Lock Recommendation for Dual Sport Bike

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Can anyone recommend a good lock or give security tips for securing your bike while traveling? I know nothing offers complete security but looking to see what others do / use to prevent bike theft while on the road? Thanks.

gabepari

Explorer
First, don't ever take your eye off your bike OR gear.

When staying in motels, always request a downstairs room on the back side (out of sight from the office) and take your bike inside with you. Unless you ride one of those big pigs with hard cases and such that won't fit through the door. In that case, use the insurance money to buy a smaller bike :bike_rider:

As for locks, I've used a few different ones but have never had them tested. I'm sure the professionals will get past anything you latch on there.

Gabe

sandalscout

Adventurer
I have a disc lock that I use on occasion, but 95%+ of the time, I don't find it necessary as I generally ride out in the sticks and not near very many people. It's not uncommon for half of the guys I ride with to roll up to a restaurant for lunch and leave the keys in the ignition, helmet and jacket on the bike, and tank bag in place. I've even left my wallet in the tank bag once on accident. Sure, it's not the best idea in general, but being aware of your surrounds is a good way to judge whether the bike is safe. Generally, if I don't feel safe to leave my helmet laying on the ground next to the bike (so it doesn't fall), I'm not going to leave the bike.

If I was traveling any serious differences, or overseas, obviously I would feel different and prepare as needed.

robert

Expedition Leader
Depending on where I'm going I use several different methods. I keep a plastic coated cable that I made in one of my Givis and I run that through my jacket and helmet then lock them to the bike if I don't feel like carrying them. I carry a disc brake lock with me too. At night I take the Givis off with me. I've never tried taking it into a room before.

On the DRZ I have one of those heavy braided cables and a heavy duty lock that I carry. I've locked it to railings, signposts and small trees before. I've rolled it into ground floor rooms before also.

If anyone really wants it they'll take it- or damage it trying or just because they're mad. Both carry full coverage since it's cheap.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
What about a bike cover?

Anybody who is capable of getting past the steering lock and ignition and riding off, or lifting the whole bike into the back of a truck is more than capable of bring bolt cutters to the party. To be honest I'm more concerned about somebody driving into the bike than it going missing or being damaged in an attempted theft. I'm not saying I'm not worried about it, just that I don't think physical anti-theft devices would deter a professional thief and a casual thief is probably looking for an easy target like a key left in the ignition or a jacket left on the seat.

What worries me more are the RAM arms for the GPS cradle and (Double Take) mirrors that can be unscrewed by hand, the SW Motech luggage racks that can be removed with a coin or screwdriver, the tank bag is just zipped on and has a zip opening, etc. Its impractical to remove everything every time although I usually take the tank bag with me as it looks like a really easy target from just a few feet away.

I think that a bike cover would be more effective than a lock and probably would serve multiple purposes on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz