Interesting Winch Comparison Test

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
When winching a long way you help the winch by giving vehicle gas. As soon as it starts moving you keep on the gas to keep it moving.
Assuming you mean tractive effort on the part of the vehicle, I know that's become all the rage in the past decade or two, but it's certainly not good winching technique.
It's done with electric winches mainly because the vast majority of them (and the supporting electrics) aren't really up to the task of any sort of prolonged recovery. This is where PTO or hydraulic winches really have an advantage.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
T
I actually was going to buy the Warn winch. ............

However, when I sent a message to Warn asking them to provide me with information on whether or not the winch would fit my ARB winch bumper, I got a canned response back that said that Warn doesn't give advice on fitment

That's most likely for legal reasons.

If they said "Yes, it will fit XXX bumper" and then something bad happened, a person could sue them, and say "But they said it would work!"

There are to many variables involved in the mounting of the bumper, type of recovery, etc.

If you look on the ARB site, they list (most of) the winches that fit which style bumper.

mrchips

Adventurer
I have a Warn XP 9500 got it used, and it is an awesome piece of equipment when you are really stuck or trying to pull a friend out. The other main reason I wanted the XP is it is one of the few winches that uses a 6HP series wound motor. It really has the grunt and power when you need it and also has great line speed under load. My 2 cents. I am also about buying American and supporting American jobs.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Purchased a Warn 23 years ago this month. Since then it has been on several vehicles and been used very little mostly for others. Buy quality because its worthless at any cost if it does not work when you need it.

perterra

Adventurer
I confess, The pictures are not real clear & seeing on a crappy screen. But it appears both load conductors simply parallel one 'batt to the next & so on to the winch.
Their load should connect to the respective terminals at opposite ends of the parallel battery string. (sorry, can't sent 'pics from this computer.)
It seemed amusing with their efforts of measuring temperature, dutycycle, etc. they neglected to maximize available amperage
In fairness.. If all their winches tested on that non optimal parallel configuration, One might conclude equal handicap & result regardless.

I think it gives you a good baseline,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles