Upcountry's 07' Tacoma - Weekend Warrior Build - Work In Progress

upcountry

Explorer
Finally starting a build thread.

Truck is 2007 double cab 4WD 6 Speed Manual V6 TRD Off-Road version. Idea is weekend access to Eastern Washington. I hate the rain but somehow I still live in Seattle. I like the dry arid climate of the East side of the Cascades.

Bought the truck in November of 2007 after selling my 1989 Syncro Vanagon. My wife hated the van and wanted a reliable vehicle, even after a Go Westy 2500 engine upgrade the van was slow and had electrical demons that made a SAAB look like a good idea. We delivered our first child in January of 2008, and (as any of you who have kids know) it sure did change my life. We now have two kids, so the build has taken some time as the "backseat" project. Kids come first, and they sure do cost a lot. But, I paid the truck off last month, wrote the last $7500 check and I have the title now.

I started modifying the truck about two years ago after I got really frustrated with the really crappy stock suspension on the TRD model no less (If I were to buy a new truck again I would not buy the TRD model, rather I would spend the money I saved on suspension upgrades and do it right the first time).

Here is what the truck looks like today (March 6, 2012):

IMG_20120305_164523.jpg

IMG_20120226_133953.jpg

IMG_20120305_163554.jpg

Front suspension mods:
OME 885s (Replaced February 2012 with OME 886s WITH Toytec 10MM Top Spacer)
OME Nitrochargers (Replaced in February 2012 with OME Nitrocharger Sport Series)
Toytec 10MM top plate (Installed 2009 with original OME lift - re-installed in 2012 with upgraded lift)
Wheelers bumpstop (Installed August 2011- still on truck with OME 886s)
Light racing uca (Installed April 2011 - Still on truck)

Rear Suspension mods:
Toytec AAL and Toyota TSB spring packs (Replaced in November 2011 with AllPro Expedition Leaf Packs)
OME Nitrochargers (Replaced in February 2012 with RCD Billstien 5100s for l;onger travel - RCD shocks have around 12" of travel to match the new leaf packs)
AllPro U-bolt flip kit (Intstalled November 2011)

Front Bumper:
ARB BullBar - Old Style - No Fog Holes (Installed February 2012)
Rigid Industries LED Lamps (Installed June 2012)

Rear Bumper:
Badland Bumpers Rear Tube Bumper With Towing Receiver and Tire/Fuel Can/Hi-Lift Mount Swing Gate (Installed February 2012)

Safari Snorkel:
Safari Snorkel Kit - Ordered from Cruiser Outfitters (Installed February 2012)

Other Mods:
Allpro extended stainless brake lines (Installed June 2011)
Allpro sliders (Installed June 2011)
285/70/17s (Installed August 2009)
17" AR Mojave Teflon Black Wheels (Installed August 2009)
Fiberglass camper shell painted to match with "windoors" (Installed June 2008)
Max legal tint (Installed June 2008)
Hilift mounted in bed (Installed July 2011)
Hi-Lift slider adapter (Installed July 2011)
Rear Diff Breather Relocate (Installed October 2011)
SPOD Source accessory switch and relay kit (Installed October 2011)
Reverse lights (Installed November 2011 - Re-installed July 2012 with larger halogen lamps)
IPF 100 Watt Fogs (Installed February 2012)
Harborfreight 12,000# Winch with winch solenoid mounted in engine compartment (Mounted February 2012)
Thule Roof Racks on Gutter Feet (Installed June 2008)
Yesau 2800 2M Radio (Working on install now March 2012 - Update - still working on install!!!)
Laser/Radar Detector
GROM Audio I-Pod Adapter to Stock Stereo - Retains steering wheel control for I-Pod (Installed June 2010)

Trailers:
M101a2 Trailer (Too big for the trail but great for forest service roads)

Next mods:
Bud Built or ATO Skids
Gears

good3.jpg

good5.jpg

good4.jpg

good2.jpg

Truck1.JPG

Good1.jpg

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Light Racing UCA

I went with the Light Racing UCAs made by SPC becuase they are adjustable (have a built in cam system) and becuase they have a greased ball joint with a boot and require no maintenance. I looked at other versions with a uniball, but they all required rebuilds after limited mileage - I live in a very rainy muddy area and did not want to be worried about rebuild later.
UCA2.JPG

upcountry

Explorer
OME 885's and Allpro Stainless Brake Lines

Bump1.JPG

IMG_20111114_141720.jpg

Went with the 885's and Toytect top spacer. Added Allpro stainless brake lines. The stainless brake lines added a lot of braking power with less pedal effort. I really like the OME 885s with nitrochargers for the DC weight. It rides really well and yeilded about 3 inches of lift with the 10 mm top spacer. Also added a Wheelers extended length bumpstop.

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
SPOD Source Relay and Wiring Setup

spodwithcover.JPG
spodnocover1.JPG
switch1.JPG

I chose to go with the SPOD Source setup becuase I wanted a seperate system to run accessories. I plan to add a second battery. This is a clean system with 6 independent fused circuits switched through a relay connected to 6 different switches in the dash or console. First switch is setup to run add on reverse lights.

upcountry

Explorer
AR Mojave 17" Wheels

Decided to go with AR Mojave Teflon Coated 17" Wheels.
Centercaps gave me problems, so I ditched them.

wheel1.JPG

upcountry

Explorer
Allpro Expedition Spring Packs

Just installed in Novemeber 2011 to replace OEM TSB packs with Toytec AAL. I got about 3.5 inches of lift with these as opposed to about 2.5 inches with the AAL/TSB setup.

I really like the ride so far.

Also added Allpro Ubolt flip kit, and had to modify the stock bumpstop slightly to match the tapped holes in the ubolt plate.

allpro4.JPG

allproubolt1.JPG

allpro2.JPG

allpro3.JPG

allpro5.JPG

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Great looking truck do the rear shocks limit travel

Yes. They will limit down travel slightly. Its not an issue on the road but will ne an issue on a trail. I am looking at Billstein 5165s but need to take some measurements first and need to get a handle on valving.

Wheelers also sells some 5100s that are used with a 4 inch lift (RCD) that are 80$ each. I just found it hard to buy the Allpro fox remote resi shocks at $280 each. Too expensive.

Here are some pics of the flex with the OME nitrochargrs:

Shock_4.JPG

Shock_10.JPG

Shock_9.JPG

shock_6.JPG

Shock_8.JPG

Shock_1.JPG[

Last edited:

bat

Explorer
I have the 5100 that have 10" of travel and very happy with them. I did have to set my bump stops they are just a little long, but no problems on my last trip.

upcountry

Explorer
I have the 5100 that have 10" of travel and very happy with them. I did have to set my bump stops they are just a little long, but no problems on my last trip.

Thats good news. I take it you have the Allpro Expo pack as well? I know you gave me positive feedback on my other "For Sale" post. I have no problem getting a longer bumpstop.

Another option I am looking into is extending the shaft on my Nitrochargers - I found a bolt extender over at Tacoma Screw (amazing bolt supply store that is located here in Seattle).

Are these the shocks you are talking about? (The B-110s at the bottom): http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

I was also looking at the 5165s which sell for around 160$ each - which is half the price of the Fox setup Allpro is selling.

Thanks for the feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles