are they able to comfortably eat up a lot of daily mileage. Overstating a bike's span of capability ultimately just brings disappointment in an otherwise enjoyable machine.

From the outside looking in, it appears Scott has come to the realization there is no "one size fits all" in motorcycling. There isn't a moto that is a superior performer on technical trails, slabs, with two up comfort, the carrying capacity of a Sherpa and racing image. The ultimate moto solution is multiple bike ownership but even that is less then ultimate because you can't transition between interstate, tight trail and twisties within the same session or multi-day adventure. DS/adventure motos are compromises. The riders who understand that and stay within the capability confines of their Dual Sports are satisfied owners and end up logging lots of happy miles. The owners that assume headlights, turn signals and license plate means RTW capability and that a 21" front wheel and narrow seat means supercross stardom end up with tanks full of gasoline that smells like varnish.

I own a Dual Sport thumper and really enjoy it. I love this sector of motorcycling. To me they are the Swiss Army Knife of motos. The internet is full of KLRs traveling to the Arctic Circle and TDF but I'm not convinced that it is the best choice for those adventures nor am I under any illusion that I am up to that kind of journey myself. I know my bike is no Goldwing/CBR/CR-X, it's just an appliance but that doesn't mean it doesn't cause me ear to ear grins.

NothingClever

Explorer
There isn't a moto that is a superior performer on technical trails, slabs, with two up comfort, the carrying capacity of a Sherpa and racing image.

It's the painter, not the brush. I think the KTM 950 will do all of that under a skilled rider. While it might require a little more work in the tight stuff, it will handle it without issue, IME. Why Scott went from a KTM 950 to a BRP is somewhat (not completely) a mystery to me given that the KTM carries only a slight weight penalty over the BRP yet has tons of more capability all around. Availability of parts and maintenance simplicity are two reasons I could see a BRP having advantage over a 950.

sandalscout

Adventurer
It's the painter, not the brush. I think the KTM 950 will do all of that under a skilled rider. While it might require a little more work in the tight stuff, it will handle it without issue, IME. Why Scott went from a KTM 950 to a BRP is somewhat (not completely) a mystery to me given that the KTM carries only a slight weight penalty over the BRP yet has tons of more capability all around. Availability of parts and maintenance simplicity are two reasons I could see a BRP having advantage over a 950.

While I don't disagree that the rider can make most/all the difference in the world, according to factory weights, the BRP weighs nearly 100 pounds less. When it's nearly 1/4 less than the KTM, that's most than a slight penalty to me, and probably most.

Opps.... Wait a second, are you talking KTM 950 Enduro?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Forget the bike, who's FJ40 in the background of your attached pic? :cool:

Excited to see what you come up with on the 650L. I've spent a bit of time on one, wish I could say it was a long road-trip but it was around town burning. The 650L was 150% more refined than the KTM 450 XCW (plated) I'm burning around town on now.

Scott Brady

Founder
Forget the bike, who's FJ40 in the background of your attached pic? :cool:

That is my old FJ40. Owned it for five years, never a problem.
1977%20LC.jpg

gabepari

Explorer
Only advice I can give... Don't bolt too much to the bike and pack like you're going to carry everything on your back. Don't turn the 650 into a red 950 :)

For anything but slabbin', lighter and simpler is more muy bueno...

Gabe

Willman

Scott....

Great minds think alike......

I have been eyeing the 650L (or R plated) over the KLR lately.

I can't wait to read your findings on how you came to the 650L. This is going to make some great OJ reading!

Congrats on the bike!

I now have 650L envy!

:drool:

Keep up the great work.

Clutch

<---Pass
Scott....

Great minds think alike......

I have been eyeing the 650L (or R plated) over the KLR lately.

I can't wait to read your findings on how you came to the 650L. This is going to make some great OJ reading!

Congrats on the bike!

I now have 650L envy!

:drool:

Keep up the great work.

Youz guyz crack me up....Why is it whatever Scott buys ya'll want to copy him?:elkgrin: I'll bet if he bought a broken down trail mule, you guys would want that as well, and try to figure out how to put a ARB bumper and rooftop tent on that poor animal, youz funny people.

I dunno if I would envy that bike, it is waaay underpowered, heavy, flexy frame and noodlely forks. Funny, Scott is calling it "light weight"...more like a middle weight.

My buddy has one, and he is selling it because it can't hang with my KTM 505 and buying a WR 450.

If you want to envy a heavy Honda, you want to envy the XR650R with a HRC powerup kit....at least it will get down the highway with no problem, I would still take a 450 over the 650, if you want a lightweight ADV bike, get something like a 2010 Husqvarna TE 450...those motors are bomb proof!

attachment.php

Last edited:

Willman

Youz guyz crack me up....Why is it whatever Scott buys ya'll want to copy him?:elkgrin: I'll bet if he bought a broken down trail mule, you guys would want that as well, and try to figure out how to put a ARB bumper and rooftop tent on that poor animal, youz funny people.

Really?....

Where can a guy get one of those?

:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles